Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: What would you do if you were not a translator ?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: ProZ.com Staff
Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Local time: 19:39
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
work in a library or a bookshop Mar 21, 2007

As a book-lover, I would probably have worked in a library (I did as a student and I loved it) or somewhere surrounded by books. After all, the translator too !

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 10:39
Lid 2005
Engels naar Portugees
+ ...
Journalism Mar 21, 2007

At least, that was my major, and I worked for 10 months at a bilingual newspaper after I finished college. But things didn't work out and I went back to my old profession...

I started freelancing my way around as a translator when I finished high school, which by the way grant me technical degree in Data Processing, a very competitive field. So I went on doing translations on the side while working as an ESL teacher and going to college.

I guess both degrees and the ba
... See more
At least, that was my major, and I worked for 10 months at a bilingual newspaper after I finished college. But things didn't work out and I went back to my old profession...

I started freelancing my way around as a translator when I finished high school, which by the way grant me technical degree in Data Processing, a very competitive field. So I went on doing translations on the side while working as an ESL teacher and going to college.

I guess both degrees and the background in language teaching only improved my changes to try to be a better translator. I guess I was really born to do it 'cause now, after dedicating myself exclusively to it for the last four years, I couldn't see myself doing anything else!
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ierland
Local time: 18:39
Just as long as it involves more money and POWER! ;-) Mar 21, 2007

In a parallel universe, I would love to be a diplomat or a historian.

In an ideal fantasy world, a chocolate tester in Belgium.

Orla

Sarah Appleby (X)
Sarah Appleby (X)  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Duits naar Engels
Poet in a garret Mar 21, 2007

or on a tropical island with time to go diving. Starvation might beckon though.
Definitely don't want to go back to commuting! Freelance translation is great for me now.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
hmm Mar 21, 2007

One of two things:

1) retrain in biological/health sciences or pharmacology

2) become a lawyer.

Or both.

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Zweden
Zweeds naar Engels
+ ...
Errr... Mar 21, 2007

That's a tough one... I moved into translation from language teaching - which I still do, but mainly because it gets me out of the house and meeting people. I can't imagine going back to being employed by someone else.

Otherwise... In my ideal world I'd be a gardener in a wasp-free garden, one with a big chicken run. (And to borrow Orla's idea I'd be a chocolate taster on the side... or cheese... or wine). As this isn't an ideal world, the realistic option is that I'd probably go an
... See more
That's a tough one... I moved into translation from language teaching - which I still do, but mainly because it gets me out of the house and meeting people. I can't imagine going back to being employed by someone else.

Otherwise... In my ideal world I'd be a gardener in a wasp-free garden, one with a big chicken run. (And to borrow Orla's idea I'd be a chocolate taster on the side... or cheese... or wine). As this isn't an ideal world, the realistic option is that I'd probably go and study law.
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Engels naar Arabisch
+ ...
Librarian cum artist Mar 21, 2007

I actually worked as a librarian for 4 years, and at that time did a lot of painting, as I'd always had a budding artist inside me.

But for the last ten years, translation and motherhood have completely taken over...

Fabio Scaliti
Fabio Scaliti  Identity Verified
Italië
Lid 2004
Duits naar Italiaans
+ ...
Restaurateur Mar 21, 2007

Although languages have always been my real passion, I think I wouldn't be able to teach them to students of any age. I am just not patient enough.

So I think I'd set up a restaurant in a hilly area in Italy and run it. It's hard work, but it's one of the most profitable in Italy as well.

Fabio

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgarije
Local time: 20:39
Lid 2007
Engels naar Bulgaars
+ ...

Tourism Mar 21, 2007

Tourism. I love languages... I love communicating with different people... I love learning new things every single day... I love doing different things every day... It's fun... I love fun... And... I love to love!)

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazilië
Local time: 14:39
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
In my case, it's not an "if"... Mar 21, 2007

I actually am a professional musician, but since I can't seem to earn a living at it unless I play music I can't stand, I do translations to support myself. I'm grateful, because free-lance translation is generally quite a pleasant job. There was a time when I supported myself with music, but I got tired of taking requests, so I decided to find another way to earn money and just do the music I like!

I also worked fo
... See more
I actually am a professional musician, but since I can't seem to earn a living at it unless I play music I can't stand, I do translations to support myself. I'm grateful, because free-lance translation is generally quite a pleasant job. There was a time when I supported myself with music, but I got tired of taking requests, so I decided to find another way to earn money and just do the music I like!

I also worked for 12 years as a journalist in the distant past.

Amy
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
I'd... Mar 21, 2007

finish my training and work as a physician (and probably, I'd be moaning about the working conditions and that I am never at home).

Ma. Fernanda Blesa
Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentinië
Local time: 14:39
Lid 2005
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
Translator Mar 21, 2007

I'm definitely a translator, my heart's been telling me that since I finished highschool but my mind refused to consider "English" a serious profession for a while... so I ended up studying Biochemistry (which I love) for 3 years until I finally accepted that, as much as I liked it, I didin't want to do that for the rest of my life. So I switched to translation and it proved to be a very hard but wise decision for me. Naturally as a female freshly graduated translator I did some teaching and so... See more
I'm definitely a translator, my heart's been telling me that since I finished highschool but my mind refused to consider "English" a serious profession for a while... so I ended up studying Biochemistry (which I love) for 3 years until I finally accepted that, as much as I liked it, I didin't want to do that for the rest of my life. So I switched to translation and it proved to be a very hard but wise decision for me. Naturally as a female freshly graduated translator I did some teaching and some administrative work hehe, loved them both too, but once again they didn't feel right for me. And now here I am, a freelancer, and this time it does feel right and I know this is exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life. So I am a translator, even if I find almost everything interesting (well, actually, that is WHY I am a translator, right?)Collapse

Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Lid
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
flying on a magic carpet Mar 21, 2007

surrounded with lots and lots of languages.
When I discovered I could be a translator and finally work for myself , and start doing it, that is stop talking about it, I was really happy, something ticked or striked in me.
I started as a very good pupil, head always in books, went to high school, university, but felt I had no choice over what I was studying. As an adult, I did a bit of teaching, a few years of office work, at home and abroad.
I now love the freedom of being able
... See more
surrounded with lots and lots of languages.
When I discovered I could be a translator and finally work for myself , and start doing it, that is stop talking about it, I was really happy, something ticked or striked in me.
I started as a very good pupil, head always in books, went to high school, university, but felt I had no choice over what I was studying. As an adult, I did a bit of teaching, a few years of office work, at home and abroad.
I now love the freedom of being able to work anywhere now with a computer and a link to the world (internet!)
So yes I love being a translator,
deep down I am a dreamer, a bit of an artist, and a great lover of books,
I love libraries, so I understand those who mention being a librarian.
and finally I love languages, and when I 've got a bit of free time, I read some new foreign words, these days I've fallen in love with Italian, it must be all these vowels that make it sound so colourful...
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chili
Local time: 13:39
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
Too many things to name... Mar 21, 2007

I decided to study Translation because:

1. I love languages

2. I love way too many things/disciplines/occupations, and being a translator allows me to delve deeper into them whithout studying them formally, which is why I love my chosen profession. Otherwise, I'd need to live at least 200 years and be a millionaire.

Some of the things I would glady work as (provided I were able to get the necessary training) are: psychologist, nurse, psychiatrist, an
... See more
I decided to study Translation because:

1. I love languages

2. I love way too many things/disciplines/occupations, and being a translator allows me to delve deeper into them whithout studying them formally, which is why I love my chosen profession. Otherwise, I'd need to live at least 200 years and be a millionaire.

Some of the things I would glady work as (provided I were able to get the necessary training) are: psychologist, nurse, psychiatrist, anthroplogist, speech-language pathologist, (and the list goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, ...).
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 13:39
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
Real work Mar 21, 2007

If I didn't have to spend a lot of time translating, I would simply continue with my 'other jobs': media research and genealogy.

The problem is that in both those fields I usually end up having to do a lot of translation (often of my own writings).

Is there no escape???

MediaMatrix

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What would you do if you were not a translator ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »