Thread poster: KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:22
Russian to German
+ ...
Jul 31, 2013

I'm not very hopeful anyone will be able to anwer this, but anyways, maybe somebody has had the same issue and can help me out.

I'm working on a transcription project in InqScribe. My client needs me to insert a time code at exactly every 10 seconds and the time code needs to fit the time code visible in the video (which is custom and doesn't start at 00:00:00.00). I have already figured out how to start time coding at a custom time, but still, it's always off by at least a few hund
... See more
I'm not very hopeful anyone will be able to anwer this, but anyways, maybe somebody has had the same issue and can help me out.

I'm working on a transcription project in InqScribe. My client needs me to insert a time code at exactly every 10 seconds and the time code needs to fit the time code visible in the video (which is custom and doesn't start at 00:00:00.00). I have already figured out how to start time coding at a custom time, but still, it's always off by at least a few hundreds of a second. And even when it's almost accurate in the beginning (4 hundreds of a second off), it'll gradually get worse and the difference between my time coding and the time code shown on the video will increase. I used to think that a second is a second is a second, but apparently I've been wrong. What do I do to solve this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

ETA: Okay, just figured out there are 24 frames per second and the last number isn't actually counting hundreds of a second, but frames. But still, why does the difference increase over time?? The whole video is an hour long and in the end there are 5 seconds difference between my time coding and the time coding in the video.

[Edited at 2013-07-31 19:04 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My attempt Aug 1, 2013

As nobody stepped in, here is my stab at it.

Many variables involved here.

I thought I didn't know InqScribe, but then I saw its web site, and recalled having tested and discarded it. I know that changing software is a tough call, but have you ever tried Express Scribe? It has a free version, though it is audio-only. I've been using it for longer than I can remember, the f
... See more

I thought I didn't know InqScribe, but then I saw its web site, and recalled having tested and discarded it. I know that changing software is a tough call, but have you ever tried Express Scribe? It has a free version, though it is audio-only. I've been using it for longer than I can remember, the full version for a few years already, and I'm quite happy with its performance.

In fact, I met InqScribe in a search for a program better than Express Scribe for this purpose. Didn't find any.

Another possibility could be the codec used. Have you tried reencoding the video with some reliable codec? There are so many codecs around, that some of them must be bad. Perhaps the milestones on that video road of yours were placed by a drunken driver... It plays all right, but maybe the metrics within are not so accurate.

Just a couple of them. Hope it helps.
Collapse

KKastenhuber
Austria
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Codec? Aug 2, 2013

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I thought I didn't know InqScribe, but then I saw its web site, and recalled having tested and discarded it. I know that changing software is a tough call, but have you ever tried Express Scribe? It has a free version, though it is audio-only. I've been using it for longer than I can remember, the full version for a few years already, and I'm quite happy with its performance.

In fact, I met InqScribe in a search for a program better than Express Scribe for this purpose. Didn't find any.

Another possibility could be the codec used. Have you tried reencoding the video with some reliable codec? There are so many codecs around, that some of them must be bad. Perhaps the milestones on that video road of yours were placed by a drunken driver... It plays all right, but maybe the metrics within are not so accurate.

Just a couple of them. Hope it helps.

I haven't tried Express Scribe and I actually only downloaded a trial version of InqScribe specifically for this project because I needed a software that could handle videos. Except for this little time coding issue I'm very happy with it and have even been considering purchasing a full license. What didn't you like about it?
For my audio only transcription work I use an old version of F4 (from the days when the full version was still free). It's pretty basic, but has been working well for me so far, so I don't see any reason to change just now.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "reencoding" the video. Changing it from MPEG-4 into WMA for example? And how do I know what codec is reliable? (Btw, the files I was transcribing are MPEG-4 files.) I haven't tried reencoding them and I've already finished the project now (manually inserting time codes...), but I'll keep it in mind for next time!

Thanks for trying to help!

[Edited at 2013-08-02 08:13 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Then try it! Aug 2, 2013

Then I suggest you try Express Scribe before buying the other one. The paid version has video. Maybe they have a 30-day trial with video.

If you are not "into" digital video, forget the codec idea. You'd have to learn just too much for one job. Yet believe me, I get too many "flawed" or otherwise "corrupted" video files from my clients to translate, subtitle, and author on a DVD, so I had to learn the ropes.

If you'd like to learn about digital video, search and browse
... See more
Then I suggest you try Express Scribe before buying the other one. The paid version has video. Maybe they have a 30-day trial with video.

If you are not "into" digital video, forget the codec idea. You'd have to learn just too much for one job. Yet believe me, I get too many "flawed" or otherwise "corrupted" video files from my clients to translate, subtitle, and author on a DVD, so I had to learn the ropes.

If you'd like to learn about digital video, search and browse whatever you like on http://www.videohelp.com
Collapse

KKastenhuber
Austria
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will do Aug 2, 2013

I'm not "into" digital video at all, but always willing to learn. And thanks for suggesting Express Scribe, I'll definitely check it out before I buy any new software.

ETA: Just read a few reviews on Express Scribe and it seems like it's not working well for people at all. I guess I'll stick with InqScribe...

[Edited at 2013-08-02 18:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription: Timecoding problem in InqScribe

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »