If my English is too poor to be understood?
Thread poster: Jing Nie
Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 08:44
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

Hi,

I posted a job on proz last night.

It is not a translation job. But all 3 candidates who gave quotations thought it was a translation job.

I posted the job and received 2 quotations 1 hour later, 2 candidates thought it is a translation job and gave me their translation rate per word.So I added a note on my Job posting, then I received another quotation 30 mins later. The 3rd candidate said he can do the translation and give me his translation rate per
... See more
Hi,

I posted a job on proz last night.

It is not a translation job. But all 3 candidates who gave quotations thought it was a translation job.

I posted the job and received 2 quotations 1 hour later, 2 candidates thought it is a translation job and gave me their translation rate per word.So I added a note on my Job posting, then I received another quotation 30 mins later. The 3rd candidate said he can do the translation and give me his translation rate per word as well.

I 'd like to know if my English is too poor to be understood by other people, why all 3 candidates thought I need someone to translation the file?

The link of the job is here:
http://www.proz.com/job/288088

Thanks.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Perfectly understandable Oct 17, 2008

Jing,
I read your job post and it was perfectly understandable to me. I did not think it was a translation job.

Amy

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very clear Oct 17, 2008

Hi Jing,

The job posted is very clear to me and perfectly understandable.
It says nothing about translation.

Nice weekend to all!
Marina

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:44
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Your English is fine Oct 17, 2008

Hi Jing (or is it Nie?),

Your English is fine and perfectly understandable. The fault does not lie with your posting!

Have a great weekend,

Liz

[Edited at 2008-10-17 21:56]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:44
Dutch to English
+ ...
Some people don't take the time to read Oct 17, 2008

Your posting is perfectly clear and you emphasize that a translation is not needed, only aligning of the English and Korean text.

Some people just don't take the time to read carefully or don't pay attention.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:44
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Clear Oct 17, 2008

Your job posting is fully clear, just some people don't bother to read before quoting.

Uldis

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 17:44
English to Russian
+ ...
It's not your English... Oct 18, 2008

...it's theirs.

Or maybe it's their attention to details. Either way, they are not the people you want for any job!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Your English is okay, the assignment is a bit confusing Oct 18, 2008

When you talk about alignment the first idea that comes up to a translator's mind is to segment an original and its translation to get a translation memory for a CAT tool.

What you need here is spotting. There are two possibilities, but you didn't state which one is your case.

Case A
You have spotted subtitles in English, which looks like this (though this one is in Portuguese):

0:02:00.17 0:02:04.85 O que oferecemos todo dia
... See more
When you talk about alignment the first idea that comes up to a translator's mind is to segment an original and its translation to get a translation memory for a CAT tool.

What you need here is spotting. There are two possibilities, but you didn't state which one is your case.

Case A
You have spotted subtitles in English, which looks like this (though this one is in Portuguese):

0:02:00.17 0:02:04.85 O que oferecemos todo dia é algo|que poucos hotéis fazem.
0:02:04.85 0:02:07.90 O gerente geral está lá, fazendo|omelete para os hóspedes.
0:02:07.90 0:02:11.26 Eu me envolvo diretamente com|os hóspedes 2 horas por dia...
0:02:11.26 0:02:13.38 e descubro o quanto|Nestão gostando daqui...
0:02:13.38 0:02:16.07 e o que posso fazer para tornar|a estadia mais agradável.

NOTE: This example was fabricated from an actual file. Format varies among 50+ types, depending on software used for subtitling.

What you need is someone to break a continuous script in Korean into the corresponding lines in English, so that a subtitler can use the times in&out on the left.

Case B
The script in English you have was just used for someone to translate it into Korean. It is helpful as a reference.

Now you need someone to break the Korean text into subtitles, according to the subtitling practices adopted in Korea, so they can be sync-ed. What I mean is that one subtitle shouldn't cover parts of two phrases and stay on the screen during a pause in speech. They'll use the audio or video to sort that out.

If the same person who does it has the knowledge and subtitling software, it would be good if they could do the spotting as well, otherwise you'll have to find a Korean spotter.

If this is your case, don't forget to specify what subtitles file type you client needs (ask them!).

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2008-10-18 01:41]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quite clear to me too! Oct 18, 2008

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot . Oct 18, 2008

If only one candidate could not understand my job posting , I will think he don't take the time to read , but 3 of 3 candidates thought it was a translation project, I became confused.

Now everyone give me positive replies, my confidence is back again:)

Thanks so much, everyone.

[修改时间: 2008-10-18 10:13]

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Case A Oct 18, 2008

Hi José,

Thanks for your suggestion.
I have spotted subtitles in English, so I need someone to break a continuous script in Korean into the corresponding lines in English.

BTW, my client need the completed video, rather than a script, so I have to hardsub the subtitles into the video myself. Your posts on how to do the hardsub in subtitling forum help me a lot, thanks a lot. Now I can do the hardsub myself.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Case A

0:02:00.17 0:02:04.85 O que oferecemos todo dia é algo|que poucos hotéis fazem.
0:02:04.85 0:02:07.90 O gerente geral está lá, fazendo|omelete para os hóspedes.
0:02:07.90 0:02:11.26 Eu me envolvo diretamente com|os hóspedes 2 horas por dia...
0:02:11.26 0:02:13.38 e descubro o quanto|Nestão gostando daqui...
0:02:13.38 0:02:16.07 e o que posso fazer para tornar|a estadia mais agradável.

NOTE: This example was fabricated from an actual file. Format varies among 50+ types, depending on software used for subtitling.

What you need is someone to break a continuous script in Korean into the corresponding lines in English, so that a subtitler can use the times in&out on the left.

Case B
The script in English you have was just used for someone to translate it into Korean. It is helpful as a reference.

Now you need someone to break the Korean text into subtitles, according to the subtitling practices adopted in Korea, so they can be sync-ed. What I mean is that one subtitle shouldn't cover parts of two phrases and stay on the screen during a pause in speech. They'll use the audio or video to sort that out.

If the same person who does it has the knowledge and subtitling software, it would be good if they could do the spotting as well, otherwise you'll have to find a Korean spotter.

If this is your case, don't forget to specify what subtitles file type you client needs (ask them!).

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2008-10-18 01:41]

Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Clear, but.. Oct 28, 2008

There are job seekers who bid desperately and just copy and paste their "cover letter" to bid generally, not specifically.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If my English is too poor to be understood?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »