Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Reino Unido
Local time: 03:43
francés al inglés
+ ...
Mar 24, 2007

Hello,

I've already posted this question on the Office applications forum as I thought it might have a Word-based solution, but I thought I'd post it here as well and see if any Dragon users have found a way round it.

I've recently started using Dragon NS, which I'm just getting to grips with, but I'm having problems getting it to type things like symbols (gamma, beta, etc) and subscript, superscripts, formulae names with the right combination of capitals eg m/s rather
... See more
Hello,

I've already posted this question on the Office applications forum as I thought it might have a Word-based solution, but I thought I'd post it here as well and see if any Dragon users have found a way round it.

I've recently started using Dragon NS, which I'm just getting to grips with, but I'm having problems getting it to type things like symbols (gamma, beta, etc) and subscript, superscripts, formulae names with the right combination of capitals eg m/s rather than M./S. Rather than type them in as I go, which spoils the flow somewhat - and defeats the object! - I had the brainwave of using Autocorrect or doing a global Find and Replace once I've finished. However, I find that I can't insert special symbols or subscripts/superscripts in the Find meu or in Autocorrect. Does anyone know how I can do this? I really could do without having to go through and adjust the subscripts in U3O8 hundreds of times? Likewise, with something like m/s, I thought if I dictated metres per second and set Autocorrect to change it automatically to m/s, that would work - but it doesn't. Don't know why.

I'm using Word 2003 and DNS 9 (Standard), by the way.

Many thanks

Claire
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 04:43
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Pronunciation Mar 24, 2007

I played around with Dragon NS a few years ago and seem to remember that one can 'teach' the system by saying something like 'em-slash-es' and then correcting the result accordingly.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Reino Unido
Local time: 03:43
francés al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Maybe practise makes perfect? Mar 24, 2007

Hi John,

I've tried that and it still persists in putting M./S.. I've even tried going to "Train" and saying it over and over, but to no avail. Maybe it takes lots of practice to get it. Or perhaps there's a setting I've overlooked? I really am in the very early stages and these are just minor teething troubles. I just feel I should be able to do it though!

Regards,

Claire

Hayley Goodstein
Hayley Goodstein  Identity Verified
español al inglés
+ ...
trick the trainer Mar 24, 2007

Use the trainer to teach Dragon how to write phrases (or perhaps your formulas) without pronouncing it the way it is written. Give it a special name/pronunciation. For example, if you want it to write H20 (with the sub2), enter the formula in the training field, but rather than pronouncing the trained text as "eych-too-oh", say it using "waterformula" or something like that. It will need to be something somewhat unique that you won't be using a lot. The only catch I can see is I'm not sure that ... See more
Use the trainer to teach Dragon how to write phrases (or perhaps your formulas) without pronouncing it the way it is written. Give it a special name/pronunciation. For example, if you want it to write H20 (with the sub2), enter the formula in the training field, but rather than pronouncing the trained text as "eych-too-oh", say it using "waterformula" or something like that. It will need to be something somewhat unique that you won't be using a lot. The only catch I can see is I'm not sure that you'll be able to enter sub/superscripts in the training field. Also if you have another document with lots of formulas, have it "learn" that document, and it will ask you to train some of the "unrecognized" text, meaning uncommon words not included in the original lexicon, which might extend to your formulas.

This "trick" strategy can also be applied to Autocorrect or Macro entries in Word. If the above doesn't work, you might create a Macro for each formula, rather than an Autocorrect entry and give the Macro a Keyboard Shortcut which you can more easily dictate.
Collapse

Ramon Soto
Ramon Soto  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 22:43
inglés al español
+ ...
In case this might help Mar 24, 2007

I haven't used Dragon NS yet, but here's a trick from my ViaVoice days:

-Create a macro (by directly recording a new word or by using the autocorrect box).
-Type in whatever you want (don't know if will work with superscript, but it should with "m/s" and similar terms or symbols).
-Record a made-up word or expression (one that would roll somewhat naturally out of your mouth).

For example, instead of saying "meters per second," you could say "mepersec," or ev
... See more
I haven't used Dragon NS yet, but here's a trick from my ViaVoice days:

-Create a macro (by directly recording a new word or by using the autocorrect box).
-Type in whatever you want (don't know if will work with superscript, but it should with "m/s" and similar terms or symbols).
-Record a made-up word or expression (one that would roll somewhat naturally out of your mouth).

For example, instead of saying "meters per second," you could say "mepersec," or even a proper name or foreign word --anything as long as the software doesn't recognize it as one of its stock terms.

-----
I see now that Hayley has made the same suggestion.

[Edited at 2007-03-24 18:58]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subscript/superscript

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »