Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Has your translation job ever been affected by a government decision?
Thread poster: José Julián Díaz
José Julián Díaz
José Julián Díaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2023

On May 31st, 2021, the Mexican pharmaceutical translation guild suffered a serious sudden impact by the decree introduced by the Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risks (COFEPRIS)…

Mexico introduces new decree on health regulation

The changes introduced to the Health Supplies Regulation include:
Expansion of capacities for the reception of files in English:... See more

On May 31st, 2021, the Mexican pharmaceutical translation guild suffered a serious sudden impact by the decree introduced by the Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risks (COFEPRIS)…

Mexico introduces new decree on health regulation

The changes introduced to the Health Supplies Regulation include:
Expansion of capacities for the reception of files in English:
• COFEPRIS eliminates the requirement to submit dossiers only in Spanish, now accepting them also in English, therefore, eliminating the time and cost of expert translations by third parties.
• By accepting submissions in English, Mexico's position as a recipient of global innovation is strengthened, opening the door to new medical developments from around the world.

https://gabionline.net/guidelines/mexico-introduces-new-decree-on-health-regulation
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:59
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Of course... Jan 8, 2023

It’s impossible to escape government decisions (good and bad), unless we move abroad (and then become affected by decisions taken by a different government). In the meanwhile, we voice our dissent publicly and, if needed, we protest peacefully or we will wait for the next election…

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
South Africa Jan 8, 2023

José Julián Díaz wrote:
By accepting submissions in English, Mexico's position as a recipient of global innovation is strengthened, opening the door to new medical developments from around the world.

Yes. The new South African government initially claimed that they would promote all local languages, but quickly did an about-face and made English the main language of government, commerce, the media and academia (citing the usual excuses, e.g. that it is an international language, etc. etc.). Fortunately, my target language continues to be used in commerce and the media, although not nearly as much as previously... and of course many people still speak it, despite the government's attempts at killing it. The other local languages don't really stand a chance, though, and the government now promotes those languages as something that should be taught only in the first few years of schooling.

[Edited at 2023-01-08 19:20 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ukraine Jan 8, 2023

Let's not forget the Ukrainian government's systematic derussification of the past decade. I'm sure that that must have caused quite a few losses in employment, e.g. school teachers, university personnel, advertising translators, media translators, etc. when it became illegal (or just very difficult) to study Soviet history and use the Russian language for various functions.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 17:59
English to Finnish
+ ...
Yes, it has Jan 8, 2023

After The Finnish Parliament (stupidly in my opinion) ratified the so-called London Agreement, complete patent applications no longer need to be translated into Finnish. That reduced the cost of the translation by as much as 90%.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ask translators based in Russia and Belarus Jan 8, 2023

They'll share lots of stories about how sanctions imposed against Russia, and retaliation steps by the Russian government, affected their lives and freelance businesses

Baran Keki
Elena Ivanova
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 16:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Just a reminder Jan 8, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

to study Soviet history .

Banned history of Russia is about 1000 years longer than the Soviet history

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Jan 9, 2023

Yes; for about 6 months I used to get a very large number of press releases from the (former) Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio's office (sometimes 5 or more a day) to translate immediately so that they could be released the same day- but now that the Foreign Minister is somebody else, the press releases have stopped. For a while these were a nice little earner, and were well paid at my normal rate

[Edited at 2023-01-09 12:51 GMT]

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Bilateral governmental agreements and contracts Jan 9, 2023

The Russian government sold two air defense systems to Cyprus in 2002, and there I was … four years of a cushy 7-to-13 job (actually 8-to-12 … man, I love siesta time!), staying at an apartment hotel 200 meters from the beach in Limassol

[Edited at 2023-01-09 09:15 GMT]

Baran Keki
Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
N Jan 9, 2023

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

The Russian government sold two air defense systems to Cyprus in 2002, and there I was … four years of a cushy 7-to-13 job (actually 8-to-12 … man, I love siesta time!), staying at an apartment hotel 200 meters from the beach in Limassol

[Edited at 2023-01-09 09:15 GMT]

I assume that was the Turkish part of Cyprus

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Greek Cypriots, or Cypriot Greeks Jan 9, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

The Russian government sold two air defense systems to Cyprus in 2002, and there I was … at an apartment hotel 200 meters from the beach in Limassol

I assume that was the Turkish part of Cyprus

We helped Greek Cypriots (or Cypriot Greeks) at the time. It was the time when Nicosia (or Lefkosía) remained the only capital city with two distinct parts separated by barbed wires and road blocks.

[Edited at 2023-01-09 10:09 GMT]

Tom in London

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Spelling reforms, and we had many Jan 9, 2023

Yes, more recently by the Portuguese Language Orthographic Agreement of 1990, implemented between 2009 and 2011.
As a translator, faced with this reform, I had to make sure I knew both spellings and adapt all my translations to the new PT-PT spelling.
The purpose was to standardize and unify the spelling in the Portuguese-speaking countries, but instead we ended up with two legal orthographic norms: one for Brazil and another for Portugal and for the remaining Portuguese-speaking cou
... See more
Yes, more recently by the Portuguese Language Orthographic Agreement of 1990, implemented between 2009 and 2011.
As a translator, faced with this reform, I had to make sure I knew both spellings and adapt all my translations to the new PT-PT spelling.
The purpose was to standardize and unify the spelling in the Portuguese-speaking countries, but instead we ended up with two legal orthographic norms: one for Brazil and another for Portugal and for the remaining Portuguese-speaking countries.
At the end of the day, we don't have a real orthographic agreement simply because both PT-BR and PT-PT have very different spellings and not to mention the high number of lexical differences, but that is another story.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
PT-BR and PT-PT Jan 9, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

PT-BR and PT-PT have very different spellings and not to mention the high number of lexical differences, but that is another story.

PT-BR and PT-PT also sound very different

expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Spelling reforms Jan 9, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

The purpose was to standardize and unify the spelling in the Portuguese-speaking countries, but instead we ended up with two legal orthographic norms: one for Brazil and another for Portugal and for the remaining Portuguese-speaking countries.
At the end of the day, we don't have a real orthographic agreement simply because both PT-BR and PT-PT have very different spellings and not to mention the high number of lexical differences, but that is another story.

Even worse. Now we have two “parallel spelling systems” in Portugal: people who write according to the new orthographic agreement and those who do not agree with it and add a note (mostly on media) saying “text written in accordance with the old spelling agreement”.

expressisverbis

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 00:59
English to Romanian
Yes Jan 9, 2023

Definitely yes.

My government is a mess, always has been, and has just increased (I heard doubled or more than doubled) the taxes and fees sole traders/independent contractors are required to pay. While I have just been offered 0.03 EUR/source word, potential job.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »