Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What's "the best" word count software to use?
Thread poster: Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:29
French to Finnish
+ ...
Oct 31, 2006

Hi there,
I am looking for a word count software that I could use to counting quickly the number of words on a doc./xls.file. Is there a free software, safe to download somewhere?

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:29
German to English
+ ...
FineCount Oct 31, 2006

FineCount might be suitable. I haven't used it myself. There's a free version and a paid-for version ($40) that can do more.
http://www.tilti.com/new/en/index.php?id=2_finecountv2
According to the manual it will run under Windows 2000 and XP but not Windows 98.
Oliver

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:29
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Trados TagEditor Oct 31, 2006

I have made some tests to estimate the accuracy of such software. The final word count of the same file may differ very much depending on software you are using. Thus there is no one really reliable.
If you have Trados, the best way is to open the document in TagEditor and use the ANALYSE function. In this way text boxes, footnotes and headers in Word are included. In spite of that, the statistical function of Word does not count them.
I'm also using PractiCount - it includes invoici
... See more
I have made some tests to estimate the accuracy of such software. The final word count of the same file may differ very much depending on software you are using. Thus there is no one really reliable.
If you have Trados, the best way is to open the document in TagEditor and use the ANALYSE function. In this way text boxes, footnotes and headers in Word are included. In spite of that, the statistical function of Word does not count them.
I'm also using PractiCount - it includes invoicing as a "one stop" solution. But almost always I make a double-check with Trados.

Best regards

Andrzej
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Definition of "accuracy" Oct 31, 2006

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

How do you measure the accuracy of the count, given that there is no consensus on the definition of a "word" in English, for example?

Marc

Andrzej Lejman
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Marc, Oct 31, 2006

it's not my intention to conduct a thorough examination of the problem and to solve fundamental problems.
I simply compare existing tools to find out their weaknesses and advantages. I chose the most appropriate to my needs and preferences.
That's all.

Regards

Andrzej

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
What's "the best" word count software to use? Oct 31, 2006

Apologies if you thought I was criticizing your post, Andrzej. I was just pointing out that because two products return a different count, it does not mean that one is more accurate than the other.

I am writing my own (very simple) count tool at the moment, btw. If anyone is interested in testing it (and/or learning to program), it is
... See more
Apologies if you thought I was criticizing your post, Andrzej. I was just pointing out that because two products return a different count, it does not mean that one is more accurate than the other.

I am writing my own (very simple) count tool at the moment, btw. If anyone is interested in testing it (and/or learning to program), it is available here: http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegatk/tkount_1.1.zip

Marc
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Windows XP Oct 31, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:

If anyone is interested in testing it (and/or learning to program), it is available here: http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegatk/tkount_1.1.zip

Marc

Hi Marc,

I´m interested in testing your sofware but does it run in Windows XP? Which are the system requirements?

Thanks
Marina

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...

Marina Soldati wrote:

I´m interested in testing your sofware but does it run in Windows XP? Which are the system requirements?

It requires tcl/tk, Abiword (including the Abiword CLI plug-in) and pdftotxt. tcl/tk and Abiword are available for Windows, and AFAIK so is the Abiword CLI plug-in.

pdftotext is only available for Linux (and Mac) as far as I know, but you might be able to use an alternative command-line pdf-to-text converter for Windows, particularly pdf2txt (which costs $38, but there is a free trial version).

If you're interested in learning and playing around with the tcl/tk programming language (which is very easy - even I have learnt it!), it might be fun. Otherwise, probably not...

Marc

Andrzej Lejman
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Marc, Oct 31, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:

Marc

I see this as a normal discussion, nothing in personal. So your apologies were not needed at all

The answer is simple: when you are ready to invest some time and hand work, counting the words in a file by hand, you can easily check than, how accurate the software is.

That's what I ment.

In my opinion, counting Word files with TagEditor is often the best method, since the software literally "sucks out" all single elements of the file.

But everyone has a free choice.

Best regards

Andrzej

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
English to Spanish
TagEditor does not count everything Oct 31, 2006

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

Tageditor can't translate page page headers, page footers, footnotes and embedded objects in an OpenOffice document.

You can't be sure that it counts everything, as it does not translate everything

Regards,

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...

The answer is simple: when you are ready to invest some time and hand work, counting the words in a file by hand, you can easily check than, how accurate the software is.

There are (at least) two reasons for discrepancies. One is that some tools do not count all of the text. Some tools don't count text in text boxes, headers, footers, etc. This is solved by counting manually as you suggest.

The other reason is that there is no consensus on what constitutes "a word". For example, is "don't" one word, or two? What about hyphenated words? Some tools would count 1,000,000 as three words, some as one, and some wouldn't count it at all.

Marc

Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Ryan Ginstrom (X)
Local time: 06:29
Japanese to English
Count Anything is a free tool that gives word counts for MS Office files Aug 5, 2008

katerina100 wrote:

Hi there,
I am looking for a word count software that I could use to counting quickly the number of words on a doc./xls.file. Is there a free software, safe to download somewhere?

Count Anything is a free program that can count words in MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint, as well as PDF, HTML, XML, RTF, and text files. It tries to stick very closely to the word counts produced by MS Word, although there are some minor discrepancies (for example, MS Word counts bullets in bullet lists as words; Count Anything doesn't).

Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom

Jean-Marc Tapernoux (X)
Jean-Marc Tapernoux (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to French
+ ...
Flexible word counting program Oct 5, 2011

What is a word, asked xxxMarc P. Using "Word Frequency Counter" or "Word Frequency Counter Advanced" (for Windows XP to 7) from www.hermetic.ch/wfc/wfc.htm YOU decide what you want to count as a word. You can set following parameters: words with numerals / underscores _ / apostrophes ' / @ signs / colons : / forward slashes (I need a special separator here ... See more
What is a word, asked xxxMarc P. Using "Word Frequency Counter" or "Word Frequency Counter Advanced" (for Windows XP to 7) from www.hermetic.ch/wfc/wfc.htm YOU decide what you want to count as a word. You can set following parameters: words with numerals / underscores _ / apostrophes ' / @ signs / colons : / forward slashes (I need a special separator here ) / periods . / backslashes \

In the Advanced Version a word may also include ampersands &, commas, opening and closing parentheses, plus up to five user-specified characters (such as currency signs and asterisks).

For further details, see http://www.hermetic.ch/wfc/what_is_a_word.htm .

Word Frequency Counter costs $ 38.95 and Word Frequency Counter Advanced $ 63.95 for unlimited licenses. Time-limited licenses for 3 month or 1 year cost one fourth respectively half the price of an unlimited license. Trial versions are also available.

[Edited at 2011-10-05 13:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-06 08:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-06 08:12 GMT]
Collapse

Igor Vojinovič
Igor Vojinovič
Slovenia
Italian to Slovenian
+ ...
Counting in front of you while typing? Sep 6, 2012

Has enybody met word/character count software that counts in a floating small window in front of you as you type (for Microsoft Word)?

All word count that I've found require that you click somewhere, but I have this in Word already.
I need it to count WHILE I type...
(Google search didn't help me in this so far)

Enything?

Grateful,
Igor

Well Translated
Well Translated
United States
Local time: 15:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be aware of AIT and AnyCount Sep 4, 2013

If you need mostly PDFs and some Adobe formats into Word, AnyCount would work well. However, I just purchased the Enterprise version of AnyCount 8 and found out it doesn't work with JPEGs, which I receive frequently. Their product description is deceiving.
Furthermore, both Translation 3000 and AIT staff have TERRIBLE customer service. Not sure how they are still in business other than serious lack of competition.

Omar

PAL Translation

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's "the best" word count software to use?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »