Thread poster: Shimpei Shimizu (X)
Shimpei Shimizu (X)
Shimpei Shimizu (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2009

I use Windows Vista in English environment.

Recently, I received couple of *.zip files, and I couldn't unzip them with the application that came with Windows Vista. I tried PKZip with the same result.

7-Zip was able to unzip the files, but the unzipped file names got jumbled up. The contents (PDF files) were fine, but I couldn't read the file names (which were written in Japanese).

Does anybody know of a software, that can be installed in English version of
... See more
I use Windows Vista in English environment.

Recently, I received couple of *.zip files, and I couldn't unzip them with the application that came with Windows Vista. I tried PKZip with the same result.

7-Zip was able to unzip the files, but the unzipped file names got jumbled up. The contents (PDF files) were fine, but I couldn't read the file names (which were written in Japanese).

Does anybody know of a software, that can be installed in English version of Windows Vista that can zip and unzip files with Japanese file names?

I don't want to be switching my PC environment back and forth between English and Japanese...

Please help!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:36
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Check your system settings Sep 28, 2009

Go to Control Panel (or whatever it is in Vista) and see, if support for Asian languages is enabled. I have no problem with zipping/unzipping files with kana in the names using 7-zip 9.04 under Windows XP with such support enabled.

[Edited at 2009-09-28 08:01 GMT]

Patricia Bowden
Patricia Bowden
Italy
Local time: 05:36
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Similar problem in Window 8 Mar 10, 2014

I am having the same problem unzipping files with Japanese name.

I checked control panel and Japanese is installed on my machine. However the filenames are still corrupt when I unzip the file.

I am using using 7zip, though I do not know which version. I am also running Windows 8.1.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Mar 10, 2014

The only way that I ever found to do it was to unzip the package on a computer sold in Japan then transfer the files to my computer. Not saying that is the only way, but it was the easiest for me to do so I never looked further into it.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 11:36
Chinese to English
+ ...
Non-Unicode languages Mar 11, 2014

Control Panel > Region and Language > Administrative > Language for non-Unicode programs > Change system locale > Japanese (Japan)

Also try changing language of 7-zip to Japanese.

[Edited at 2014-03-11 07:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Zipping/unzipping files with Japanese file names

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »