Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:23
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not quite what I meant... Aug 12, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
Agencies asking for impossible deadlines are not worth working for, but I'd personally prefer to be ranked based on 'delivery speed', instead of 'per word rate', if that makes sense?
This reminds me, I sometimes stumble upon profiles where our dear colleagues proudly state "I have never missed a deadline in my career!"
I don't know if it's me, but this awfully sounds like a doctor saying "I have never killed a patient on the operating table! Put your trust in me!"

The criteria for your ranking are quality (i.e. amount of corrections from the reviewer), punctuality (i.e. delivering by the deadline) and speed (i.e. delivery before the deadline). Most translators (myself included) are good at providing the necessary quality and sticking to the deadline, so basically, the determining factor to get to the top of the ranking is speed. If you are at the top of the ranking (and you charge peanuts), you are more likely to be picked by the agency for their jobs. Also, the time allocated to you for subsequent jobs will be shorter. It's another meat-market kind of race for jobs. No, thank you.

Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:23
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, I see Aug 12, 2022

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
The criteria for your ranking are quality (i.e. amount of corrections from the reviewer), punctuality (i.e. delivering by the deadline) and speed (i.e. delivery before the deadline). Most translators (myself included) are good at providing the necessary quality and sticking to the deadline, so basically, the determining factor to get to the top of the ranking is speed. If you are at the top of the ranking (and you charge peanuts), you are more likely to be picked by the agency for their jobs. Also, the time allocated to you for subsequent jobs will be shorter. It's another meat-market kind of race for jobs. No, thank you.

I don't believe I can relate to the kind of experience you described. English to Turkish jobs are fairly scarce in the European translation market, so there is no huge turnover. But if I were working with Turkish translation agencies I'd almost certainly come across the type of agencies you mean.
Oddly enough, I remember reading a post here (years ago) where a translation agency stopped working with a translator because they delivered their assignment a lot earlier than the deadline, they probably suspected foul play.
Still though, I can't help being amused whenever I see the gimmick 'I have never missed a deadline!'

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
In the case I quoted... Aug 12, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
I don't believe I can relate to the kind of experience you described. English to Turkish jobs are fairly scarce in the European translation market, so there is no huge turnover. But if I were working with Turkish translation agencies I'd almost certainly come across the type of agencies you mean.
Oddly enough, I remember reading a post here (years ago) where a translation agency stopped working with a translator because they delivered their assignment a lot earlier than the deadline, they probably suspected foul play.
Still though, I can't help being amused whenever I see the gimmick 'I have never missed a deadline!'

There is a checker, but everything seem to speed-oriented. I wonder how many shortcuts people take to be at the top, reviewers included. Extraordinary way of working, IMO.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Tables turned Aug 12, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
This reminds me, I sometimes stumble upon profiles where our dear colleagues proudly state "I have never missed a deadline in my career!"
I don't know if it's me, but this awfully sounds like a doctor saying "I have never killed a patient on the operating table! Put your trust in me!"

I agree, except... Have you never worked on the other side? Translators miss deadlines all the time, and it's a nightmare. You can correct errors, but you can't turn back time.

Not even if you're Cher.

Vladimir Pochinov
Adieu
Baran Keki
Laura Kingdon

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
How do you tell? Aug 12, 2022

Do they mention this? Or is it just a feeling you get based on your experience with them?

are those who put their "vendors" in a ranking system and one the factors determining the ranking is their delivery speed.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:23
English to Russian
Missed deadlines Aug 12, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

I agree, except... Have you never worked on the other side? Translators miss deadlines all the time, and it's a nightmare. You can correct errors, but you can't turn back time.

A perfect translation delivered late is worthless to the client who misses the deadline for submitting a bid for a multi-million project.

Adieu
Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Marcel Gomez
Christopher Schröder

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Depends Aug 12, 2022

I do a lot of revision work and some people are so serially late I'm genuinely shocked anybody still keeps giving them jobs.

In my experience, translators generally fall under 100% punctual (quite rare), 95% punctual (nonetheless considered generally responsible by PMs), or... maybe-70% punctual at best.

How the 70%-ers continue to get jobs astounds me. Occasionally, I try to nudge PMs to get rid of them, usually to no effect.

Btw, I'm from the obseesive-co
... See more
I do a lot of revision work and some people are so serially late I'm genuinely shocked anybody still keeps giving them jobs.

In my experience, translators generally fall under 100% punctual (quite rare), 95% punctual (nonetheless considered generally responsible by PMs), or... maybe-70% punctual at best.

How the 70%-ers continue to get jobs astounds me. Occasionally, I try to nudge PMs to get rid of them, usually to no effect.

Btw, I'm from the obseesive-compulsive 100% punctual group. I've negotiated a couple approved extensions (beforehand!) over the years, but I've never ever just vanished inexplicably for hours or days like many others do.

Baran Keki wrote:

are those who put their "vendors" in a ranking system and one the factors determining the ranking is their delivery speed.

Agencies asking for impossible deadlines are not worth working for, but I'd personally prefer to be ranked based on 'delivery speed', instead of 'per word rate', if that makes sense?

[Edited at 2022-08-12 12:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-08-12 15:04 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Aug 12, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Replacing words in a decent-looking translation? Are you quite CERTAIN you know your subject? Or are you implying their reviewers are the ones that don't?

Because while I don't know Turkish, I've worked on clinical trials in several other languages extensively. And the one thing that happens in all of them is that machine translation can't follow the terminology, because there are different terminology conventions for different sub-fields in different languages within that field depending on context.

You'll end up with stuff like IMPD Section Medicinal Product (should be: Drug Product), Summary of Amendments in Material Change (should be: Summary of Changes in Substantial Amendment), provision of claims to apply significant changes (just lol), Declarations of Identity (that are actually about identical-ness), Protocols that are actually Minutes or Certificates or Maintenance Records, Patient Cards that are CRFs or medical records, graphs that are schedules, etc. etc. etc.

I just saw your post, it looks like your posts are being vetted extensively as well?
I've been working on clinical trials since 2007 (on and off between 2007 and 2017, as an in-house, and pretty regularly since 2017 as a freelancer), so I'd say I know my subject well enough. Plus the kind of content I receive from that agency are mostly ICFs, patient & doctor letters etc., nothing that requires you to hold an MD degree.
I'm sure the reviewers know their subject as well, but this doesn't prevent them from behaving like a c**t, and change a perfectly good sentence that reads "you will receive an email from the site" to "you will be sent an email by the site", or change "site" to "center", or "treatment" to "care", "drug" to "medicine" etc. etc. They only replace words with their synonyms in such a way that will not alter the translation significantly or give rise to serious misinterpretations. Seeing as you don't speak Turkish, and I don't Russian, it would be difficult to explain this in English, but I hope you get what I'm saying.
As for MT, as I said I experimented with it only twice and I was surprised by how good it was with that relatively easy content. I mean how difficult a standard ICF can be? Of course I saw that there were inconsistencies like "investigational drug" or "study medication" to refer to the same thing, but I was careful enough to ensure a uniform terminology. And I will continue to do so.

Adieu
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Blimey Aug 12, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Not even if you're Cher.

After making fun of those guys, I hate to say (and I never thought I'd say) that I have never missed a deadline in 15 years. I thought this was a given. Save for a force majeure condition or serious illness you don't miss a deadline provided that it's reasonably long enough for you to deliver your work.
This puts things into perspective now though.. I always thought the agencies favoured me for the quality of my work (meaning they never received a complain about it from their end client), it never occurred to me that it might be because I always delivered on time...

Michele Fauble
Adieu
Philip Lees
Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Thomas Aug 12, 2022

[/quote]

I got 68 pages of such yada yada to sign from a Polish agency a couple of years ago. Naturally, I told them to go comb monkeys, as people say here in Portugal. I don't get how they can have 4.7* on the Blue Board. I guess many don't read agency contracts. [/quote]

Adding to the expression “to comb monkeys”... Do you know why we say “vai bugiar?” Until the middle of the 17th century, the word "macaco" (monkey) didn’t exist in Portuguese and this animal
... See more
[/quote]

I got 68 pages of such yada yada to sign from a Polish agency a couple of years ago. Naturally, I told them to go comb monkeys, as people say here in Portugal. I don't get how they can have 4.7* on the Blue Board. I guess many don't read agency contracts. [/quote]

Adding to the expression “to comb monkeys”... Do you know why we say “vai bugiar?” Until the middle of the 17th century, the word "macaco" (monkey) didn’t exist in Portuguese and this animal was called "bugio". According to some scholars, this is a possible origin of the expression "vai bugiar" (https://dicionario.priberam.org/bugio).

N.B. Please don't take the expression at face value...
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Aug 13, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Do they mention this? Or is it just a feeling you get based on your experience with them?

you are correct. My experience. They usually ask you to lower your rates or they send you emails telling you how great they are...

Adieu

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
True... Aug 13, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Btw, I'm from the obseesive-compulsive 100% punctual group. I've negotiated a couple approved extensions (beforehand!) over the years, but I've never ever just vanished inexplicably for hours or days like many others do.

But I was talking about those quite rare professionals. I occasionally ask for an extension, but I never deliver late without asking the client first. Most "translators" are pretty mediocre and have no linguistic skills or business sense. This is my experience too.

Baran Keki
Metin Demirel
Adieu
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
A question Aug 13, 2022

But I was talking about those quite rare professionals. I occasionally ask for an extension, but I never deliver late without asking the client first. Most "translators" are pretty mediocre and have no linguistic skills or business sense. This is my experience too.

Those speedy (grown) Bambinos are all located in Italy and working with Italian agencies, right? If the Italian agencies are paying (and those students, housewives, part-time musicians living with their parents are accepting) a pittance, then your style in the UK must be pretty cramped as the cost of living must be higher than it is in Italy? Are you only working with the UK agencies?
I've often wondered about this with my fellow Turkish translators living in the UK or Europe. They must be finding it hard to work from English to Turkish given the willingness of Turkish translators living in Turkey to work for peanuts. You can change your location, but not your mother tongue (except on Proz, of course, by adding that dodgy looking gray 'N' sign on your profile, always with the 'US variant')..

[Edited at 2022-08-13 11:49 GMT]

Adieu

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
The answer Aug 13, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Those speedy (grown) Bambinos are all located in Italy and working with Italian agencies, right? If the Italian agencies are paying (and those students, housewives, part-time musicians living with their parents are accepting) a pittance, then your style in the UK must be pretty cramped as the cost of living must be higher than it is in Italy? Are you only working with the UK agencies?
I've often wondered about this with my fellow Turkish translators living in the UK or Europe. They must be finding it hard to work from English to Turkish given the willingness of Turkish translators living in Turkey to work for peanuts. You can change your location, but not your mother tongue (except on Proz, of course, by adding that dodgy looking gray 'N' sign on your profile, always with the 'US variant')..

I don't work for Italian agencies and I only work regularly for 2 or 3 British agencies. Their rates have dropped considerably since the influx of Italian translators based in Italy charging an average of EUR 0,05... I work mainly for Northern European agencies. No American agencies either. I also have some direct clients. It is very hard - almost impossible - to find new clients these days because of the competition from the low-ballers.

[Edited at 2022-08-13 13:30 GMT]

Adieu

Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:23
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
The worst kind Aug 13, 2022

The worst kind I ever got to deal with was an Excel file that contained leftovers from different translation pojects! They were particularly difficult sentences, poorly-written sentences, etc. Of course I proceeded as a respectable homo sapiens: if you supply rubbish to the chef you can only get served the same. But I guess they were happy with that.

On a different note, If we want to understand agencies we must stand in their shoes. They are business-minded, while most translators
... See more
The worst kind I ever got to deal with was an Excel file that contained leftovers from different translation pojects! They were particularly difficult sentences, poorly-written sentences, etc. Of course I proceeded as a respectable homo sapiens: if you supply rubbish to the chef you can only get served the same. But I guess they were happy with that.

On a different note, If we want to understand agencies we must stand in their shoes. They are business-minded, while most translators are relatively more art-oriented.

Quantitative variables will always be preferred to qualitative variables in a situation where you have to choose a candidate among many. It is normal. People can negotiate the price and time of delivery, but they cannot establish a concrete quality standard. That's why agencies will always prefer inexpensive rates and fast deliveries.

Also, we shouldn't complain much about reviewers if their revisions are not taking our money. Why take it personally? They are not criticizing us, they are just trying to provide a smooth piece of text in their own sense. And you need a fresh brain to do that. If, "you will be notified" sounds more fluid than "you will receive a notification" to them, just let them to their job. I have been a reviewer myself and there is no option to "notify the translator ONLY of the most relevant changes".

Yet, there is another reason why reviewers seem to be doing "irrelevant" modifications:
They may have access to other material where certain synonyms or styles are used and they need to make the translation consistent with those other documents, which weren't sent to you, of course, because that would be too much reference material and you wouldn't read anyway, or because they are private documents, or any other imaginable reason. They may even be end-user personnel who know microscopic details that cannot be feasibly shared with the translator. You just need to accept the changes and reassure them that they have not screwed anything. And if you don't accept certain change just reject and tell the PM to trust you.

I am a translator but I also do revisions occasionally. I complain more about poor translators than poor reviewers.
Collapse

Laura Kingdon
Anna Jaffe

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most annoying types of agencies

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »