Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Polônia
Local time: 07:19
Membro (2006)
inglês para polonês
+ ...
May 11, 2009

Hi again,

I would like to buy my soon-to-turn-four son an interesting story book to read before bed. I already have a list of books to buy containing his favourite stuff such as Thomas the Tank Engine, fire engines, jobs people do, etc., but would also like to add some adventure stories. I am thinking about something to do with knights, pirates or the like.

My son's favourite bedtime read in Polish is a collection of stories about a child knight with a trusted band of f
... See more
Hi again,

I would like to buy my soon-to-turn-four son an interesting story book to read before bed. I already have a list of books to buy containing his favourite stuff such as Thomas the Tank Engine, fire engines, jobs people do, etc., but would also like to add some adventure stories. I am thinking about something to do with knights, pirates or the like.

My son's favourite bedtime read in Polish is a collection of stories about a child knight with a trusted band of friends whose adventures include fighting a three-headed dragon, taming a giant, meeting a bear in the forest, being caught by trolls, etc. He likes the storylines, the children characters, and the fairy tale creatures. This is to give you an idea of what he likes, but a recommendation doesn't necessarily have to be a knight story collection; however, a scent of things far away and/or long ago would be nice I think.

The stories do not have to be funny. I wouldn't mind good English, though, so my son gets as much quality English input as possible, and perhaps a mildly educational value (for example, you can do it if you work together).

Again, any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Maciek
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Espanha
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Edward Eager May 11, 2009

You might want to look into the Edward Eager books, although your son may be too young for them. Have a look:

http://books.google.es/books?as_auth=Edward%20Eager&source=an&ei=s_UHStXvJ83RjAf06bDtBA&sa=X&oi=book_group&resnum=4&ct=title&cad=author-navigational

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
França
Membro
inglês para húngaro
+ ...
The Three Robbers by Tomi Ungerer May 11, 2009

I saw the movie about a year ago with my daughter, who was 4 at the time, and she enjoyed it very much (so did I). The drawings are superb, and story is very well written. You can find several editions of the book in quite a few languages; we chose a large-format book with an abridged version of the story, and she likes it very much. We also rented the movie some time ago, and my 3-year old son enjoyed it quite a lot, too -- even though some parts are difficult to understand at that age.
<
... See more
I saw the movie about a year ago with my daughter, who was 4 at the time, and she enjoyed it very much (so did I). The drawings are superb, and story is very well written. You can find several editions of the book in quite a few languages; we chose a large-format book with an abridged version of the story, and she likes it very much. We also rented the movie some time ago, and my 3-year old son enjoyed it quite a lot, too -- even though some parts are difficult to understand at that age.

Attila
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Holanda
inglês para holandês
+ ...
Harold and the purple crayon - Crockett Johnson May 11, 2009

Nice book that leaves a lot of room for imagination. My 4, 6, and 8 year old kids love it. A different kind of adventure, maybe...

Also, if your kid has a good sense of humour and is sensitive to languages, try anything by Dr. Seuss. My family especially loves Green Eggs and Ham.

They're simple books, but they're a good starting point if you want your kid to learn English.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Espanha
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Probably too young for him... May 11, 2009

But my two (5 and 7) still enjoy Charlie Cook's Favourite Book (" There are pirates and ghosts, knights and dragons, crocodiles and aliens all waiting in its pages.") as well the others in the series:

http://www.gruffalo.com/section.php?s=php/books.php

Edited to clarify age suitability

[Edited at 2009-05-11 11:48 GMT]

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 01:19
inglês para russo
+ ...
Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne May 11, 2009

There are dozens of books in this series. The story line is great and very educational. These books are the favorites of my 7-year old.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 23:19
espanhol para inglês
My personal favourite... May 12, 2009

.. is the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I read it to my daughter when she was six and she was able to read it herself when she was eight. So possibly four is too young, I couldn't say. But the adventures are excellent as is the language.

The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton is another possibility

Claire Titchmarsh
Claire Titchmarsh  Identity Verified
Itália
Membro (2013)
italiano para inglês
+ ...
The Night Pirates May 14, 2009

I can't remember offhand who wrote it, but my little boy loved it and he is nearly 4. Just google it or look it up on Amazon.

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
França
francês para inglês
+ ...
The Princess Bride - William Goldman May 20, 2009

and of course its movie directed by Rob Reiner.

Despite the tite it's adored especially by boys of all ages, so much so, it has a cult status.

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Alemanha
alemão para inglês
+ ...
Where the Wild Things Are May 20, 2009

This may be too obvious for you, but I recommend Where the Wild Things Are. I still remember the illustrations.

From the amazon.com review:
Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild
... See more
This may be too obvious for you, but I recommend Where the Wild Things Are. I still remember the illustrations.

From the amazon.com review:
Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espanha
Membro (2005)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
YES! May 20, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:
The Three Robbers by Tomi Ungerer

Yes, this is a very good one! We have it in Spanish and it provides lots of fun. I recommend it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espanha
Membro (2005)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
The Princes Bride May 20, 2009

N.M. Eklund wrote:
The Princess Bride

I haven't read the book, but will order it (both in Spanish and English) and will start to read it to my boys. The movie is fantastic. We are addicted to it.

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Polônia
Membro (2006)
inglês para polonês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thank you all! May 25, 2009

Thank you all very much for your suggestions!

I haven't decided yet what to buy, but you've certailny given me food for thought. I'll come back to your suggestions when the next big invoice payment arrives.

Maciek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a knight/pirate/etc. book for a 4-5 year old

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »