Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you usually work during end-of-year holidays?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Crisis in Brazil Dec 28, 2021

The crisis in Brazil is very, very bad and has been for some years now. So the main issue is not 'do you work' but 'do you have work'.

I usually work every day of the year when I have work, Christmas Day on demand. This year I had a Christmas job and managed to do some 3 hours on Christmas Day before and after the visitors were here. Of course when the visitors were here I stopped work until they left.

The rest of the holidays I work normally, including New Year's Day
... See more
The crisis in Brazil is very, very bad and has been for some years now. So the main issue is not 'do you work' but 'do you have work'.

I usually work every day of the year when I have work, Christmas Day on demand. This year I had a Christmas job and managed to do some 3 hours on Christmas Day before and after the visitors were here. Of course when the visitors were here I stopped work until they left.

The rest of the holidays I work normally, including New Year's Day - when I have work. And Sundays the same.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:09
English to Turkish
Stop with the crisis in Brazil! Dec 29, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:
The crisis in Brazil is very, very bad and has been for some years now.

You guys no longer have the monopoly on economic crises! We have a huge economic crisis on our hands in case you didn't know. Turkish money is completely effed up. We can't beat you at football, but we can at economic crisis! So stop whining about the crisis in Brazil, or at least take comfort in the fact there are sods worse off than you.

Jean Dimitriadis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Crisis Top Trumps Dec 29, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:
Paul Dixon wrote:
The crisis in Brazil is very, very bad and has been for some years now.

You guys no longer have the monopoly on economic crises! We have a huge economic crisis on our hands in case you didn't know. Turkish money is completely effed up. We can't beat you at football, but we can at economic crisis!

I was going to make a foul joke about the turkey crisis at Christmas and somehow weave in something crazy about Brazil nuts, but then I remembered this is actually No
Laughing Matter as we’ve got it far worse here than either of you.

Be thankful you’re not still labouring under 800 years of colonial repression. Plus, this is the 21st century and there still isn’t a Waitrose within two hours of me. Yes, the situation here is so dire it’s almost criminal.

No wonder I’m working all this week.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Turkey Dec 29, 2021

I sympathise, Baran.

It would be interesting to see what the new law on crypto that will be announced soon has in store.

With the crazy inflation and turkish lira (as well as fiat currencies more generally) devaluation going on, it is no surprise to see citizens turning to hedges/investments such as crypto assets.

Baran Keki

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Other - Yes and No Dec 31, 2021

I only take day-offs on every Sunday and Christian holidays, which of course includes December 25 (and the day before, as I need to make preparations). On some odd occasions, I also make appointments pre-planned before the clients contacted me, and those may occur during the end-year holidays. I would inform my clients about these conditions, and it's up to them if they can tolerate this little policy of mine or not.

But outside of those, I'm always available to work. I don't partic
... See more
I only take day-offs on every Sunday and Christian holidays, which of course includes December 25 (and the day before, as I need to make preparations). On some odd occasions, I also make appointments pre-planned before the clients contacted me, and those may occur during the end-year holidays. I would inform my clients about these conditions, and it's up to them if they can tolerate this little policy of mine or not.

But outside of those, I'm always available to work. I don't particularly care about the new year's eve.
Collapse

Mariana Passos
Mariana Passos  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 20:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It was hard to say no... Jan 1, 2022

When I was a freelancer, I always made plans to take a week off during the holidays (between Christmas and New Year).
It never really worked out, I always ended up taking a project or two to do then.

This year was the first time I took days off without guilt, because I'm working in-house.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually work during end-of-year holidays?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »