Camilla Aldini
Camilla Aldini
Spain
Local time: 00:33
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Feb 13, 2023

Hello everyone!

I am looking for advice: when and how to write a follow up email -without being annoying- after applying for a job?

Matthieu Ledoré
Pervane Kerimova
Qasim Liaqat

Matthieu Ledoré
Matthieu Ledoré
France
Local time: 01:33
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
Thanks for asking! Feb 13, 2023

Having been in the business for less than 6 months, this is also something I'm asking myself!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Camilla and Mathieu Feb 13, 2023

I’ve never followed up on a spontaneous application email. If they contact me awesome, if they don't I take they weren’t interested.

Good luck next time!

Teresa

Jennifer Levey
Joakim Braun
Anton Konashenok
Mr. Satan (X)
Philip Lees
Agneta Pallinder
Jo Macdonald

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:33
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Without being annoying Feb 13, 2023

Camilla Aldini wrote:

I am looking for advice: when and how to write a follow up email -without being annoying- after applying for a job?

Hi Camilla! I suggest you write a follow up email one day after having applyied for a job. It won't be annoying at all. You can repeat two to three times and in case they ignore your message, call them directly - most agencies have their contacts on their website.

If this doesn't help, you can write down their address and pay them a visit them when you have time.

However if the job poster resides in another country, you can arrange a vacation trip to that country in such a way that you could visit them. If it is not an option, just ask someone you know to go to their office and to ask them about your application.

I hope I was helpful!

Christopher Schröder

Camilla Aldini
Camilla Aldini
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 13, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I’ve never followed up on a spontaneous application email. If they contact me awesome, if they don't I take they weren’t interested.

Good luck next time!

Teresa

Even after the dreaded “I will get back to you once I have an update on this project” email?

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Legwork Feb 14, 2023

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:

If this doesn't help, you can write down their address and pay them a visit them when you have time.

However if the job poster resides in another country, you can arrange a vacation trip to that country in such a way that you could visit them. If it is not an option, just ask someone you know to go to their office and to ask them about your application.

Unless OP is dead certain that she will get the job, this seems like a lot of legwork for such an inconclusive scenario.

@OP
I wouldn’t mind too much about it. Reputable agencies aren’t going to just kick their current roster of translators out to make room for a new linguist (a.k.a. you). No matter how qualified you are, they won’t be interested if they weren’t looking for extra pairs of hands. It’s just pure luck. Better try to improve on this department by sacrificing a lamb under the full moon at midnight, draw a pentagram with its blood, and dance manically around it till the morning while chanting "I love you Maggie! I love you Maggie!" with "God Save the King" playing in the background on loop.

Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Timing Feb 14, 2023

The time to remind them you exist is just before or during a busy period or a holiday period when their pet translators can’t handle everything.

So Christmas, Easter, summer, and in some countries the annual report season.

Otherwise hassling won’t help imho.

Mr. Satan (X)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What kind of job? Feb 14, 2023

Camilla Aldini wrote:

What kind of job is this? Is this an in-house position where you'd be physically present? Or is this a direct client? Or is this a translation agency? Have they responded to your first e-mail yet? Did they contact you first or did you contact them first?

philgoddard

Camilla Aldini
Camilla Aldini
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation agency Feb 14, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Camilla Aldini wrote:

What kind of job is this? Is this an in-house position where you'd be physically present? Or is this a direct client? Or is this a translation agency? Have they responded to your first e-mail yet? Did they contact you first or did you contact them first?

It’s a translation company. I contacted them, responding to their job offer. There was an e-mail exchange, where they asked for more details. And then the dreaded "we’ll let you know"...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Camilla Feb 14, 2023

Camilla Aldini wrote:

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Good luck next time!

Teresa

Even after the dreaded “I will get back to you once I have an update on this project” email?

It depends on the specific case. I tend to be patient and try not to annoy potential clients, but if we had already exchanged several emails, I might ask for an update sometime later, saying that I have another project on the "slow burner" and I’m trying to make sure I'm on track with my potential workload.

Camilla Aldini
Rachel Waddington
Christel Zipfel
Mr. Satan (X)
Angie Garbarino
Goumiri Abdennour
Michael Newton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Follow up on a job application

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »