Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Finding work, fast, lost my previous client(s)
Thread poster: S_G_C
S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 17:44
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Never Dec 28, 2022

Hayley Wakenshaw wrote:

Once you've applied to an agency, don't just leave it at that. Send them a handwritten message 2-4 weeks after you've applied. Use any excuse to remind them that you are there. Translation Day, Christmas, Easter... Make the communications you send uniquely and recognisably yours. Greetings cards and stiff compliments cards for dashing off a quick friendly note can be printed very cheaply.

I would NEVER be able to afford the costs of such curtsy. I am living in Romania and contacting agencies in the English-speaking world outside Europe as I am not interested in Europe (except for the UK, maybe). So, although it would definitely be a nice and warm reminder, I will be sticking to emails.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Dec 29, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:

I am living in Romania and contacting agencies in the English-speaking world outside Europe as I am not interested in Europe (except for the UK, maybe).

Can beggars be choosers?

Lieven Malaise
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Baran Keki

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:44
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I am surprised Dec 29, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:
I am not interested in Europe (except for the UK, maybe).

I have many clients (agencies) in Europe, (France, Spain, Holland and NONE in the UK) who send me jobs from English into Italian. Not being interested in Europe is not a wise choice in my opinion.
My apologies for not agreeing with your choice on the matter, but you asked for advice, so this is mine.

Good luck and happy 2023 full of new jobs.

expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Rachel Waddington

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Work globally, and live locally Dec 29, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:

I am living in Romania and contacting agencies in the English-speaking world outside Europe as I am not interested in Europe (except for the UK, maybe).

If you are contacting only English-speaking countries because you translate from English you're not going to get very far. Why not Europe?
Probably that approach reflects the problems that you have been describing.
I'm European Portuguese and one of my first clients was based in Egypt. Not only did I work with them remotely but also locally.
One more advice: work globally, and live locally.

[Edited at 2022-12-29 11:56 GMT]

Nikolay Novitskiy
Angie Garbarino
Baran Keki
Thomas T. Frost
Kevin Fulton
Rachel Waddington

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Dec 29, 2022

I have been based in Lisbon since 2015 after returning from Belgium where I lived for 30 years, but I suppose my experience is similar to most translators: my customers (agencies and direct clients) are all over the world…

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
But why? Dec 29, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:

I am not interested in Europe (except for the UK, maybe).

What's wrong with Europe?

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
polishedwords

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Romanian Dec 29, 2022

Avoiding European agencies is one of the most absurd things I've heard on these forums (I think another one was about the going rates of South African translators based in SA). Anyways, I suspect Romanian is not a very sought after language in the European or US market, and there must be a lot of competition for those scarce jobs. If you're so desperate for work and if you can handle large volume (making use of MT or the 'BAT'), I'd definitely work with local Romanian agencies. Rates may not be ... See more
Avoiding European agencies is one of the most absurd things I've heard on these forums (I think another one was about the going rates of South African translators based in SA). Anyways, I suspect Romanian is not a very sought after language in the European or US market, and there must be a lot of competition for those scarce jobs. If you're so desperate for work and if you can handle large volume (making use of MT or the 'BAT'), I'd definitely work with local Romanian agencies. Rates may not be as high as those of European agencies, but you'll get a lot of work to compensate for that and as Teresa Borges says beggars can't be choosers. I'm afraid, you won't land a steady and decent paying European or US client any time soon in your language pair no matter how hard you work on your marketing skills. That's just a fact with the not-sought-after or "exotic" languages.Collapse

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Of course Dec 29, 2022

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Can beggars be choosers?

When one lives in Romania, where the State is working against the citizen, it's highly recommended. Don't even get me started, and the legislation applying to freelancers will undergo modifications in 2023.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Law Dec 29, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

If you are contacting only English-speaking countries because you translate from English you're not going to get very far. Why not Europe?

[Edited at 2022-12-29 11:56 GMT]

Because of the incoming taxation and invoicing modifications.
I've cancelled my European VAT number/code years ago. The stifling Romanian State forced me to do so and still caused me a lot of trouble years later. I've written about the situation a while ago, the stress they put me through worsened my already fragile health status. One of the Tax Authorities employees yelled at me over the phone and only lowered her voice when I told her I am literally shaking and on the verge of tears. Couldn't breathe properly. I don't want to deal with something like that ever again.

Please understand that the Romanian Tax Authorities can mess up your financial records, "lose" your statements or "forget" you have already registered them in their system, issue wrong payment notices, because their databases are not synchronized, and simply lock your accounts and take your money. Solving such a situation may take months.

expressisverbis

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Invoices Dec 29, 2022

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

What's wrong with Europe?

I can't issue invoices for Europe. I don't have a European VAT number/code. And the national legislation applying to freelancers will change in 2023.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Law Dec 29, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Avoiding European agencies is one of the most absurd things I've heard on these forums (I think another one was about the going rates of South African translators based in SA).

I can't issue invoices for Europe. I don't have a European VAT number/code. And the national legislation applying to freelancers will change in 2023.

I've contacted several Romanian agencies. No reply.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Law Dec 29, 2022

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Not being interested in Europe is not a wise choice in my opinion.
My apologies for not agreeing with your choice on the matter, but you asked for advice, so this is mine.

Good luck and happy 2023 full of new jobs.

Because of the incoming taxation and invoicing modifications.
I've cancelled my European VAT number/code years ago. The stifling Romanian State forced me to do so and still caused me a lot of trouble years later. I've written about the situation a while ago, the stress they put me through worsened my already fragile health status. One of the Tax Authorities employees yelled at me over the phone and only lowered her voice when I told her I am literally shaking and on the verge of tears. Couldn't breathe properly. I don't want to deal with something like that ever again.

Please understand that the Romanian Tax Authorities can mess up your financial records, "lose" your statements or "forget" you have already registered them in their system, issue wrong payment notices, because their databases are not synchronized, and simply lock your accounts and take your money. Solving such a situation may take months.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Law Dec 30, 2022

I don’t understand how you intend to work with Romanian agencies without having your VAT number. Are you saying that you don’t charge VAT in your country? AFAIK EU regulations require that we charge VAT in your country…

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Manuela C.
Manuela C.
English to French
+ ...
update on work offer Dec 30, 2022

Hi everyone, unfortunately it is very difficult to share projects with Sorana (sometimes I have extra requests that I could share) because of this invoicing issue, as I am based in France.

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
VAT in Romania Dec 30, 2022

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I don’t understand how you intend to work with Romanian agencies without having your VAT number. Are you saying that you don’t charge VAT in your country? AFAIK EU regulations require that we charge VAT in your country…

I am not required to charge VAT unless I surpass a certain turnover threshold. And at present, that threshold equals 300,000 lei (RON)/year.

I've been working under the national copyright/royalties law. That does not require me to charge VAT or issue invoices at all. The Beneficiary takes care of my dues.

If I were to work for any European agency, I would have to have another VAT code, valid for Europe only. National VAT codes are only valid in Romania.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding work, fast, lost my previous client(s)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »