Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:18
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Another question Aug 13, 2022

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
I don't work for Italian agencies and I only work regularly for 2 or 3 British agencies. Their rates have dropped considerably since the influx of Italian translators based in Italy charging an average of EUR 0,05... I work mainly for Northern European agencies. No American agencies either. I also have some direct clients. It is very hard - almost impossible - to find new clients these days because of the competition from the low-ballers.

[Edited at 2022-08-13 13:30 GMT]

I see that you're not translating into English (or maybe you occasionally do?), but do you think/feel that Italian to English pays more than English to Italian? I have this hunch that any language pair where the target language is English pays more than the other way around (I'm talking about native English translators here, not Italians translating into English).

Adieu

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Late translators Aug 14, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:
This reminds me, I sometimes stumble upon profiles where our dear colleagues proudly state "I have never missed a deadline in my career!"
I don't know if it's me, but this awfully sounds like a doctor saying "I have never killed a patient on the operating table! Put your trust in me!"

I agree, except... Have you never worked on the other side? Translators miss deadlines all the time, and it's a nightmare. You can correct errors, but you can't turn back time.

Not even if you're Cher.

Right now, I’m dealing with one of those (very) late translators. She was supposed to deliver the translation on Friday for me to edit it during the long week-end. She asked the PM if she could deliver on Saturday. I have been in contact with the PM and 24 hours later there's nothing: no translation, no answer to emails or to Whatsapp messages. She seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth. I put myself in the PM’s shoes because this is a very long job and the deadline is the 18th…

Christopher Schröder
Adieu

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No... Aug 14, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

I see that you're not translating into English (or maybe you occasionally do?), but do you think/feel that Italian to English pays more than English to Italian?

it pays less and I don't translated into English...

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Amazing... Aug 14, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

Right now, I’m dealing with one of those (very) late translators. She was supposed to deliver the translation on Friday for me to edit it during the long week-end. She asked the PM if she could deliver on Saturday. I have been in contact with the PM and 24 hours later there's nothing: no translation, no answer to emails or to Whatsapp messages. She seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth. I put myself in the PM’s shoes because this is a very long job and the deadline is the 18th…

How can people get repeat business if they behave like that? Maybe they are cheap enough with good enough quality?

[Edited at 2022-08-14 11:33 GMT]

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:18
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Sure about that? Aug 14, 2022

it pays less and I don't translated into English...

Then a certain colleague in London must be worse off than you.

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Usually not Aug 15, 2022

My significant revision experience suggests that the late translators are also the ones who most abuse unread raw MT or only somehow manage to add errors.

Teresa Borges wrote:

How can people get repeat business if they behave like that? Maybe they are cheap enough with good enough quality?

[Edited at 2022-08-14 11:33 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I wouldn't know... Aug 15, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
Then a certain colleague in London must be worse off than you.

As far as I know, English translators translating into English from Italian and based in the UK command lower rates than the other way around, an Italian translator translating from English and based in the UK. I guess it's a demand issue. But, of course, it depends on the rate you charge...

Anne Maclennan
Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Possible consequences of late delivery Aug 26, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:
Right now, I’m dealing with one of those (very) late translators.

Some late deliverers do get their come-uppance.

Several years ago I failed to be selected for a translation project. One year later the job advertiser contacted me and apologized for not having selected me. The person she selected had been unsatisfactory, especially with respect to late delivery. I was offered a project by the client and she and I have worked together ever si
... See more
Teresa Borges wrote:
Right now, I’m dealing with one of those (very) late translators.

Some late deliverers do get their come-uppance.

Several years ago I failed to be selected for a translation project. One year later the job advertiser contacted me and apologized for not having selected me. The person she selected had been unsatisfactory, especially with respect to late delivery. I was offered a project by the client and she and I have worked together ever since.
Collapse

Adieu

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:18
Japanese to English
+ ...
annoying agency Aug 27, 2022

Some agencies come back to me after reviewing my translation with: "But Google says this". Either they suddenly fancy themselves Japanese language experts or they are looking for a discount. Most often the latter. They usually do not come back.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most annoying types of agencies

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »