Abbyy PDF Transformer: breaking tags around non-English chars?!
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:13
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 9, 2008

Hi all,

I came across an annoying bug in Abbyy PDF Transformer, and I wonder if anyone else encountered it.

I want to OCR a layered PDF with Swedish text. In Abbyy, I select "Remove all formatting", and convert it to DOC.

When opening the resulting DOC file in Word, everything looks fine. I'm able to translate this with Trados TWB using the Word interface. Even with "show hidden characters", nothing unusual is noticed.

BUT if I choose to open i
... See more
Hi all,

I came across an annoying bug in Abbyy PDF Transformer, and I wonder if anyone else encountered it.

I want to OCR a layered PDF with Swedish text. In Abbyy, I select "Remove all formatting", and convert it to DOC.

When opening the resulting DOC file in Word, everything looks fine. I'm able to translate this with Trados TWB using the Word interface. Even with "show hidden characters", nothing unusual is noticed.

BUT if I choose to open it with TagEditor instead, it reveals that the file has segment breaks (that were previously invisible) between all Swedish characters (å,ä,ö).

For instance "räksmörgås" is displayed in TE as räksmörgås

My guess is that it must be a problem with the character encoding, assigning the wrong code page to the output file.

But there is no setting for me to assign the character coding, neither in PDF Transformer 1.0 or 2.0.

I don't want any advice about switching to another OCR program. I have access to most of the other programs on the market, including FineReader. But I'd like to know if there is a solution to this bug?

Thanks a lot for your input!

/J
Collapse

Ahmed Maher
Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
Copy & Paste Jan 11, 2009

Hello,

I remember that I have encountered the same problem, and I Just opened the word file and used sellect all to sellect all the file then I pasted it into a new word file. Then I imported this new one to tageditor, and every thing works well.

Regards,
Ahmed Maher

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbyy PDF Transformer: breaking tags around non-English chars?!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »