What mechanical keyboard would you recommend? Why?
Thread poster: Karla Buss
Karla Buss
Karla Buss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 10, 2021

Hi all! I want to start using a mechanical keyboard and I'm overwhelmed by the options out there. Most of them seem good for gaming, but I don't know what's best for translators. Could you tell me which one you use and why it works for you? TIA!

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:11
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Brown switches Sep 10, 2021

When I decided to get myself a mechanical keyboard I did my research and settled on a keyboard with brown (Cherry MX) switches. Brown switches are generally recommended for people who type a lot, plus I liked their feel. I strongly suggest you try different keyboards first at some store, to see which ones you like best, because they have different feel and sound.

There is a nice com
... See more
When I decided to get myself a mechanical keyboard I did my research and settled on a keyboard with brown (Cherry MX) switches. Brown switches are generally recommended for people who type a lot, plus I liked their feel. I strongly suggest you try different keyboards first at some store, to see which ones you like best, because they have different feel and sound.

There is a nice comparison here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlSPH3HvxhQ&ab_channel=KeyMouse

[Edited at 2021-09-10 12:39 GMT]
Collapse

Endre Both

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The cheapest one Sep 10, 2021

Karla Buss wrote:
I want to start using a mechanical keyboard and I'm overwhelmed by the options out there.

Get the cheapest one you can find, and use it for a week. If you dislike it, buy the next cheapest one, etc. Alternatively, if you do like it, buy ten extra, because keyboard manufacturers tend to continuously update and change their keyboard designs, so you are unlikely to be able to find the same model later if the first one breaks.

I currently use this one:
https://www.trust.com/nl/product/21132-ximo-wireless-keyboard-with-mouse
What I like particularly about it is the fact that there is almost no "bevel" -- the F keys are directly at the edge of the keyboard, and the same applies to the number pad keys. I used to use a different model from this brand, but they discontinued it. I believe this one is being discontinued, too, so I'd better get down to the computer store and buy whatever stock they have left. The only things I dislike about this keyboard is the fact that there are no lights for when NumLock is on, and NumLock gets enabled seemingly at random, causing me to type numbers when I try to move the cursor, but I'm used to it by now.

[Edited at 2021-09-10 12:41 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
My choice... Sep 10, 2021

..is always the lowest shelf at a supermarket. Prices are approx. EUR 6 - 10 (in my country). No need to spend more as the overall build quality of even the cheapest products is sufficient for like 5 (or more) years of operation. My first criterion: classic layout as the IBM model M https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard . That was the first I ever saw with a PC computer (back in 8... See more
..is always the lowest shelf at a supermarket. Prices are approx. EUR 6 - 10 (in my country). No need to spend more as the overall build quality of even the cheapest products is sufficient for like 5 (or more) years of operation. My first criterion: classic layout as the IBM model M https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard . That was the first I ever saw with a PC computer (back in 86) and simply got used to it.

My special requirements: spacing between the keys; arrow key group separated from the others, full width (approx. 40 - 43 cm), short key stroke, white keys and black body (to better see the keys). Wired, not wireless. I don't need any special function keys, pushbuttons or knobs.

At the moment I use this: https://www.tracer.pl/klawiatura-tracer-islet-usb (probably discontinued already) and I'm happy with it.

And I suggest to follow Samuel Murray's advice: visit a store and test for yourself which keys are comfortable to your fingers.

HTH

AM

[Zmieniono 2021-09-10 12:59 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:11
German to English
Das Keyboard Sep 10, 2021

I'm on my third computer with this keyboard. It has mechanical Cherry switches and emulates the old IBM Selectric keyboard in both sound and feel.

The keyboard layout can be localized by rearranging the key caps. A keyboard without lettering is also available for highly-proficient touch typists.

There are two downsides to this device: it's expensive by any standard: over USD $100 for the least expensive model, but it's very durable – I've had mine for over 10 years.
... See more
I'm on my third computer with this keyboard. It has mechanical Cherry switches and emulates the old IBM Selectric keyboard in both sound and feel.

The keyboard layout can be localized by rearranging the key caps. A keyboard without lettering is also available for highly-proficient touch typists.

There are two downsides to this device: it's expensive by any standard: over USD $100 for the least expensive model, but it's very durable – I've had mine for over 10 years. The other downside is that it can't be taken apart for cleaning. To clean the unit, the key caps have to be removed, the keyboard has to be turned upside down, shaken to loosen accumulated detritus, blown out with compressed air or vacuumed. I soak the key caps in a solution of hot water and dishwashing detergent.

In the unlikely event I'd need to replace my current device, I'd buy another without hesitation, but I suspect that I'll wear out before this keyboard does.

[Edited at 2021-09-10 12:28 GMT]
Collapse

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Curved Sep 10, 2021

I prefer the Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000, but as has been said, manufactures change ther kb's fast, and I don't think you can still find it.
Straight kb's are awfull.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Drevo mechanical keyboard Sep 13, 2021

I'm not fussy about my own keyboards, but my best client, a tech company, is currently running a prize draw for a Drevo mechanical keyboard. Apparently they are all the rage with the company's programmers and developers. They usually know what they're doing, so I would take this recommendation as solid.

PS: I've just googled Drevo and although they are described as "budget" they seem expensive to me. I can usually get a keyboard to suit my purposes for less than ten euros.

[E
... See more
I'm not fussy about my own keyboards, but my best client, a tech company, is currently running a prize draw for a Drevo mechanical keyboard. Apparently they are all the rage with the company's programmers and developers. They usually know what they're doing, so I would take this recommendation as solid.

PS: I've just googled Drevo and although they are described as "budget" they seem expensive to me. I can usually get a keyboard to suit my purposes for less than ten euros.

[Edited at 2021-09-13 10:46 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What mechanical keyboard would you recommend? Why?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »