Question about turnaround time between quoting and delivery deadlines
Thread poster: Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
French to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2009

I'm just starting out as a freelancer and, browsing the jobs board I have been surprised to see that there may be quite a long quoting deadline but that there is then just an hour or two allowed to do the job and return it by the delivery deadline. Am I reading this wrong or is that what is meant? How do translators keep the vital one or two hours completely free for a potential job they might not get? What happens if there is difficult terminology that would take time to research? I just do not... See more
I'm just starting out as a freelancer and, browsing the jobs board I have been surprised to see that there may be quite a long quoting deadline but that there is then just an hour or two allowed to do the job and return it by the delivery deadline. Am I reading this wrong or is that what is meant? How do translators keep the vital one or two hours completely free for a potential job they might not get? What happens if there is difficult terminology that would take time to research? I just do not understand how people can produce good work under such pressure and I would be really interested to know if that is how agencies generally operate, or whether it is specific to the jobs posted on here. Many thanks for any replies.Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Welcome to reality Mar 24, 2009

You are realizing that while some outsourcers may be extremely demanding on the translators they hire, they often fail to keep compatible work standards themselves.

Ostensibly careless job posting here on Proz is unfortunately very common. Amazingly, the few end-clients who now and then post jobs here - by concept amateurs at translation work outsourcing - often specify their needs much better.

I was about to add a list of "silly" job posts by self-claimed translation a
... See more
You are realizing that while some outsourcers may be extremely demanding on the translators they hire, they often fail to keep compatible work standards themselves.

Ostensibly careless job posting here on Proz is unfortunately very common. Amazingly, the few end-clients who now and then post jobs here - by concept amateurs at translation work outsourcing - often specify their needs much better.

I was about to add a list of "silly" job posts by self-claimed translation agencies, but you seem to have found plenty on your own.
Collapse

Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 01:12
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Don't trust the quoting deadline Mar 24, 2009

What José Henrique is saying is true, but I will make another point: very often the jobs are are closed well before the announced deadline has run out - often several days earlier (I seem to remember a week to be longest I have seen). 6 minutes I think is the fastest closing that I have seen mentioned here... so if you are planning to quote, do so immediately.

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies. Mar 31, 2009

They are much appreciated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about turnaround time between quoting and delivery deadlines

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »