Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: If you could go back in time, would you still be a language professional?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:45
French to English
. Apr 10, 2023

Yes, although I'd do it differently. I would have studied another language so that I could offer a second source language, and apply to work at a UN agency.

Stephanie Mitchel

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Sure Apr 10, 2023

The best choice of my life.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Roberto Nogueira

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:45
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Apr 10, 2023

Being a translator is one the best things that happened to me in all my life, and I do not regret my days as a working student!
I say "happened" because my background was journalism, but circumstances led me to translation.
If I could go back in time I would probably change other things, but not my profession... but that's another story
Anyway, as long as I am healthy enough to continue working on what I love, I
... See more
Being a translator is one the best things that happened to me in all my life, and I do not regret my days as a working student!
I say "happened" because my background was journalism, but circumstances led me to translation.
If I could go back in time I would probably change other things, but not my profession... but that's another story
Anyway, as long as I am healthy enough to continue working on what I love, I can consider myself lucky and happy. Many people cannot say the same.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Lieven Malaise
Philip Lees
Fabrice Ndie

Kimberly Wastler
Kimberly Wastler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:45
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
At times I wish . . . but yet . . . Apr 10, 2023

Sometimes I wish I had taken everyone's advice and studied languages in college instead of Engineering.
Yet I am where I am thanks to my engineering degree - personally and professionally.
I would not have traveled the world on someone else's dollar - the USA, Europe, India, Asia, South America, etc.
My language skills allowed me to meet my husband, have two wonderful children, and move from one country to another without worrying about finding another job.

Fabrice Ndie
Jorge Payan

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Not a bad second (or third?) career choice Apr 10, 2023

Translation has been good for me so far, but it's a second or possibly third career and I began late. I would not have considered translation as a long-term vocation as a young man.

Dan

Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Christine Andersen
Agneta Pallinder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Apr 10, 2023

I would’ve gone into medicine if I failed as a rock star.

But there’s no denying the freedom translation has given me to look after my family and pursue my hobbies while still making plenty of money would not have happened in most other jobs.

IrinaN

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, definitely. Apr 10, 2023

I still really enjoy my work as a translator and have made more money every year since I started. And all this without ever having to leave home.

Also, very few of my friends seem to enjoy their work as much as I do, and many don't even earn more than I do, even if they have so-called great jobs.

Liena Vijupe
Thayenga

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I as a true child... Apr 10, 2023

...of the north now would better had started a career as a fisherman in my younger days. Imagine all the scrapping allowances they get now today, compared to the poor translators who have to scrap all their licences of SDL Studio these days for nothing!

[Bearbeitet am 2023-04-10 20:49 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Marsel Khisamutdinov

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, and I would still regret it Apr 11, 2023

As nobody knows what the future holds, even if I went back in time, I would probably make the same choices, and I would follow the same path.

If I had known when I started my studies how the language industry would develop, I might have chosen a different direction. But at the time, it seemed the best choice for me.

I think it is more important now to take stock and consider whether I want to continue as a translator for the rest of my life, and what opportunities there
... See more
As nobody knows what the future holds, even if I went back in time, I would probably make the same choices, and I would follow the same path.

If I had known when I started my studies how the language industry would develop, I might have chosen a different direction. But at the time, it seemed the best choice for me.

I think it is more important now to take stock and consider whether I want to continue as a translator for the rest of my life, and what opportunities there might be for a more fulfilling life outside the language industry.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen
Kevin Fulton
Fabrice Ndie
Shiho Fukuda Koski

Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
100% Apr 11, 2023

Doing what I love, getting paid for it, and being able to work from everywhere? This profession is a dream come true. Other than that I can't think of any profession that is so interesting and multifaceted and lets me learn new things every day.

So as long as it exists, I will always be enthusiastic about it.

edna escalante

Victor Hew
Victor Hew
Singapore
Local time: 04:45
Mandarin Chinese to English
Better transitioning or not needing. Apr 11, 2023

I regret only focusing on the sciences and not working harder on my mother tongue for the O Levels. If I had discovered my passion for languages and hence decided earlier to want to be in the industry, it would have made transitioning easier or maybe even not need to transition at all. With that said, it is what it is and I'll make use of my existing skills to assist me in this transition of industries 💪

[Edited at 2023-04-11 09:53 GMT]

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
not teaching Apr 11, 2023

I come from a family of teachers and more or less automatically followed the family tradition, only I found I didn't really like teaching. I ended up as a translator because the language school where I was working also provided translation services.
If I could go back in time I'd probably choose something in medicine or science, or at least a job with a good pension!

Hrefna Rún Kristinsdóttir
Hrefna Rún Kristinsdóttir
Denmark
Danish to Icelandic
+ ...
I don't know! Apr 11, 2023

I think it is amazing how sure you all are about this! My road to being a language professional has been long and full of twists and turns, because I can't seem to decide what I want to do with my life. Still, I have enjoyed getting my degrees, living in a new country and trying out all sorts of different jobs, including translation... I really don't know where I would go if I were to start over. All I know is I need variety and a healthy amount of uncertainty... See more
I think it is amazing how sure you all are about this! My road to being a language professional has been long and full of twists and turns, because I can't seem to decide what I want to do with my life. Still, I have enjoyed getting my degrees, living in a new country and trying out all sorts of different jobs, including translation... I really don't know where I would go if I were to start over. All I know is I need variety and a healthy amount of uncertainty

[Edited at 2023-04-11 12:46 GMT]
Collapse

Kathleen Kownacki
Fabrice Ndie
Metin Demirel

Roberto Nogueira
Roberto Nogueira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:45
Member (2021)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, I would... Apr 11, 2023

And I would have become a translator 20 years earlier.

Angie Garbarino

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 15:45
English to Russian
+ ...
No sentiments, all practical Apr 12, 2023

After moving to the US in the last century, there was no way I could have started making that much money so soon, all for speaking my own language

I was looking into a couple more options but got swept by the tornado of work and demand. Just thinking about the subjects I've learned (nearly a decade of blood, sweat and tears 24/7 but the invoices looked sooo pretty:-) ), the people I've met, the world I've seen on a co
... See more
After moving to the US in the last century, there was no way I could have started making that much money so soon, all for speaking my own language

I was looking into a couple more options but got swept by the tornado of work and demand. Just thinking about the subjects I've learned (nearly a decade of blood, sweat and tears 24/7 but the invoices looked sooo pretty:-) ), the people I've met, the world I've seen on a company dime... this makes me feel eternally grateful and breathtakingly lucky; nothing I could have chosen within my range of skills and interests can come even close, especially coupled with such incredible freedom.

I was in the right place at the right time to start, and the same goes for ending it today. I don't miss a bit about translation. Yes, I enjoyed it, mostly because I enjoy writing first and translation - second. I mean "writing" as a fascinating part of translation, not writing books or papers. Some clients claimed that I wasn't too bad:-) but words as money-makers had always come first. I don't want to have anything to do with today's translation market but my beloved interpretation is still with me. So is my full retirement supplement. Perfect timing.

Work to live, not vice versa.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you could go back in time, would you still be a language professional?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »