Any good accounting software that also counts mileage for interpreters and translators?
Thread poster: Didi18
Didi18
Didi18
United States
Local time: 10:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 7, 2022

Hi, I'm in the Seattle area working mostly as an interpreter, but also as a translator (would love more translation jobs!). This year I'm working with several clients and am getting lost trying to do all my accounting the old-fashioned way, which is by hand. Anybody knows of a good accounting or bookkeeping tool that also counts mileage and is useful for freelancers? All input is appreciated. Thanks.

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:33
Italian to Russian
+ ...
anycount May 10, 2022

you might want to try Anycount https://www.anycount.com/
handles different file formats, counts words in various options, automatically makes and sends customizable invoices

Didi18
Didi18
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! I'm going to check it out. May 10, 2022

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

you might want to try Anycount https://www.anycount.com/
handles different file formats, counts words in various options, automatically makes and sends customizable invoices

Thanks! I'm going to check it out.

Besides translations, I interpret both online and in-person. Mileage is deductible at the end of the year, but if I'm not adding the mileage at the end of each week, it's very easy to get behind and then when it's time to do my taxes I need to spend hours just counting miles. I need a system that I can input the information easily and fast, especially now that many businesses re-opened.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:33
German to English
Use a spreadsheet during the year May 10, 2022

When you invoice a job, enter the related mileage into a spreadsheet, which is also useful for keeping tack of your income and expenses.
Although I employ TurboTax to prepare and and file my tax returns (which offers an item for annual mileage), I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my incidental expenses and non-1099 income on an ongoing basis. I no longer travel for my business, nor do I attend trade fairs, etc., so I don't have to worry about mileage, airfare, etc.

It's basi
... See more
When you invoice a job, enter the related mileage into a spreadsheet, which is also useful for keeping tack of your income and expenses.
Although I employ TurboTax to prepare and and file my tax returns (which offers an item for annual mileage), I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my incidental expenses and non-1099 income on an ongoing basis. I no longer travel for my business, nor do I attend trade fairs, etc., so I don't have to worry about mileage, airfare, etc.

It's basically matter of discipline, but a habit easily acquired.
Collapse

Didi18

Didi18
Didi18
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Key word "discipline" May 10, 2022

Kevin Fulton wrote:

It's basically matter of discipline, but a habit easily acquired.

Ahhhh, discipline. I've been trying to acquire thee since for ever.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any good accounting software that also counts mileage for interpreters and translators?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »