United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I can see clearly now… Mar 6, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:
Plenty to go round

I thought the Scandinavians and the Dutch were the best non-native English speakers in the world. I mean almost all the English texts I receive from Dutch clients for translation seem to have been written by Dutch people themselves (or else they're very bad English translations by native English speakers). I'd have thought the same would apply to the Scandinavians as well. As rich, affluent and privileged as they are, why would they splash their hard earned cash on the middlemen like you? They must show off their super duper English like the Dutch do, using a bastard language of American and British English, a bit of Aussie thrown in for good measure. So they do rely on native English speakers for translation despite learning/mastering English at a very young age? Interesting...

You’re right. My whole life’s a fraud.

Baran Keki
Matthias Brombach

Michael Hughes
Michael Hughes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:30
Member (2022)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scandinavian language speakers... Mar 6, 2023

...may be the best non-native English speakers in the world, but that doesn't mean they are native level I guess. The types of clients Ice Scream works with (leading banks and other financial institutions etc.) would, I'd imagine, be looking for perfect quality for their English publications (and be prepared to pay for it).

Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble
Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:30
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Word count differences and rates Mar 7, 2023

If you take into account word count differences (some languages are “wordier” than others), there may not be as much of a financial advantage to translating from Scandinavian languages. For example, getting paid for translating 800 words from Norwegian/Danish/Swedish that results in a 1000 word translation into English, vs getting paid for translating 1200 words from French that results in a 1000 word translation into English.

Per word rates for Scandinavian languages to Englis
... See more
If you take into account word count differences (some languages are “wordier” than others), there may not be as much of a financial advantage to translating from Scandinavian languages. For example, getting paid for translating 800 words from Norwegian/Danish/Swedish that results in a 1000 word translation into English, vs getting paid for translating 1200 words from French that results in a 1000 word translation into English.

Per word rates for Scandinavian languages to English would need to be 40% higher than the per word rate for French to English just to earn an equivalent amount of money.

[Edited at 2023-03-08 02:54 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most lucrative >English language pairs

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »