Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Those "two references we can contact" + a sample of your previous work + names of projects
Thread poster: S_G_C
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 16:37
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Serious agencies. Jan 2, 2023

Serious agencies don't care about your references or translation samples (such samples are useless, anyway, since they can be from anybody). They simply ask you for a translation test or work once with you to evaluate your translation skills. If they are happy with te result they will come back. The rest is redundant nonsense.

If I'm asked for references or samples I always refer to my vague descriptions of translation jobs on Proz adding that I'm always willing to do a translation
... See more
Serious agencies don't care about your references or translation samples (such samples are useless, anyway, since they can be from anybody). They simply ask you for a translation test or work once with you to evaluate your translation skills. If they are happy with te result they will come back. The rest is redundant nonsense.

If I'm asked for references or samples I always refer to my vague descriptions of translation jobs on Proz adding that I'm always willing to do a translation test in any specialization they like me to. If that's not enough I can't take them seriously and I couldn't care less if they don't want to use my services.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Vladimir Pochinov
Laurent Di Raimondo
Grace Anderson
expressisverbis
Sławomira Kaczmarek

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sorana Jan 2, 2023

Sorana_M. wrote:
What if these references HAVE NOT agreed to being contacted?

The identities and contact details of your clients is confidential information -- you can't share it without permission or unless some law requires it. Also, a client who has agreed to be a reference is more likely to give you a positive review than one for whom the query comes as a surprise.

Should I obtain their written agreement and keep it on file?

Good idea. Don't wait until someone asks you for such a reference -- get three or four right now, so that you can send it immediately when someone asks for it.

Then, a sample (or several samples) of my previous work. What if it's covered by an NDA?

Go to Wikipedia, find a couple of articles in your chosen field, edit them, and translate them.

Names of projects.

I think it's okay to mention the names of end-end-clients. So, if I have done work that would ultimately have been used by Microsoft, then I can say "Microsoft". Or, if I did some translation that mentioned Pfizer, then I can say "Pfizer", even if Pfizer was almost certainly not my client or even the agency's direct client.

Lieven Malaise wrote:
Serious agencies don't care about your references or translation samples ... They simply ask you for a translation test or work once with you to evaluate your translation skills.

I disagree.

And most test translations that I do are not set by the agencies -- they come from end-clients who do not trust the agency's own judgment about whether I'm a good translator.

[Edited at 2023-01-02 10:49 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 15:37
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sorana Jan 3, 2023

Sorana_M. wrote:

So.
I've been asked to provide a bunch of stuff since I became a translator. Among others, the names and email addresses/telephone numbers of two references they (the agency) could contact.

What if these references HAVE NOT agreed to being contacted? Should I obtain their written agreement and keep it on file?

Then, a sample (or several samples) of my previous work.
What if it's covered by an NDA?

Or some of my previous test results. Tests taken with other agencies, of course. Mind-blowing.

Names of projects. I have even been advised to include them in my proz.com profile. Say what??? And risk infringing the NDAs? Like, do these people/agencies even know what an NDA is and what it says?

When we start our career as translators, there are companies that ask a lot of things and sometimes the impossible.
You are not the only translator, and you won't be the last one facing such requirements!
The only thing you have to do is to accept or not to send documentation, which means, you have to screen your potential clients, and provide them with what you believe it is fair and sufficient for them only.
There's no point in complaining or wasting our time on things that possibly won't bring any benefit to us.
So my advice is to see if it is worth sending certain documents to certain companies or not, and move on.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Baran Keki
Angie Garbarino
Vladimir Pochinov

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 17:37
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Man... Jan 3, 2023

I've abruptly interrupted a registration process with a UK agency when the forms asked for a screenshot of my antivirus software.

Michael Newton
Christine Andersen

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
A long time ago Jan 3, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
When we start our career as translators, ...

Mine began around 1998...

I'm not complaining, just baffled.

[Edited at 2023-01-03 18:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-03 18:12 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why? Jan 3, 2023

Sorana_M. wrote:

I've abruptly interrupted a registration process with a UK agency when the forms asked for a screenshot of my antivirus software.

Seems reasonable

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Kevin Fulton

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Pendant? Those bastards... Jan 3, 2023

I hope they are not one of those agencies that make you spend 3 hours for all that stuff and then bless you with a 300-word project once a year.

expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Michael Newton
Tom in London

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You read my mind Jan 3, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:

I hope they are not one of those agencies that make you spend 3 hours for all that stuff and then bless you with a 300-word project once a year.

My impression and experience is that the more documents and/or forms a translation agency requests, the less likely they are to assign projects to a translator.
I'm not generalising, but that's what I think.

Baran Keki
Philip Lees
Christopher Schröder
Michael Newton
Joakim Braun
Tom in London
Metin Demirel

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
True enough Jan 4, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:

But don't let this discourage you. If their favourite translator dies or takes one too many holidays and becomes unavailable, you take their spot and get jobs regularly. Of course, 'boutique agencies' (we don't have those in our language pair I'm afraid) are loyal to their translators, they'll dutifully wait till they've returned from their holidays, though in the case of death they'll have to go for other translators in their database unless they're able to make contact with the departed in the afterlife...

Metin Demirel

Metin Demirel
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
You're right Jan 4, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

But don't let this discourage you.

Sorry if my previous post sounded pessimistic. Of course, just because a client has only sent a small job so far, that doesn't necessarily mean they will never assign bigger projects in the future. But something that happened today had me thinking. I am never reluctant to take a small job. A small job can be the start of a long and lucrative cooperation. And more importantly, if they have chosen to contact me for a project, ethically I must accept the job no matter the size. That must be the proper way, right? I wouldn't like it if I were denied service because of the financial significance of the service I need.

I have more than 30 jobs delivered but still awaiting to be invoiced in the last 3 years, because the amounts are very small for a bank transfer, and -as you know- PayPal doesn't operate in Turkey anymore (around €1000 in total to be invoiced with amounts varying from 10 to 200 euros for more than 10 agencies). So I just emailed all those clients to ask if they would accept to pay me via Payoneer in order to avoid bank fees on both ends. One of them reminded me of their invoicing instructions instead of trying to be helpful. From now on, I might not be that willing to accept every job.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Or... Jan 4, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:

Or (as is more usually the case) nothing - but every year they send you their Christmas greetings.

Elena Feriani
Metin Demirel
Arianne Farah
Wolfgang Schoene
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Christine Andersen

Metin Demirel
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Marketing emails to the service providers Jan 5, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Metin Demirel wrote:

Or (as is more usually the case) nothing - but every year they send you their Christmas greetings.

Some of them added me to their mailing lists, offering me lower prices for translation services. I think they forget that I can offer myself prices even lower than theirs when I am my own client needing translation services.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
means little Jan 5, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Sorana_M. wrote:

Seems reasonable

It's not "reasonable" - it's just the most pointless box-ticking.

As far security of the data is concerned, a screenshot proves next to nothing.

If a client is really so much worried about data security there is a very simple solution: make the translator work in client's own premises on client's own equipment. It's not a silly screenshot that is ever going to be a valid substitute for that.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Security issues in different settings Jan 5, 2023

Daryo wrote:

As far security of the data is concerned, a screenshot proves next to nothing.

If a client is really so much worried about data security there is a very simple solution: make the translator work in client's own premises on client's own equipment. It's not a silly screenshot that is ever going to be a valid substitute for that.

I remember how many agencies and fellow translators were reluctant to use cloud-based solutions (file storage, project management, translation platforms, etc.) at the early stages of adoption. Now, many agencies use cloud-based platforms for all those purposes: Microsoft 365 online apps combined with OneDrive for Business, Google Workplace with Google Drive, Smartcat, Phrase (former Memsource), Protemos, XTM, Trados GroupShare or Trados Live Team, to name a few.

In terms of security, cloud-based storage platforms that support end-to-end encryption, such as Tresorit, are much more secure than many on-premises set-ups deployed by large companies. Several years ago, they challenged hackers worldwide to break their security arrangements, offering a hefty award. No one has claimed the prize money so far.

On the other hand, you certainly know from your personal experiences that many agency clients and direct clients send their project files using insecure email channels while instructing that you must take extra security steps to protect their precious material on your computer.

Jorge Payan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Those "two references we can contact" + a sample of your previous work + names of projects

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »