Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree Jan 9, 2023

Jocelyn Laney wrote:

After completing the application process, this company denied me because I don't have a bio/medical degree. As you said, why would a doctor or scientist be doing translation instead of focusing on their main job? The number of people who would choose this, and are not already working another company, is very few.

Meanwhile, I have gotten plenty of medical jobs (patient paperwork, research papers, clinical trial documents) from other agencies that are less picky about translator background. I enjoy patient paperwork because the grammar is straightforward and I feel that someone is being helped directly.

True, some companies need to told... I once applied to an LSP that 'required' a medical degree to grant me the honor of working with them, and that for my rare combinations from Scandinavian languages! Like a doctor with command of those languages would work for those rates. Anyway, in a month or so they came to their senses, and we have been working from time to time since then, degree or no degree.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:56
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Discrimination by language pair? Jan 9, 2023

Jocelyn Laney wrote:

After completing the application process, this company denied me because I don't have a bio/medical degree. As you said, why would a doctor or scientist be doing translation instead of focusing on their main job? The number of people who would choose this, and are not already working another company, is very few.

Meanwhile, I have gotten plenty of medical jobs (patient paperwork, research papers, clinical trial documents) from other agencies that are less picky about translator background. I enjoy patient paperwork because the grammar is straightforward and I feel that someone is being helped directly.

So not only do they pay you differently based on your language, but they also get to be picky about your qualifications? That's interesting. They got me into their books knowing full well I was a legal translator with zero medical work experience.
Agreed, clinical trials are probably the easiest field of translation.

Michael Newton

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:56
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Simply ditch this company Jan 10, 2023

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I know which agency the OP is talking about.
I used to work with them until several years ago, but stopped working since the rates have decreased, and their payment options are either checks or Paypal, but since I don't accept checks, which leaves Paypal as my only option. But they deduct a fee of $10 for handling charges (?) from your invoice. How time consuming and tech-savvy one must be to access the Paypal page to send money to people who you owe to than
... See more
If I'm not mistaken, I believe I know which agency the OP is talking about.
I used to work with them until several years ago, but stopped working since the rates have decreased, and their payment options are either checks or Paypal, but since I don't accept checks, which leaves Paypal as my only option. But they deduct a fee of $10 for handling charges (?) from your invoice. How time consuming and tech-savvy one must be to access the Paypal page to send money to people who you owe to than writing a check! Does the accounting department need special skills to send money via Paypal? I doubt so.

Since then, I get inquiries twice or three times a year from this company including branch offices around the world including the Japan office, but those inquiries are not translation related but rather looking for full time Project Managers so I simply ignore them.

@ Baran

If you would just ignore them, life would be much easier. Why worry about a company and the profits they make? I would label this particular agency you're talking about as borderline scammer. I'm not saying that they don't pay you once you've delivered your translation or proofreading or whatever, but what they sell to their customers are low quality products disguising them to be top notch quality products. That's why I call them borderline scammers. There are people/organizations who are very good at these kind of businesses in the world. I wouldn't want to get involved with them, and I'm 100% sure that you don't want to have anything to do with them due to the hassle you mentioned earlier in your posts. So why bother how much they make? Does this affect your business? Personally, I think this is none of our business, especially if you are not working with them.

This may be a bit off topic, but if I stick to the topic title "How is this company still in business?", I would like to bring to your attention that there is a certain "consulting" company who never pays their translators whatsoever for years, and what amazes me is that they are still in business, and have a straight "1"s on BB for the past year (2022) from Prozcom members and even Certified Pro members stating that they have not been paid at all. This puzzles me more than the agency you mentioned in this topic. At least, the agency you mentioned earlier PAYS their translators even if they are peanuts.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Michael Newton
Jorge Payan

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Personal medical information, lol Jan 10, 2023

Personal data protection in medicine is a boogeyman summoned almost exclusively for the purposes of obfuscation, usually to limit disclosure or understanding of major screwups

Kaspars Melkis wrote:

If you put on a black hat, you can say that it is a very good company. They make sure that no personal medical information gets leaked by translators misplacing pdf files or losing their laptops. The special software makes sure that your computer doesn't have any spyware as well. As for the quality, these jobs are not for patient care but for regulators who need to see what side-effects the study drug might potentially have and therefore don't require impeccable style. The most important is that the translator doesn't miss anything even though it is understood that most of included information is not relevant. The regulations are useful as they make sure that all steps of the process are duly performed.

From another perspective, however, ticking all the checkboxes can be superficial and a lack of quality culture can be disastrous even in tightly regulated environment. A good recent example is an Indian pharmaceutical manufacturer who changed the supplier of one of the ingredients for their cough syrup, and many children died due to poisonous impurities in it. It makes me wary of medicines manufactured in India even though the regulators assure that they are produced according to the same strict quality standards. Regulators cannot inspect every facility all the time and if the Indian culture is to tick the checkbox without verifying the actual product, that is not worth much.

Some parts of the regulatory institutions can also be corrupted. When the FDA approved aducanumab for treatment of Alzheimer's disease it was done against the recommendation of the FDA scientific committee. The drug not only has very low effectiveness but it can also cause brain swelling, a serious side effect that arguably in some cases had caused death. The drug trials are often run internationally and in this case precise translation of medical reports are important as mistakes could lead to a missed safety signal.

I have no axe to grind about this company. I worked for it but when they couldn't pay me as much as I wanted, we parted our ways. I am not going to badmouth a translation agency just because they pay less than I wanted. It may be that I am just greedy and overestimate my capabilities. Whatever, I prefer working with texts that are more challenging and require high quality even if such jobs are rarer. It may not be suitable for everyone but I can see where this agency stands, what is the global business environment and why they cannot pay more. The rotten part is elsewhere and they are just trying to make money, just like all of us.

[Edited at 2023-01-07 09:29 GMT]

Angelique Todesco
Angelique Todesco  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
To anyone still working with this company Jan 10, 2023

Is anyone else seeing a huge fall in the available work from this company. I have worked with them since 2008, and like the OP my rate is going backwards. I recently refused an exciting opportunity to get more work by dropping my rate and now seeing hardly any work and was interested to see if anyone else is seeing no work or if it is because I refused the 'exciting opportunity' or the fact that I told them that MT would kill a translator's livelihood rather than open up exciting new avenues.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:56
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Opens many other questions Jan 10, 2023

The same way brands and companies producing extremely low quality items are still in business. You will find zillion 1 ratings on Trustpilot about their appalling quality and they are still in business. Example industries: apparel, home appliances, various gadgets, and other consumer goods.

As an example, you pay €80 for pants, and they pile away and seams open up after the third wash. People report this on Trustpilot. The company is still in business, and will continue to be. Un
... See more
The same way brands and companies producing extremely low quality items are still in business. You will find zillion 1 ratings on Trustpilot about their appalling quality and they are still in business. Example industries: apparel, home appliances, various gadgets, and other consumer goods.

As an example, you pay €80 for pants, and they pile away and seams open up after the third wash. People report this on Trustpilot. The company is still in business, and will continue to be. Unlike translation, here people can easily check and report the bad quality, but it doesn’t change anything.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Dan Lucas

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Money laundering in the translation industry Jan 10, 2023

When people bring up the fact that some companies earn millions or billions, I've always thought that translation could be a perfect field for money laundering.

Fake or subsidiary companies would pay the company .12 to. 30 a word for a project (some random document, it doesn't matter, the translation is not important). Company would either just machine translates or pays someone cheap (just to make things look real). Agency would also do legitimate translation work just to maintain
... See more
When people bring up the fact that some companies earn millions or billions, I've always thought that translation could be a perfect field for money laundering.

Fake or subsidiary companies would pay the company .12 to. 30 a word for a project (some random document, it doesn't matter, the translation is not important). Company would either just machine translates or pays someone cheap (just to make things look real). Agency would also do legitimate translation work just to maintain the appearance of legitimacy.

Example: I want to launder 10,000. XXXXXXTranslations would set up an LLC called "Vandalay Industries". Vandalay Industries would pay XXXXXXTranslations 20,000 for a project. The translation company would "earn" 10,000 in income on the books and pocket the other, now laundered 10,000 paid to it from the fake LLC.

[Edited at 2023-01-10 17:37 GMT]
Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:56
English to Russian
@Justin -- This cute little scheme suggests that you might have been born in Russia Jan 10, 2023

Justin Trumain wrote:

Fake or subsidiary companies would pay the company .12 to. 30 a word for a project (some random document, it doesn't matter, the translation is not important). Company would either just machine translates or pays someone cheap (just to make things look real).

Example: I want to launder 10,000. XXXXXXTranslations would set up an LLC called "Vandalay Industries". Vandalay Industries would pay XXXXXXTranslations 20,000 for a project. The translation company would "earn" 10,000 in income on the books and pocket the other, now laundered 10,000 paid to it from the fake LLC.

Every Russian has been hearing from the early childhood something like "This is [Moscow, Russia, whatever], everything is a hustle, everyone is a hustler. You gotta hustle if you wanna survive in Moscow [...], and if you don’t wanna hustle, you're a loser and a failure!"

I know quite a few stories about some ingenious schemes ex-Russians implemented in the USA. For instance, a pizza guy rings up your doorbell (it's a true story from the 1970s). You open the door and tell him you didn't order any pizza. He shows you an order slip with your home address details. You refuse to take the delivery. The pizza guy is begging you to call his boss and tell him you won't pay for the pizza. You make a call using your stationary phone (yeah, there was a time when people used those contraptions). After a 5-minute talk you tell the pizza guy to get lost, and he vanishes in thin air. When a phone bill comes in next month, you find out that 5-minute talk cost you $250 because the phone number you dialed was a paid one ($50 per minute) registered somewhere in the Pacific Islands.

Baran Keki

Brittany Sanders
Brittany Sanders  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Cheaping out comes with a price May 11, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

When I have answered proz.com ads for medical translators, the agencies are not interested in a medical background. They are looking for the lowest of the low.

So those agencies would rather pay thousands to lawyers instead of hundreds to translators? If they hire an unqualified translator for a medical translation, and a patient gets hurt, a process server might come knocking on their door faster than they blink. (Especially if they and the patient are in USA--lawsuits are practically a pastime in this country.) Being too cheap can cost you money.

Laurent Di Raimondo

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:56
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Medical errors May 11, 2023

Brittany Sanders wrote:

Michael Newton wrote:

When I have answered proz.com ads for medical translators, the agencies are not interested in a medical background. They are looking for the lowest of the low.

So those agencies would rather pay thousands to lawyers instead of hundreds to translators? If they hire an unqualified translator for a medical translation, and a patient gets hurt, a process server might come knocking on their door faster than they blink. (Especially if they and the patient are in USA--lawsuits are practically a pastime in this country.) Being too cheap can cost you money.

“Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

Are translators really held to a higher standard than doctors, nurses and other health care professionals? Or would they just be considered another inevitable source of medical errors?

[Edited at 2023-05-11 22:10 GMT]

writeaway

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
still in business May 12, 2023

This agency was banned for a month or so. Look at the proliferation of "1s" and "2s". Then, presto-changeo, they were rehabilitated and are back in the saddle, complete with the "1s" and "2s". This has happened multiple times with this agency. Miracles do happen.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Still in business? May 20, 2023

The Russians have a word for this: "blat" (influence).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is this company still in business?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »