Thread poster: Paul Mielke
Paul Mielke
Paul Mielke  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 8, 2023

Hello. This past weekend I received a request from a well-regarded agency with good Blueboard reviews.

The agency said they would need translations for a large ongoing legal case to be certified by an ATA certified translator. They said the typical process would be to have a translator translate, and then another translator (ATA certified) review the translations and certify, stating that the translation is true and accurate, and then sign and date plus provide their ATA number. The
... See more
Hello. This past weekend I received a request from a well-regarded agency with good Blueboard reviews.

The agency said they would need translations for a large ongoing legal case to be certified by an ATA certified translator. They said the typical process would be to have a translator translate, and then another translator (ATA certified) review the translations and certify, stating that the translation is true and accurate, and then sign and date plus provide their ATA number. The agency said I wouldn’t need to state that I translated the work, but I would be certifying that the translation is a true and accurate rendition of the source file(s). And then they said an hourly rate would be preferable.

Has anyone ever received a request like this before? It's something that I've never come across before, but I wanted to get your perspective to make sure I'm thinking about all of the different factors that would need to be taken into account.

Thank you.
Collapse

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:16
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Makes sense to me May 8, 2023

Makes sense to me. Some jurisdictions (California) require an ATA-certified translator. Some clients may be well acquainted with the translation industry and demand it from the agency.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
An ethical gray area May 8, 2023

I have been asked to do this before. I did so on a number of occasions - and then decided to stop doing it.

Bringing in the ATA-certified translator to proof and vouch for the translation at the end is something the agency does to save money.

In the end, the ATA-certified translator is being asked to make a false statement: to wit, that they have translated a document that they have merely reviewed.

The more I thought about this, the more uncomfortable it
... See more
I have been asked to do this before. I did so on a number of occasions - and then decided to stop doing it.

Bringing in the ATA-certified translator to proof and vouch for the translation at the end is something the agency does to save money.

In the end, the ATA-certified translator is being asked to make a false statement: to wit, that they have translated a document that they have merely reviewed.

The more I thought about this, the more uncomfortable it made me.

I prefer not to be a party to fraud.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Jennifer Levey
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liviu-Lee Roth

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dubious, at best... May 8, 2023

Paul Mielke wrote:
The agency said they would need translations for a large ongoing legal case to be certified by an ATA certified translator. They said the typical process would be to have a translator translate, and then another translator (ATA certified) review the translations and certify, stating that the translation is true and accurate ...

Did they also explain what the ATA certified translator is expected to do in the event that (s)he finds that the translation is NOT true and accurate?

Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Dubious, at best (part 2) May 8, 2023

Jennifer Levey wrote:

Paul Mielke wrote:
The agency said they would need translations for a large ongoing legal case to be certified by an ATA certified translator. They said the typical process would be to have a translator translate, and then another translator (ATA certified) review the translations and certify, stating that the translation is true and accurate ...

Did they also explain what the ATA certified translator is expected to do in the event that (s)he finds that the translation is NOT true and accurate?

1. The ATA certification does not guarantee that the translator is specialized in the legal field, moreover, in a particular legal field. As a former prosecutor in my country, I am specialized in translation of legal documents in the criminal field, but wouldn't touch a contract or anything related to intellectual property.

2. There are language pairs for which there is no certification exams available. So .....

[Edited at 2023-05-09 01:18 GMT]

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Change if change you must May 9, 2023

Robert Forstag wrote:

The more I thought about this, the more uncomfortable it made me.

I prefer not to be a party to fraud.

If Paul's client is insinuating that he should just slap his ATA logo to the certificate of accuracy, then I agree with you. I would take such an assignment as an editing assignment, and charge for it.

For the younger translators reading this, I always charge editing/proofing by the hour and never estimate how many words I will do by hour, which is just a back door per word rate. Some agencies will go to a non-native and very inexpensive translator for the draft, then expect you to "edit" (i.e. retranslate) at proofer rates. The agency can then tell their client that they had two translators work on the document. Charging a per-hour rate shuts the door on this trick.

Paul Mielke
Paul Mielke  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 9, 2023

Thank you all for your input and providing your perspective on this issue. I really appreciate it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request to provide ATA certification for translations that I review

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »