Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Poem on Lemuria - which language is this?
Autor vlákna: Sabine Knorr
hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 14:54
angličtina -> němčina
perhaps s.th. Jul 9, 2009

invented; for a possible background see here:
http://dorifer.com/cgi-bin/show?id=aktuell/news/997.html
Regards.

Alan R King
Alan R King
baskičtina -> angličtina
+ ...
In memoriam
Beg to differ... Jul 9, 2009

Anastasia Naoumi wrote:

I would say this is a sort of romance language...

If this were a Romance language (or the Mediterranean Lingua Franca which is Romance-based) the text would be more readily intelligible to people familiar with other Romance languages and dialects than this is. Although some words are indeed reminiscent in form of Latin or Romance words, they don't "hang together" right for Romance.

[Edited at 2009-07-09 12:52 GMT]

Alan R King
Alan R King
baskičtina -> angličtina
+ ...
In memoriam
Invented? Jul 9, 2009

hazmatgerman wrote:

(perhaps sth.) invented

Personally I am quite sure it is invented. I'm just playing along. But even if invented, the question still remains of what it is

Tonia Wind
Tonia Wind
Velká Británie
Local time: 13:54
Člen (2005)
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
I don't think it is a "made up" language... Jul 9, 2009

Lesley, Thanks for the info. I have never heard of Lobsang Rampa. I read the article you suggested and it sounds really interesting. It goes along with what I was saying about cases of uneducated people with no prior knowledge of specific subject matters being able to psychograph grammatically perfect novels about historical places, events, etc. I have worked on a couple of books written by Francisco Xavier (you might know of him already). He is a well-known Brazilian medium. His books are fasci... See more
Lesley, Thanks for the info. I have never heard of Lobsang Rampa. I read the article you suggested and it sounds really interesting. It goes along with what I was saying about cases of uneducated people with no prior knowledge of specific subject matters being able to psychograph grammatically perfect novels about historical places, events, etc. I have worked on a couple of books written by Francisco Xavier (you might know of him already). He is a well-known Brazilian medium. His books are fascinating.

As far as the language goes...I went back through language possibilities that have been suggested by other posters, but don't think that it is Lemurian or Fijian. I found a couple more links about language from Lemuria, and from what I can gather they used a symbol-type writing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Primary_Classical_Language_of_the_World
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tamil.htm
http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA011/CM/GA011_c05.html

As the place was a type of nirvana with (supposedly) more advanced inhabitants, they relied more on telepathy that spoken language. This would actually go along with Spiritist beliefs that higher/more spiritually advanced spirits on higher spiritual planes have no need for spoken language as they are able to mentally convey their thoughts and ideas. Those of us here on Earth are not as spiritually advanced, so we have to deal with differences in languages. In this life, I can say that it is actually a good thing for me as I am a translator!

I agree that it could be related to a Romance language. I don't think it is a made up language, though. Again, there are numerous accounts of people with no prior education/training, etc. who have received messages in dialects used in the time of Jesus. How do they do it? Divine Intervention!
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japonsko
Local time: 21:54
japonština -> angličtina
Stoned creole Jul 10, 2009

Alan R King wrote:

Anastasia Naoumi wrote:

If this were a Romance language (or the Mediterranean Lingua Franca which is Romance-based) the text would be more readily intelligible to people familiar with other Romance languages and dialects than this is. Although some words are indeed reminiscent in form of Latin or Romance words, they don't "hang together" right for Romance.

Creoles based on Romance languages that have been filtered through African languages sound quite similar to this. You can pick out the occasional word and structure, but altogether the language sounds foreign to someone familiar with Romance languages.

I still think it's made up though, and will continue to think so until I see any clear evidence to the contrary.

(I was quite amused by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa's unique prescription for opening the third eye - drill a hole in the skull and shove in some sticks. Don't try this at home!)

Alan R King
Alan R King
baskičtina -> angličtina
+ ...
In memoriam
[family] language = [family]-based creole ? Jul 10, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:

Alan R King wrote:

Anastasia Naoumi wrote:

Creoles based on Romance languages that have been filtered through African languages sound quite similar to this.

Yes Rod. But the question is: is a Romance-based creole (e.g. Haitian) a Romance language? Is a Germanic-based creole (e.g. Tok Pisin) a Germanic language? etc. I believe the answer is no. So there are two questions posed: is this "language" Romance? is it a Romance-based creole? Can we firmly answer "no" to the first question and start eliminating?

Sabine Knorr
Sabine Knorr
Německo
španělština -> němčina
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Poem on Lemuria - thanks for your answers Jul 10, 2009

Hello and thanks to everybody who contributed with his/her opinion.
I apologize for not replying earlier to all your answers but I was extremely busy outside the office since I had posted the question.

In the meantime, I have asked the medium how she had received the poem, and she explained that she had felt the impulse to take paper and pen, then starting writing what she received, and when she "woke up", she realized it looked like a poem. She had felt very emotional and sa
... See more
Hello and thanks to everybody who contributed with his/her opinion.
I apologize for not replying earlier to all your answers but I was extremely busy outside the office since I had posted the question.

In the meantime, I have asked the medium how she had received the poem, and she explained that she had felt the impulse to take paper and pen, then starting writing what she received, and when she "woke up", she realized it looked like a poem. She had felt very emotional and sad, somehow homesick... She cannot tell if she saw written words or if she heard spoken words and transformed them herself into written text.

I am not kidding, this is not a made-up / invented story, and it has nothing to do with Perry Rhodan or other science fiction stories. My question was meant seriously because the person who sent it to me asking for advice (the medium) was also serious about it, wanting to find out the meaning of this poem.

If nobody recognizes any existing language in it, then my personal opinion is that it might well be a very ancient language, or it might be a known language whose original phonetic was transformed when written down.

@toniawind: This specific question is not related to any translation work I am doing, however I am also interested in spiritual matters and have started doing translations in this field - will send you a private message.

Thanks again to everybody for your interest!

Sabine
Collapse

Tonia Wind
Tonia Wind
Velká Británie
Local time: 13:54
Člen (2005)
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
Look foward to hearing from you... Jul 10, 2009

Sabine,

Please do contact me. I would love to help you or the medium in any way I can.

Take care,

Tonia

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japonsko
Local time: 21:54
japonština -> angličtina
Reformed Egyptian? Jul 11, 2009

It could also be a phonetic approximation of reformed Egyptian...

Of slightly tangential relevance to this topic, have you read "The Fall: The Insanity of the Ego in Human History and the Dawning of A New Era" by Steve Taylor?

While not entirely immune to sceptical analysis, I think it offers a more satisfying and productive guide to the past than 'channelled' material - I found it very valuable reading.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 05:54
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
In memoriam
It is a mix of languages - like the dialogues that you remember from a dream Jul 11, 2009

Sabine Knorr wrote:

In the meantime, I have asked the medium how she had received the poem, and she explained that she had felt the impulse to take paper and pen, then starting writing what she received, and when she "woke up", she realized it looked like a poem. She had felt very emotional and sad, somehow homesick... She cannot tell if she saw written words or if she heard spoken words and transformed them herself into written text.

Which languages does the medium speak? Whenever I wake up from a dream I can not verify the language that I was dreaming in - it is always a bizarre mix of English, German, French and sometimes even Latin, whatever I am familiar with. Fascinating and always entertaining. BTW, I found some Italian words in your poem, as well as German ones. And they even make sense...

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 00:54
čínština -> angličtina
writers who had visions: Tsongkhapa; William Blake Jul 13, 2009

lai an wrote:
Hello Tonia
'channeling novels', 'psychographic mediums'?
Perhaps you have you heard of Lobsang Rampa? 'The Third Eye' made quite an impression on me ...
Lesley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Je_Tsongkhapa#Early_years
Tsongkhapa often had visions of meditational deities and especially of Manjushri, with whom he would communicate directly to clarify difficult points of the scriptures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blake#Visions
From a young age, William Blake claimed to have seen visions. ...

[ In order to expound his system of religious thought, Tsong Khapa put great effort into his writing work. It is said that when he was writing, countless Buddhas and female celestials would come and help him, giving him wisdom and strength, so that he was very quickly able to complete a great many books. (translated from 'Tsong Khapa founds the Yellow Sect' in Liu Quan, Chinese History Stories: Ming Dynasty, First Part, China Young People's and Children's Press, Beijing, 1983)

[Edited at 2009-07-13 11:05 GMT]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 00:54
čínština -> angličtina
Lemuria/Kumari Kandam and the Tamil language Jul 31, 2009

toniawind wrote:
As far as the language goes...I went back through language possibilities that have been suggested by other posters, but don't think that it is Lemurian or Fijian. I found a couple more links about language from Lemuria, and from what I can gather they used a symbol-type writing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Primary_Classical_Language_of_the_World
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tamil.htm
http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA011/CM/GA011_c05.html

As the place was a type of nirvana with (supposedly) more advanced inhabitants, they relied more on telepathy that spoken language. This would actually go along with Spiritist beliefs that higher/more spiritually advanced spirits on higher spiritual planes have no need for spoken language as they are able to mentally convey their thoughts and ideas. Those of us here on Earth are not as spiritually advanced, so we have to deal with differences in languages. In this life, I can say that it is actually a good thing for me as I am a translator!

Yes, some think there is a connection with the Tamil language back to the Dravidian civilisation, apparently. I wonder what the Tamil-speaking peers think of this.

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumari_Kandam#In_Tamil_national_mysticism
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Tamil nationalists came to identify Kumari Kandam with Lemuria ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravidian_peoples ]

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poem on Lemuria - which language is this?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »