Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Passport required to apply as a translator, is this common requirement?
Thread poster: Dwi Rachmelia
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 11:47
SITE STAFF
Poll queued up Aug 1, 2022

Christine Andersen wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

I wonder how many translators don't have a passport...

Maybe someone who is a paid member could suggest it as a poll question.

Now we just have to see when it appears

How about tomorrow?

There is also an upcoming poll asking about this subject, whether one has been asked to submit a passport as part of the onboarding process.

Jared

Rasha Abu ElSoud
Rasha Abu ElSoud  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:47
Member (2023)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Unfortunately, I fell for that! Aug 2, 2022

A copy of my passport was mandatory in a docs. form, and unfortunately I sent it. The company, which emailed me a couple of times to apply, never showed up again. I am worried to be honest. Any idea what could be done with the passport of someone overseas?

Jocelyn Laney
Jocelyn Laney  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:47
Japanese to English
Passports Jan 8, 2023

I have been asked to submit my passport information as part of the registration process for companies with government contracts. So far, everything has been fine.

However, if a company asks for passport information in the first "hello Dear" email, they should not be trusted.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 09:47
English to Russian
+ ...
This is different Jan 9, 2023

Jocelyn Laney wrote:

I have been asked to submit my passport information as part of the registration process for companies with government contracts. So far, everything has been fine.

Government/government-contracted agency requests that imply the pay with the taxpayers' money are legitimate, and the entire process is so detailed and clear at every angle, including all the participants, that there would be no need to seek any advises from Prozians. It's the government who issues our passports after all and, as Tom in London rightfully mentioned once, a while ago, it belongs to the government. If you want to tap into the federal cookie jar, directly or indirectly, you agree to their requests or you are out.

Otherwise, passport request is "common" only for the agencies that will never send you any work, at least for decent rates. And it is "double-common" for the agencies that require the amount of paperwork you've described. None of them have any rights/reasons to request your passport. Stay away. Unfortunately, you wasted enough time on them already.

Michele Fauble

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
passport Jan 9, 2023

Another "requirement" to shy away from is a demand to show a bank statement and a blank check from your bank. If this isn't a chance for fraud, I don't know what is. All you should reveal is your Bank name, address, telephone number, account number and routing number. Also, by no means should a US translator reply to a request for your Social Security number. Even to check on my bank balance by phone, all the bank requires is the last four digits.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Julien Malagnoux
Julien Malagnoux
Local time: 16:47
English to French
ID card and/or proof of address Jan 10, 2023

Bouncing back on this topic, please tell me if asking an ID card copy or proof of address, or even social security number is a common procedure ?
Is it risky to provide such documents ? Why would any agency, located outside of Europe, need those type of documents ?
Did you ever have to provide such docs ?

[Modifié le 2023-01-10 16:53 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
passport Jan 11, 2023

I was once asked to provide the main page of my passport (the page with the most information)
I sent it to them asking drawing a slanted line through my photo and inking out my birth date and passport number.
I never heard from them again.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passport required to apply as a translator, is this common requirement?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »