yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 04:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 1, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I would like to know if any of you have done any translations or interpretations for any company located in Japan.

I did a Spanish-English interpretation for a company from this country and I think they are trying to avoid paying me or they are just trying to get a big discount for my interpreter services.

I'm not very familiar with the Japanese laws. Maybe you can recommend me to a website or government agency where I can find information
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I would like to know if any of you have done any translations or interpretations for any company located in Japan.

I did a Spanish-English interpretation for a company from this country and I think they are trying to avoid paying me or they are just trying to get a big discount for my interpreter services.

I'm not very familiar with the Japanese laws. Maybe you can recommend me to a website or government agency where I can find information about dishonest Japanese companies.

All your suggestions and comments are welcome.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia
Collapse

Matthew Olson
Matthew Olson
Japan
Local time: 17:11
Japanese to English
No bad experiences yet Dec 1, 2011

As a Japanese - English translator, currently all of the companies I work with regularly are located in Japan. In my (admittedly very limited) experience, I've not yet had any trouble with any of them yet. Although, one company does tend to like to postpone payment for certain jobs each month, usually big ones that come at the end of a billing cycle, but they have always paid.

Why do you think they might be trying to avoid paying you?

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Dec 1, 2011

Hi Mr. Olson,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I sent you an e-mail message. Please reply to me when you have a chance.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Yugoslavia

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Dishonest companies... Dec 1, 2011

yugoslavia wrote:

We have been doing translation and interpreting jobs since almost fifteen years in this country and never had a single payment problem, except for very few delays usually caused by small agencies' poor accounting management.

Provided you have concrete reasons to believe that they are trying to avoid paying you, did you ask them the reason? There was any feedback from the end user about your interpreting service?

I'm not very familiar with the Japanese laws. Maybe you can recommend me to a website or government agency where I can find information about dishonest Japanese companies.

I doubt that such information exists, neither officially nor unofficially. If you are sure that you provided an impeccable interpreting service, your best bet would be entering a comment in the BB and wait for their reaction.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
For the last 20 years Dec 1, 2011

I have been working with a Japanese company without any problems regarding payment. My customer is extremely polite, helpful and easy to work with.

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:11
English to Dutch
+ ...
Samurai Dec 1, 2011

I think you are having problems with a very "active" defaulter, right? If I'm correct, both you and I know what I'm referring to. Payment issues with Japanese companies are very rare (there's still something left of that old samurai code of honor), but this particular company is a notable exception.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:11
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
15 years... no problem Dec 1, 2011

I have been working with Japanese people for over 15 years, and have had no problem whatsoever thus far.

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Company location Dec 1, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

This company is Japanese and is based in The United States. I will tell you more details when you write me.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 08:11
Japanese to English
Lol Dec 1, 2011

Loek van Kooten wrote:

I think you are having problems with a very "active" defaulter, right? If I'm correct, both you and I know what I'm referring to. Payment issues with Japanese companies are very rare (there's still something left of that old samurai code of honor), but this particular company is a notable exception.

If they're based in Osaka, I think I know which company you're referring to. Their BB rating is so bad that any translator that works for them is practically asking for it at this point.

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Change the title, please Dec 2, 2011

yugoslavia wrote:
This company is Japanese and is based in The United States. I will tell you more details when you write me.

Then you shouldn't call it "Dishonest company from Japan".

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks TransAfrique Dec 2, 2011

Hi TransAfrique,

They have a different name. I will e-mail you and tell you the name. Do you know what Japanese government agencies keeps records of the business reputation of companies?

Thanks.

Yugoslavia

TransAfrique wrote:

Loek van Kooten wrote:

If they're based in Osaka, I think I know which company you're referring to. Their BB rating is so bad that any translator that works for them is practically asking for it at this point.

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forum posting name. Dec 2, 2011

Hi Mario,

I can change the name of my forum posting. I can change it Maybe for " Dishonest Japanese American company"

Thanks.

Yugoslavia

yugoslavia wrote:

Then you shouldn't call it "Dishonest company from Japan". [/quote]

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional information Dec 3, 2011

I would like to know what Japanese government agencies keep records of Japanese companies complaints done by consumers or clients.

In The United States we have government agencies that keep these records. Some of them are Better Business Bureau, Department of Consumer Affairs and The Department of Labor of different states of The United States.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The BBB is not a goverment agency Dec 3, 2011

The Better Business Bureau is not a government agency.
http://www.bbb.org/us/About-BBB/
"Role of BBB
BBB is the only business organization whose purpose is to advance trust across the marketplace. "

I personally don't know any organization in Japan that would provide the same role as the BBB in the US.

But as ot
... See more
"Role of BBB
BBB is the only business organization whose purpose is to advance trust across the marketplace. "

I personally don't know any organization in Japan that would provide the same role as the BBB in the US.

But as others already pointed out in other threads, the BBB is focusing on business to consumer issues, and an outsourcer-freelancer transaction is a business to business type of transaction, which is outside of their scope of operation.

It is still unclear to me whether the company you are talking about a Japanese company or a US company. Once you said it was a Japanese company, in the other posting you said "it is based in the US". But you are still looking for "blacklists" in Japan. It is confusing. The important thing is the registered address of the company's headquarters (as it is likely to be in the same country where the business was incorporated).

Once it is clear whether it is a US or Japanese company, you may want to change the title of this thread, although I suspect the timeframe for editing has passed, and now you need to ask a moderator to edit the title for you.

Katalin

[Edited at 2011-12-03 23:56 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:11
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, Katalin! Dec 3, 2011

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

The BBB is not a goverment agency

"Role of BBB

The BBB is most definitely not a government agency.

BTW, it costs $500 - $600 to register your business with them.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dishonest Japanese American Company

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »