Thread poster: Mandy K
Mandy K
Mandy K
Local time: 23:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 14, 2013

hi all,

i am recording a text using Audacity on my laptop but in the background you can clearly hear a buzzing sound. how can I clear it out?

is there a better software you can recommend? thank you

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:34
Japanese to English
+ ...
The problem is probably not Audacity Nov 14, 2013

In all likelihood, the buzzing is caused by your microphone. Are you using the one built-in to your laptop? You might want to look into buying a reasonably priced headset with a good mic, or else something like this (which is what I use to record voice, then transfer the files via USB to my laptop a... See more
In all likelihood, the buzzing is caused by your microphone. Are you using the one built-in to your laptop? You might want to look into buying a reasonably priced headset with a good mic, or else something like this (which is what I use to record voice, then transfer the files via USB to my laptop and import into Audacity):

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb09/articles/line6backtrack.htm

You can probably find a much cheaper version of the above with a similar-quality mic but without the guitar inputs, too.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 00:34
English to German
Electronic ... Nov 15, 2013

Orrin Cummins wrote:

The problem is probably not Audacity

Agreed.

In all likelihood, the buzzing is caused by your microphone.

Either the sound is picked-up by the built-in microphone (acoustically from the running harddisk), or it is induced by the laptop's poor built-in electronic circuits.

In the latter case an external microphone is worth a try. If necessary an external amplifier might help. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:34
Finnish to French
Smartphone Nov 15, 2013

If you have a smartphone, you may find it can act as a decent recorder, possibly with an extra app. You can then edit the resulting raw audio file in Audacity on your PC if you want. Another good editing software is Reaper. I like it better than Audacity because it allows for non-destructive editing.

Otherwise, get yourself a USB microphone, as suggested, or a dedicated digital reco
... See more
If you have a smartphone, you may find it can act as a decent recorder, possibly with an extra app. You can then edit the resulting raw audio file in Audacity on your PC if you want. Another good editing software is Reaper. I like it better than Audacity because it allows for non-destructive editing.

Otherwise, get yourself a USB microphone, as suggested, or a dedicated digital recorder like the Zoom H1 or equivalent.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 06:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
In Audacity Nov 16, 2013

Effect > Noise Removal

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
May not necessarily work Nov 18, 2013

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Effect > Noise Removal

Noise removal is a tool to eliminate hiss from a recording, not buzz.
Buzz can be reduced by equalisation, but that requires a little experience to do and is a waste of time in a situation where the recording is just a work aid.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:34
Finnish to French
Real solution: not to use laptop's internal microphone Nov 18, 2013

PAS wrote:
Buzz can be reduced by equalisation, but that requires a little experience to do and is a waste of time in a situation where the recording is just a work aid.

The original poster didn't say the recording would be just a work aid, but I agree any editing (whether noise removal, equalization etc.) is not the solution here. The solution is not to use the internal microphone of a laptop, which is the worse possible way to record.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Noise removal could work... Nov 18, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
PAS wrote:

The original poster didn't say the recording would be just a work aid, but I agree any editing (whether noise removal, equalization etc.) is not the solution here.

I agree that using a dedicated microphone would be a good solution, but I also know that Audacity's capacity for noise removal is fairly good. If you remove too much buzz, the voice sound may become metalic (as if you're talking with a can in front of your mouth), but it can remove the buzz, and sometimes removing the buzz just a little bit can be a big improvement. Speaking from experience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recording on Audacity

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »