Changing text in a copied image
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
French to English
Nov 27, 2012

I am working with translating an article on cosmetics from French to English.
The graph/pictures have text in them which I need to translate also. I can copy the whole picture but cannot change the text from French to English. Using Word 2007 on a Dell.
Thanks
Jessie

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:40
English to Turkish
+ ...
you need an image editor Nov 27, 2012

Hi Jessie,

Although some images in Word can be edited directly in Word, in general Word is a text editor program. You can edit such images in Paint or another image editor program and then paste back into Word.

Another method is to make a table next to/below such images and write the translations in that table (one column for source, other for translation).

Kind regards

Selcuk

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Text boxes Nov 28, 2012

I'd ask the client/agency what they recommend.

If there isn't too much text one agency I work with tells me to use text boxes. I simply place a text box on top of the existing text and type in my translation.
l
Others prefer tables with source and target columns as suggested by Selcuk.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try on Asus ;) Nov 28, 2012

You need to ask for the images in PSD. Then you can edit the text layer in Photoshop or simply translate them in any CAT.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Depends on format Nov 28, 2012

An image can be one of a zillion formats. It may be a vector image or a bitmap image with a text layer, in which case editing (replacing source with translation) is no big problem, you need only to know what format it is and find an appropriate program to edit (as Sergei advises, PSD images can be edited with Adobe Photoshop, but some other program can also be OK, and many such formats can be fed into CAT program). However, if it’s a bitmap image, the situation is worse. Text is kinda “carve... See more
An image can be one of a zillion formats. It may be a vector image or a bitmap image with a text layer, in which case editing (replacing source with translation) is no big problem, you need only to know what format it is and find an appropriate program to edit (as Sergei advises, PSD images can be edited with Adobe Photoshop, but some other program can also be OK, and many such formats can be fed into CAT program). However, if it’s a bitmap image, the situation is worse. Text is kinda “carved” in the image, you need to erase the source and type in the target, no option to use a CAT. In such a case, follow TranslateTips or Selcuk’s advise.Collapse

Jessie Nelson
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the different ideas Nov 29, 2012

I would like to thank everyone for their ideas. I am printing them because I have been wrestling with this problem for some time.

Photoshop is quite expensive but I did try "Paint".
I did get the photo into the app somehow, but I cant figure out what to do next.
The "help" is not really much help.

Regards,

Jessie

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
save as web page Nov 29, 2012

Save your document as web page (html), all images will be stored in a folder. Then open the images in Paint. There is an "A" button for adding text. Click on it and create a text field on the image. Type your translation and save.

Then you can either import these images to your translated Word document or send them directly to your client. He will be happy to make some easy DTP work.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 05:40
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The way I do it Nov 29, 2012

Jessie Nelson wrote:

I did get the photo into the app somehow, but I cant figure out what to do next.

There are other graphics programs available, some of the free, and there are even ones you can use online.

Since most graphics programs are not particularly ergonomic when it comes to adding text, what I usually do is this:

1) Open image in graphics program

2) Save the image file with a new name!

3) Use the graphics facilities to carefully 'blank out' the existing text

4) Save!

5) Exit graphics program and re-insert modified image into my translation document

6) Use Word's 'text box' facility to create new labels roughly where the old ones were.

This is usually relatively painless, and once the 'old' labels are removed, one has a great deal more flexibility in creating the 'new' ones, even if they are maybe not quite identical.

PS: Needless to say, I only go to this much trouble for jobs where the price makes it worthwhile, or to oblige a good customer!

[Edited at 2012-11-29 08:15 GMT]

Jessie Nelson
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Finally, it works! Dec 3, 2012

Hello Selcuk and Tony.

I stuck with both of your suggestions through the afternoon (slow learner here)
and I was able to complete the article.
I will now be able to accept more work that has images and text.
This has been bugging me for a really long time.

Thanks so much.

Regards,
Jessie

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
A personal hobby of mine Dec 3, 2012

I honestly enjoy translating images like the one mentioned. I have a bunch of different programs for different types of images and for different tasks. Paint (windows 7 version of it I mean) is really handy for a free software. Gimp 2 is another good free program that has some powerful options.

I would only echo what has already been said, edit/blank out the section that you need to translate in the image and use a text box. You could add text directly to the image if you wanted to
... See more
I honestly enjoy translating images like the one mentioned. I have a bunch of different programs for different types of images and for different tasks. Paint (windows 7 version of it I mean) is really handy for a free software. Gimp 2 is another good free program that has some powerful options.

I would only echo what has already been said, edit/blank out the section that you need to translate in the image and use a text box. You could add text directly to the image if you wanted to, but it makes editing/proofing very difficult. Another option is to find a program like CorelDraw or AutoCadd that will let you write and save as a *.doc, yet gives you all the awesome goodness of an image editor.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Costing Dec 3, 2012

Jessie Nelson wrote:

I will now be able to accept more work that has images and text.

It's always good to have that extra string to your bow, Jessie! Check carefully, though, before accepting work that you can indeed do what you need to with the images; I have found documents which for various reasons made it very difficult to edit the images; I don't know why, but sometimes everything just went haywire when I'd try to copy the images out, or back in... So I'd certainly advise checking every image to make sure before agreeing to take the job!

BTW, there is I believe a little program somewhere around that lets you extract all the images from a doc. (which is sometimes useful anyway, for lightening a heavy doc — I once had 160 pp qith loads of hi-res photos, and it was horribly slow until I found this dodge!) and (I believe) put them all back in again. If as I suspect this does also give you a file of some sort conbtaining all the extracted images, this could possibly be a handy utility for this sort of work.

Just a thought though: although this sort of work can be challenging and fascinating, you may wish to give some thought as to the way you actually cost for it. If a document only contains a very few images with a small number of legends, you may consider it not worth making an extra charge. However, a document with a large number of images, or complex ones, and/or ones with a lot of text can be extremely time-consuming, and are really a bit outside the realm of 'mere' (!) translation. The way I figure it is this: if I don't do it, then the customer is going to have to pay someone else (even if it's only their in-house graphic designer) to do it, and so they will expect to pay extra; I usually base myself on an hourly rate for the actual time taken, and so far most customers have been perfectly happy with this; the alternative I offer them is to give them the image legends in a 2-column (source-target) Word table, which makes the jobs easier for their graphic designer. This involves less work for me, simply retyping the legends in the source language as I translate them; the advantage, of course, is that this can be easily incorporated into a CAT workflow.

Just a final word about text boxes: in simple cases, it is often possible to simply work in Word, using a text box with a background fill cover to first obliterate the original legend, and then write the new one. These text boxes should then be 'grouped' with the original image, to stop them moving around all over the place! NB: certain image format options (in particular, wrap options) may prevent you from grouping the text boxes with the image; in this case, clear that particualr attribute first, do your grouping, and then re-apply the attribute. WARNING: soemtimes when you do this, the image moves or even disappears completely! If you're lucky, when you re-instate the original attribute it will go back into its place; if you're not, you may have quite a bit of playing around to do, so be prepared, and if in any doubt, work in a copy of your file.

The drawback I've found with using cover-up text boxes in this way is that there are a number of things that can cause problems. For me, these have principally been:

1) As the text in my source language (FR) is often longer than the EN translation, the box sometimes has to be made larger than necessary in order to cover up the old text.

2) If text has been fitted round elements of the image, it can soemtimes be very fiddly if you have to create several text boxes.

3) If the background is white, there is not problem, but if it is coloured or patterned, it can be a nightmare trying to match the text box background. Neddless to say, your text box MUST have an opaque fill colour in order for it to fulfil its function of blanking out the old text.

This is why I find separating the two functions, doing the obliteration in a graphics program and then the text boxes in Word (etc.), is often easier and quicker in the long run — again, needless to say, in this case, the word text boxes can have a transparent background, which avoids most of the foregoing problems.

Jessie Nelson
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fascinating and thanks once again Dec 3, 2012

Hi Tony,

Thanks once again for extending the effort for a thorough explanation.

I am not a young student so it is taking a while but it is seeping into my brain.

One more skill I can add to my repertoire, although I am pretty slow at it now.

Regards,
Jessie

Jessie Nelson
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tristan, thanks for your thought. Dec 3, 2012

Hi Tristan,
Thanks for your reply.
I am using the app "Paint" now.
I tried "Gimp" but could not figure it out even after I bought a big (2" think) book.
I will try AutoCadd next.
Have a good holiday.
Regards,
Jessie

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Gimp 2 Dec 9, 2012

I mostly use Gimp 2 for three things that I can't do quickly in other programs.

First, I use it remove backgrounds. If you load the image into Gimp and click "select" and then "by color," you can click on what ever color you want to work with and edit and/or delete it. This is really helpful when you need to isolate just one part of the image want to delete everything else, like if you want to copy a signature on a document with a watermark or pattern in the background.

... See more
I mostly use Gimp 2 for three things that I can't do quickly in other programs.

First, I use it remove backgrounds. If you load the image into Gimp and click "select" and then "by color," you can click on what ever color you want to work with and edit and/or delete it. This is really helpful when you need to isolate just one part of the image want to delete everything else, like if you want to copy a signature on a document with a watermark or pattern in the background.

Second, to modify images, like make it black and white or edit the color/brightness balance in some way, like adding a watermark.

Thirdly, to rotate images beyond the 90 degree options available in paint.

Keep in mind though that there are many other tools that can do all of these things within just one program. Like I mentioned earlier, I use quite a few programs, but they require more training. Things like Gimp and Paint are nice because they load quickly, as compared to my Autocadd or 3ds Max which take 10-15 seconds to load up (I realize that doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm kind of impatient). Not to mention that I won't always have my desk top with all my programs loaded on it with me.

My newest hobby is designing in Zbrush, converting it to 3ds Max, decreasing the polygon counts and then transferring it to Pepakura Designer which lets me "unfold" the image into 2d images that can be printed, cut out, folded, and then glued together to create the 3d image! I'm working on full sized, wearable, Storm Trooper uniforms from Star Wars right now, but that's totally off topic and I apologize. There really are some neat things that you can do with this knowledge, I encourage you to continue. Shoot me an e-mail if you ever have any questions with those programs and I'll be happy to help how ever I can ^_^

[Edited at 2012-12-09 05:52 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I simply.. Dec 9, 2012

... translate these texts into a separate Word file having the advantage to be able to count the "words" or so. Translating it underneath has the disadvantage to destroy the page layout.

Greetings
Rolf Kern

[Bearbeitet am 2012-12-09 10:22 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing text in a copied image

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »