Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:24
Flemish to English
+ ...
May 28, 2008

Microsoft announced its new OS for 2009 : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7422924.stm
Touch screen and voice-recognition will become more integrated and replace mouse and keyboard.
One particular software producer already integrates advanced machine-translation and CAT into 1 program. If need be, you simply scan the document, translate it with MT, correct it with dragon
... See more
Microsoft announced its new OS for 2009 : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7422924.stm
Touch screen and voice-recognition will become more integrated and replace mouse and keyboard.
One particular software producer already integrates advanced machine-translation and CAT into 1 program. If need be, you simply scan the document, translate it with MT, correct it with dragon (voice-recognition) and have it read aloud by the program. Given the way M$ is going with their next OS, I would not be surprised if this producer integrated voice-recognition in the next version of their product. Link all of this to a huge database, like Googles' database and the only role of the translator will be to correct the translation. An unavoidable evolution.
Perhaps not such a sunny view of things to come!?
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I'd wait for the cyborg version May 28, 2008

The Windows version I'm waiting for will come with electrons integrated into your brain, so you don't have to move a finger, just think.

Seriously, I hope I will find the courage to jump from XP either to Linux or to Apple.

Cheers
Heinrich

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:24
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Which one? May 28, 2008

Williamson wrote:

One particular software producer already integrates advanced machine-translation and CAT into 1 program.

Which one are you referring too? There could be more than one

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:24
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Machine translation is not for our work May 28, 2008

We many times fear that MT will leave us out of work. It could, of course, in the very long run. But MT was not made for our work really. A company who would rely on MT for their documents or communications is one that does not care much about the result, and would never pay a translator to do it. It's either MT or leaving their stuff untranslated.

The same happens with tons of repetitive materials that are already translated with MT with a certain degree of success (Microsoft's kno
... See more
We many times fear that MT will leave us out of work. It could, of course, in the very long run. But MT was not made for our work really. A company who would rely on MT for their documents or communications is one that does not care much about the result, and would never pay a translator to do it. It's either MT or leaving their stuff untranslated.

The same happens with tons of repetitive materials that are already translated with MT with a certain degree of success (Microsoft's knowledge base is an example). But... will you feel really sorry if the "To save the file, choose File > Save." kind of work disappeared from our market?

Do you really think Microsoft would have translated their KB if they could not use MT? No way, José!!

We translators are here for trickier stuff. We will be out of work as soon as some scientist finds the way to hammer our thoughts, beliefs, fears, feelings, and all the rest of our brains and souls into a computer. Until that happens, I will not be affraid of my future as a translator and will keep working hard to improve every day. Let machines come to me in an orderly queue and let's see who wins!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The next windows OS : A view of things to come

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »