Thread poster: CynthiaPiaud
CynthiaPiaud
CynthiaPiaud  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:32
English to French
Nov 5, 2008

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this question has already come up in the past, but I hope you will be able to help me out.

I am an English French subtitler based in the UK, and interested in carrying out audiovisual adaptation work (subtitling & voiceover mainly) for French labs.
So far, I have been working only for agencies based in England and in Belgium, where the question of "droits d'auteur" is not even discussed in most cases, or where one has to give up those righ
... See more
Hello everyone,

Sorry if this question has already come up in the past, but I hope you will be able to help me out.

I am an English French subtitler based in the UK, and interested in carrying out audiovisual adaptation work (subtitling & voiceover mainly) for French labs.
So far, I have been working only for agencies based in England and in Belgium, where the question of "droits d'auteur" is not even discussed in most cases, or where one has to give up those rights when signing a contract.

In France, however, all audiovisual translators keep their rights and must subscribe to a specific organism (AGESSA, SACEM, SCAM) which tracks the use/broadcasting of the programmes translated and then redistributes royalties to translators. Here in the UK, this doesn't seem to exist.

So, here's my problem:
if I work for a French lab/agency/company that only pays with "droits d'auteur", will I ever be able to be paid?

Have you heard of this issue before?

Thanks in advance.

Cynthia
Collapse

Kathleen Kownacki
Kathleen Kownacki
United States
Local time: 10:32
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
What was the outcome of this? Mar 29, 2023

Hi, Cynthia. I see it's been quite a long time since you posted this, but I am wondering what happened with getting royalties for your works.

I am trying to understand the process for registering my subtitle translation works (with SACEM). I have done the vast majority of these subtitle translations for an agency based in France, and I don't know if or how that will affect things or prevent me from registering my translation works.

I'd appreciate any information you h
... See more
Hi, Cynthia. I see it's been quite a long time since you posted this, but I am wondering what happened with getting royalties for your works.

I am trying to understand the process for registering my subtitle translation works (with SACEM). I have done the vast majority of these subtitle translations for an agency based in France, and I don't know if or how that will affect things or prevent me from registering my translation works.

I'd appreciate any information you have (or anyone else has) from your experience with this.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Audiovisual droits d'auteur/royalties

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »