Images in Word
Thread poster: Henry Scott (X)
Henry Scott (X)
Henry Scott (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
French to English
Dec 21, 2004

I have problems in accessing some Word documents which contain figures/diagrams. Tables do not present problems usually. I think the problems are to do with the figures/diagrams being images. I have tried copying to Paint, but still cannot edit those parts of the document. Am I missing something completely obvious? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Henry Scott.

Henry Scott

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:32
English to Czech
+ ...
Objects from another application Dec 21, 2004

The images/diagrams were probably created in another application that is not installed on your computer. In that case you won't be able to edit them.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
agree with Hynek Dec 21, 2004

If you select a graphic and then select 'Edit figure' or 'Edit picture' under the 'Edit' menu, Word will attempt to open it in the application used to create it, if it can identify the application. If that application isn't installed on your system, Word will tell you it can't open the image for editing. If Word can't identify the application used to generate the image, it cannot open it for editing.
Sometimes Word will ask you if you want to convert a graphic to a different format, but ge
... See more
If you select a graphic and then select 'Edit figure' or 'Edit picture' under the 'Edit' menu, Word will attempt to open it in the application used to create it, if it can identify the application. If that application isn't installed on your system, Word will tell you it can't open the image for editing. If Word can't identify the application used to generate the image, it cannot open it for editing.
Sometimes Word will ask you if you want to convert a graphic to a different format, but generally speaking, even if you do so it can be difficult or impossible to edit it, even in the new format.
The bottom line is that graphics in Word documents aren't intended to be edited.

[Edited at 2004-12-21 18:56]
Collapse

Annike THIERRY
Annike THIERRY  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to French
same problem Dec 21, 2004

Good evening,
I have also encountered this problem recently. The client had created diagrams in another program I did not use and I couldn't edit them. So the only solution I found (and the client agreed) was to type my translation of the contents of the diagram directly under the Figure, in between brackets, or in a separate Word document, using the same order (left to right, or clockwise, or adding remarks (column n°1, line n°1...). That was the only way I could provide the translation
... See more
Good evening,
I have also encountered this problem recently. The client had created diagrams in another program I did not use and I couldn't edit them. So the only solution I found (and the client agreed) was to type my translation of the contents of the diagram directly under the Figure, in between brackets, or in a separate Word document, using the same order (left to right, or clockwise, or adding remarks (column n°1, line n°1...). That was the only way I could provide the translation. The best is to discuss with the client was suits him best I guess. Hope that helps. Good evening and Bon courage !
Annike
Collapse

Oleg Sollogub
Oleg Sollogub  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Insert a text box Dec 22, 2004

In such cases I insert a text box right over the existing graphics. Looks fine. Just make sure the background of the text box is not transparent, try to make it the same colour as the underlying piece of graphics.

[Edited at 2004-12-22 07:55]

Henry Scott (X)
Henry Scott (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Images in Word Dec 22, 2004

Thank you to all my respondents. The points you have raised have helped me enormously with my problem.

Seasons Greetings to you all,

Henry Scott.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:32
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
These are usually created in Visio Dec 22, 2004

or so I'm told by a few translators who were able to edit like pictures. Placing text boxes over them are the only solution, if you do not have Visio.

We in office don't have Visio, so we use text boxes.

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Images in Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »