French (Algeria vs France), any difference?
Thread poster: Boffin Inc
Boffin Inc
Boffin Inc
Canada
Local time: 12:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 14, 2009

We are translating a manual for the Algerian market, but I'm not sure whether French used in Algeria is different from that used in France. If there is no difference, then we can just use the same French translators for French in France. Any one have any idea? Thanks in advance.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:43
French to English
+ ...
The *standard* language is practically identical Dec 14, 2009

I've worked with one or two Algerian translators and I've also translated French documents produced in Algeria, and my understanding is that the variety of French perceived as "standard" in Algeria, as you'll find in the kinds of formal, written documents that people tend to translate, is essentially same, bar the occasional item of vocabulary to refer to Algeria-specific concepts as you'd expect.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 18:43
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Depends on the subject-matter Dec 14, 2009

To my understanding, the administrative and academic French would be more universal and standardized, whereas culturally-related language ( especially slang) will be inflected and diversified. This is nothing new, a basic universal grammar principle.

Boffin Inc
Boffin Inc
Canada
Local time: 12:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments Dec 14, 2009

Thanks Neil, and Lingua 5B (Sorry I don't how to address you).

So, for the manual translation, I guess I can use translators in France if no appropriate resource from Algeria can be found, right? Manuals certainly should use standard language. That's not bad.. At least I have some backups there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French (Algeria vs France), any difference?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »