Thread poster: Victoria Ruth
Victoria Ruth
Victoria Ruth
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:36
French to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2010

I'm trying to find out whether there is any software that goes a bit further in identifying repetitions. I am currently using Trados to analyse texts (often coverted from PDFs) to show the AMOUNT of repetition, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any software which is able to also show the LOCATION of the repetitons?

For example, it would be great know that a 100% match reoccurs x number of times, AND on which pages. Am I asking too much of technology at this point??

... See more
I'm trying to find out whether there is any software that goes a bit further in identifying repetitions. I am currently using Trados to analyse texts (often coverted from PDFs) to show the AMOUNT of repetition, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any software which is able to also show the LOCATION of the repetitons?

For example, it would be great know that a 100% match reoccurs x number of times, AND on which pages. Am I asking too much of technology at this point??

There is a related post from last year:
http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/141704-looking_for_software_to_compare_merge_pdfs.html

Do people still find that Abbyy finereader and Trados is the best software combination for reliably identifying repetitions in files originally sent in PDF format?

Many thanks for your comments on this.

VR
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 01:36
English to German
Why? Oct 2, 2010

Victoria Ruth wrote:
I am currently using Trados to analyse texts (often coverted from PDFs) to show the AMOUNT of repetition, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any software which is able to also show the LOCATION of the repetitons?

AFAIK, such a software doesn't exist, but could easily be created because it would be a rather trivial program. However, it would not be very useful because the results wouldn't be accepted by translators or by agencies. It would also be unnecessary, because Trados, or any other CAT tool for that matter, makes sure that you need to translate a segment only once. Therefore knowing where else the same segment occurs only matters if several translators work on the same project. If that's the case, you'd simply have to use the CAT tool's QA features to make sure that identical segments have the same translations and post-edit any segment with multiple translations.

If you have two converted .pdf files and suspect that they're very similar, you could use the Use TM from Previous Analysis option in Trados 2007 to compare them and find out how many segments they have in common. For more information see the The Use TM from Previous Analysis option (Analysis dialog box) help topic in the Translator's Workbench online help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Identifying and viewing repetitions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »