ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:54
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2021

Suppose I am about to save a new file in Windows 10. If the new filename already exists in my hard disk (folder), Windows adds a suffix (1) to the filename, and saves that file like that. It does not ask you what to do.
Now you have 2 files with almost the same filename, and those 2 files may or may not be the same.

In the past Windows versions, it used to ask you saying that the filename already exists, and would you like to overwrite or not. That way you knew that the f
... See more
Suppose I am about to save a new file in Windows 10. If the new filename already exists in my hard disk (folder), Windows adds a suffix (1) to the filename, and saves that file like that. It does not ask you what to do.
Now you have 2 files with almost the same filename, and those 2 files may or may not be the same.

In the past Windows versions, it used to ask you saying that the filename already exists, and would you like to overwrite or not. That way you knew that the filename already exists in that folder. In Windows 10, is there a way to make it work like previous Windows versions, i.e. tell you that the filename already exists, and would you like to overwrite or not?
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
What kind of file? Jun 6, 2021

Could you clarify what type of file you have a problem with and the steps you take to save it?

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:54
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Save image as... Jun 6, 2021

Mostly image files (.JPG) but I think other files (e.g. .DOC) have the same behavior. I just right click on the image, and choose Save image as. It opens a Save As dialog box to save the file. If the filename is unique, it just saves the file. If there is a file with the same filename, it adds a suffix (1) to the filename. It does not tell you the filename already exists.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:54
French to English
+ ...
This is not due to Windows 10 Jun 6, 2021

Atil, the behaviour you describe is not due to Windows 10 itself but rather to the specific software you are saving files from (e.g. your web browser). For example, Firefox and Chrome do have this function, and it is configurable: if you set the file saving option to always ask for file location, it will warn you of duplicate names. For more details, search for "auto-rename saved files".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving a New File in Windows 10

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »