Puzzle by two-way, three languages round-table simultaneous interpretition... any ideas?
Thread poster: Giffted
Giffted
Giffted  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 08:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 18, 2013

Hello,
I recently received a request from a customer for simultaneous interpretation. They will be having a conference, but not with speakers and one floor language, they will be having a discussion among all the attendants to the conference. The attendants speak three different languages and all of them will be having participation as they request to speak. Here is my confusion:
How would that work? I understand that the sound system can be set with 3 channels, one channel per langu
... See more
Hello,
I recently received a request from a customer for simultaneous interpretation. They will be having a conference, but not with speakers and one floor language, they will be having a discussion among all the attendants to the conference. The attendants speak three different languages and all of them will be having participation as they request to speak. Here is my confusion:
How would that work? I understand that the sound system can be set with 3 channels, one channel per language, but, what about the interpreters? Would you need to have 3 booths, one per language pair, or one booth per language pair and direction (6 booths)?
If anyone has any idea I'll be grateful to hear it.

Regards,

Gladissa
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:59
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try 22 languages Apr 18, 2013

Giffted wrote:

Hello,
How would that work? I understand that the sound system can be set with 3 channels, one channel per language, but, what about the interpreters? Would you need to have 3 booths, one per language pair, or one booth per language pair and direction (6 booths)?
If anyone has any idea I'll be grateful to hear it.

Regards,

Gladissa

In the EU institutions where some of us work, meetings are routinely held with 15 or 22 active languages. It can be arranged without much trouble if everyone knows what they are doing (especially the people who book the interpreters and set up the technical equipment).
The basic setup is: you have as many booths as there are active languages (languages that interpreters work into). There are two (or three) interpreters with the same mother tongue in each booth and they interpret everything into their language. When a language they don't understand is spoken on the floor, they take one of the other booths on relay. This is the basic system, which is then further 'enhanced' by retours, arrangements to avoid relays and double relays and so on.

Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Faroe Islands
Local time: 13:59
Danish to English
+ ...
But for a smaller scale Apr 19, 2013

You would only require a single booth with three pairs (Source/Target). The floor should be given to a single speaker, and the person responsible for the relevant pair should focus only on the recognized speaker. If a person in the audience speaks out of turn, ignore it until the speaker turns to you and requests you translate for him or her.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:59
Chinese to English
Assuming they are common languages... Apr 19, 2013

If it's Spanish, English, and say French, then you'd have three booths, and each booth would be expected to work from both of the other languages. There are plenty of simultaneous interpreters who offer those pairs.

If it's Spanish, English and Ibo, then you might have to do something different!

I should add: a booth is not for a pair, a booth is for a target language. In a standard multi-language simultaneous set-up, there is no such thing as a French-English booth. Th
... See more
If it's Spanish, English, and say French, then you'd have three booths, and each booth would be expected to work from both of the other languages. There are plenty of simultaneous interpreters who offer those pairs.

If it's Spanish, English and Ibo, then you might have to do something different!

I should add: a booth is not for a pair, a booth is for a target language. In a standard multi-language simultaneous set-up, there is no such thing as a French-English booth. There is just an English booth, which always outputs English, from whatever language is being spoken (with relay where necessary).

[Edited at 2013-04-19 05:39 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Puzzle by two-way, three languages round-table simultaneous interpretition... any ideas?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »