Emiliana Sarra
Emiliana Sarra
France
Local time: 20:04
French to English
+ ...
Jan 5, 2023

Hello!

I have recently been contacted for my first certified translation (I'm not talking about sworn translation or being a 'certified' translator here, as I know they are separate things and requirements differ from country to country).

I created a certificate of competeny and accuracy ("to the best of my belief..." etc.), following the guidelines from the client.

I do not, however, have my own stamp. A stamp was not mentioned by the client, and as it's
... See more
Hello!

I have recently been contacted for my first certified translation (I'm not talking about sworn translation or being a 'certified' translator here, as I know they are separate things and requirements differ from country to country).

I created a certificate of competeny and accuracy ("to the best of my belief..." etc.), following the guidelines from the client.

I do not, however, have my own stamp. A stamp was not mentioned by the client, and as it's a private individual I'm not sure they would know the answer to my question.
I wanted to ask the community whether you have found that a stamp is a strict requirement for certified translations? (In this case, I am talking about the translation of documents for the US Citizenship and Immigration Service, if it helps!).

I often see a stamp mentioned by other agencies / individuals providing certified translations for the USCIS, however I am not sure how much this is a necessity or just a 'nice touch' to show the professionalism and formality of their certificates.

If a stamp is necessary, do you know if it needs to include any specific information? (or just perhaps the name of my company etc.?)

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Emmi
Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
ITI seal Jan 5, 2023

Members of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), UK, can use an ITI seal to be placed on the translated document (or a bunch of bound sheets) along with the translator's own certification that you mentioned in your post.

ITI seal

I think ATA must offer similar seals for its members.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Emiliana Jan 5, 2023

If you're a member of a French translator association (surely you are!), you can ask your colleagues there:
https://www.proz.com/translator_associations

Asking advice from a local translator association is the best way to get answers for this particular question.

Emiliana Sarra wrote:
I created a certificate of competeny and accuracy ("to the best of my belief..." etc.), following the guidelines from the client. ... A stamp was not mentioned by the client, and as it's a private individual I'm not sure they would know the answer to my question.

Exactly. This type of client relies on the translator to be the expert and to know what is required. The client may provide the translator with some of the requirements (that they got from some website or from the relevant organization), but the translator must be able to provide something that the organization will accept outright. This is why it's best to get advice from other local translators who do this type of work.

I googled and found this website:
https://citizenpath.com/faq/certified-translation/
which provides a sample translation, and the sample file does not include a stamp.

That said, sometimes anything you can do to make the translation appear more official will help, and a stamp will certainly help your translation look more official. (-: On the other hand, using a stamp may imply that you are some kind of official... and you're not, so you have to be careful with the wording of the stamp.

I googled some more and found this website:
https://www.bureauworks.com/blog/what-are-the-uscis-translation-requirements
which says that the translation does not need to be notarized (which often involves a stamp).

If you do find the answer, remember to post a reply here so that future ProZ.com users can learn from it.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:04
English to French
+ ...
No such requirement for US Federal agencies Jan 5, 2023

To certify a translation for a US Federal entity (including, but not limited to, Federal Courts, US Departments such as USCIS, etc.), there are NO requirements other than a statement certifying that the translator is competent to translate and the translator's signature.

The American Translators Association does provide ATA-Certified translators with a stamp (or, rather, a low-res jpg image to be used as a stamp) containing the ATA logo, the translator's name and certification numbe
... See more
To certify a translation for a US Federal entity (including, but not limited to, Federal Courts, US Departments such as USCIS, etc.), there are NO requirements other than a statement certifying that the translator is competent to translate and the translator's signature.

The American Translators Association does provide ATA-Certified translators with a stamp (or, rather, a low-res jpg image to be used as a stamp) containing the ATA logo, the translator's name and certification number, and the language pair involved. Although this may help in appearing more professional, there is no requirement at any government or private level in the USA for a stamp in a certification by a private person (just like there is no such requirement for a "Certification sur l'honneur" in France.

Additionally, there are NO requirements in the USA for professional or academic credentials to certify a translation. Any individual may do so.

There may be here and there a requirement to have the signature verified by a notary public, but NOT at the Federal level.

Please note that I have been living and working as a translator in the USA for > 30 years, and I therefore know what I am talking about.

J L

Emiliana Sarra wrote:

Hello!

I do not, however, have my own stamp. A stamp was not mentioned by the client, and as it's a private individual I'm not sure they would know the answer to my question.
I wanted to ask the community whether you have found that a stamp is a strict requirement for certified translations? (In this case, I am talking about the translation of documents for the US Citizenship and Immigration Service, if it helps!).

I often see a stamp mentioned by other agencies / individuals providing certified translations for the USCIS, however I am not sure how much this is a necessity or just a 'nice touch' to show the professionalism and formality of their certificates.

If a stamp is necessary, do you know if it needs to include any specific information? (or just perhaps the name of my company etc.?)

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Emmi

[Edited at 2023-01-05 19:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-05 19:13 GMT]
Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Translator's certifications Jan 5, 2023

Jean Lachaud wrote:

Additionally, there are NO requirements in the USA for professional or academic credentials to certify a translation. Any individual may do so.

There may be here and there a requirement to have the signature verified by a notary public, but NOT at the Federal level.

No sworn translators in Russia. Also, there's no requirement to put a translator's stamp or seal on the translated document. However, a Russian notary public must verify that you hold a relevant diploma/degree before certifying your signature.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Emiliana Jan 5, 2023

As far as I know different countries use different systems. In Portugal, unlike other countries, there are no sworn or certified translators. To certify a translation, so that a translated document is legally valid, it is necessary to make its certification at the organisations empowered to do so (namely Notary’s Offices and Attorneys). In the USA there is also no such thing as a sworn/certified translator. The USCIS does not impose any professional or academic requirements on who can produce ... See more
As far as I know different countries use different systems. In Portugal, unlike other countries, there are no sworn or certified translators. To certify a translation, so that a translated document is legally valid, it is necessary to make its certification at the organisations empowered to do so (namely Notary’s Offices and Attorneys). In the USA there is also no such thing as a sworn/certified translator. The USCIS does not impose any professional or academic requirements on who can produce a certified translation. According to the American Translators Association, “A certified translation is a translation accompanied by a signed statement attesting that the translation is accurate and complete to the best of the translator's knowledge and ability.” This is also known as a “Certificate of Accuracy”. You have a sample here:

https://www.unlv.edu/sites/default/files/page_files/1635/Translators_Statement_ver140627-UA-1_ACC.pdf
Collapse

Armine Abelyan
Armine Abelyan
Armenia
Local time: 22:04
English to Armenian
+ ...
Sealed translations Jan 6, 2023

I am using my own seal as a private entrepreneur.
I would say that the seal with tax code is better to shown the translator as registered than to talk about the quality.

As an agency though, you are always responsible and several checking of translations are provided to the customer when you seal something because such documents are further provided to official bodies.
<
... See more
I am using my own seal as a private entrepreneur.
I would say that the seal with tax code is better to shown the translator as registered than to talk about the quality.

As an agency though, you are always responsible and several checking of translations are provided to the customer when you seal something because such documents are further provided to official bodies.

Armine Abelyan
www.translations.am
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator Stamp for Certified Translations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »