MULTITERM - How to move terms accross different termbases?
Thread poster: Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:45
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 20, 2022

I have been carrying this burden for years!, if not a decade!!

Is there a way to export/move some terms from one TB to another?

In older versions of MT there was an "Export single term" option, but it seems they removed it in 2021 ver.

I don't understand why can't they just make a drag and drop function.

If somebody knows a way can you give me a brief description?
if not, I will have no choice but to contact Multiterm godess Nora Diaz.... See more
I have been carrying this burden for years!, if not a decade!!

Is there a way to export/move some terms from one TB to another?

In older versions of MT there was an "Export single term" option, but it seems they removed it in 2021 ver.

I don't understand why can't they just make a drag and drop function.

If somebody knows a way can you give me a brief description?
if not, I will have no choice but to contact Multiterm godess Nora Diaz.

I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:45
English to Russian
Glossary Converter Jul 20, 2022

Marcel Karl Gomez Galarza wrote:
I will have no choice but to contact Multiterm godess Nora Diaz.
Why do you put it as if it was your last resort? Nora is a nice expert and contacting her is always a good idea indeed. You can even 'kill two birds with one stone' by reaching out to Nora via the RWS Community site. I'm pretty sure they will be happy to answer your questions and relieve your burden.
As far as I know you can use Glossary Converter to merge TBs by the drag-and-drop method (this feature is available since 2015, if not earlier):
Select 'Merging' > then browse to your master TB if you want to add all new termbases to the existing one, or* uncheck the 'Use Master Termbase' box if you simply want to merge two or more TBs together.
With the master TB checked, drag and drop your second TB into the Glossary Converter window.
With the master TB unchecked, drag and drop TBs you want to merge into the Glossary Converter window.
That's it.

*The difference between those two options is only that you add each next new file to the same already existing termabse ('Use Master Termbase' checked), or select different files to merge each next time ('Use Master Termbase' unchecked).

Jorge Payan
expressisverbis

Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:45
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe you got me wrong Oct 18, 2022

Dear Stepan,

Thank you for your reply. I am considering Nora Diaz as my last resort because she is so good that she must be very busy and very difficult to contact (I guess).

Well I watched about 6 or 7 videos explaining how to use Glossary Converter, and it does not seem to be the solution to my problem.

You also said things like:
"drag and drop your second TB into the Glossary Converter window"
and
"drag and drop TBs you want to merg
... See more
Dear Stepan,

Thank you for your reply. I am considering Nora Diaz as my last resort because she is so good that she must be very busy and very difficult to contact (I guess).

Well I watched about 6 or 7 videos explaining how to use Glossary Converter, and it does not seem to be the solution to my problem.

You also said things like:
"drag and drop your second TB into the Glossary Converter window"
and
"drag and drop TBs you want to merge into the Glossary Converter window"
which makes me think that you may have misunderstood me.

I was talking about drag-dropping SINGLE TERMS or ENTRIES accross TBs, or any other way to efficiently accomplish the following:
GET 70 MISPLACED ENTRIES FROM A 400-ENTRY TB INTO THE APPROPRIATE TB WHICH IS ABOUT THE SAME SIZE.

Can you hint me a solution?

Stepan Konev wrote:

Marcel Karl Gomez Galarza wrote:
I will have no choice but to contact Multiterm godess Nora Diaz.
Why do you put it as if it was your last resort? Nora is a nice expert and contacting her is always a good idea indeed. You can even 'kill two birds with one stone' by reaching out to Nora via the RWS Community site. I'm pretty sure they will be happy to answer your questions and relieve your burden.
As far as I know you can use Glossary Converter to merge TBs by the drag-and-drop method (this feature is available since 2015, if not earlier):
Select 'Merging' > then browse to your master TB if you want to add all new termbases to the existing one, or* uncheck the 'Use Master Termbase' box if you simply want to merge two or more TBs together.
With the master TB checked, drag and drop your second TB into the Glossary Converter window.
With the master TB unchecked, drag and drop TBs you want to merge into the Glossary Converter window.
That's it.

*The difference between those two options is only that you add each next new file to the same already existing termabse ('Use Master Termbase' checked), or select different files to merge each next time ('Use Master Termbase' unchecked).
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:45
English to Russian
Export single term Oct 21, 2022

I use Trados Studio from its early days but I never heard of this feature (Export single term), nor could I find a single reference to it on the Internet. Can you give a link to read about that feature?
Your original post did not mention that you need to get 70 misplaced entries from a 400-entry TB into the appropriate TB. You could just mention it once, no need to type it in capslock mode. Regarding your question (Is there a way...): yes, there is. You simply need a script that aut
... See more
I use Trados Studio from its early days but I never heard of this feature (Export single term), nor could I find a single reference to it on the Internet. Can you give a link to read about that feature?
Your original post did not mention that you need to get 70 misplaced entries from a 400-entry TB into the appropriate TB. You could just mention it once, no need to type it in capslock mode. Regarding your question (Is there a way...): yes, there is. You simply need a script that automatically adds a list of new terms. If you are interested, email me through the Proz email feature.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MULTITERM - How to move terms accross different termbases?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »