Does anybody use Microsoft Virtual PC to work daily?
Thread poster: Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 29, 2009

Dear fellow translators,
I have a HP notebook and managed to install Windows XP in it but I could not find all the drivers and the operation of the OS is very limited. The factory settings use Windows Vista but not all my CAT tools are compatible. So I am thinking about using Microsoft Virtual PC in order to have a virtual machine with Windows XP, since we do not have Windows 7 full here in Brazil yet. Does anybody translate daily with Microsoft Virtual PC? Do you recommend?
Thank yo
... See more
Dear fellow translators,
I have a HP notebook and managed to install Windows XP in it but I could not find all the drivers and the operation of the OS is very limited. The factory settings use Windows Vista but not all my CAT tools are compatible. So I am thinking about using Microsoft Virtual PC in order to have a virtual machine with Windows XP, since we do not have Windows 7 full here in Brazil yet. Does anybody translate daily with Microsoft Virtual PC? Do you recommend?
Thank you.
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Not sure Jul 29, 2009

Of course, it could be done, but I'm not sure how much it would be comfortable to work in such environment. Btw, could you tell more about the whole problem, which tools you have are not Vista compatible, and which drivers you were not able to find for the XP?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dual boot Jul 29, 2009

Why not set up a proper dual boot system while you are at it? Do you need to switch between OSes often?

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:18
German to Lithuanian
Use Windows Vista Jul 29, 2009

I can not understand, why people dislike Windows Vista so much.
It is a very good operating system.
If you bought your computer with Windows Vista, use it. I am very satisfied with Windows Vista. Everything is running on it. I experience no system crashes.

BTW., if something is not running, you can try to switch "compatibility mode": right-click on the program icon, choose properties and compatibility tab. Then choose "compatibility mode".

Regards,
Egi
... See more
I can not understand, why people dislike Windows Vista so much.
It is a very good operating system.
If you bought your computer with Windows Vista, use it. I am very satisfied with Windows Vista. Everything is running on it. I experience no system crashes.

BTW., if something is not running, you can try to switch "compatibility mode": right-click on the program icon, choose properties and compatibility tab. Then choose "compatibility mode".

Regards,
Egidijus
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Virtualbox Jul 30, 2009

Hello,

all the mac users use virutalisation software to run Windows on their Apple computers. You have the choice between Parallels, VMware Fusion and Virtualbox (free).
But why not staying with Vista or wait at least until Windows 7 comes.

Regards

Noe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anybody use Microsoft Virtual PC to work daily?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »