Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 9, 2022

Hello everyone

Starting from today, pressing Ctrl+Alt+M creates µ, and pressing Ctrl+Alt+T creates a thorn character, and pressing Ctrl+Alt+C produces ©, in all my programs (including Word). Does anyone know how to undo this hijack? Its weird that it affects all programs, not just e.g. Word. I have macros assigned to these shortcuts in Word, but all I get are those useless characters.

In fact, none of my Ctrl+Alt shortcuts in Word work anymore. It's as if Windows h
... See more
Hello everyone

Starting from today, pressing Ctrl+Alt+M creates µ, and pressing Ctrl+Alt+T creates a thorn character, and pressing Ctrl+Alt+C produces ©, in all my programs (including Word). Does anyone know how to undo this hijack? Its weird that it affects all programs, not just e.g. Word. I have macros assigned to these shortcuts in Word, but all I get are those useless characters.

In fact, none of my Ctrl+Alt shortcuts in Word work anymore. It's as if Windows has decided that such shortcuts are reserved and it won't respect Word's assignment of these shortcuts.

Thanks
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Has your keyboard layout changed? Dec 9, 2022

Could it be that your keyboard layout has changed, due to Windows being too smart?

E.g. to US International.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately Dec 9, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
Could it be that your keyboard layout has changed, due to Windows being too smart?

Unfortunately, the keyboard layout appears to be the same (I have three languages and they're all US International).

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Definitely a keyboard driver issue Dec 9, 2022

This is an intended behaviour of many keyboard layouts. US International does include the two shortcuts you mentioned, plus ctrl-alt-R producing ®, ctrl-alt-Z producing æ, ctrl-alt-L producing ø, etc. Just change the layout in Windows settings, and you'll be back to your original shortcuts.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:55
English to Russian
AHK/AutoIt Dec 9, 2022

Most probably you have already tried that but just in case. Did you try to disable all running scripts and see if that changes anything? I experienced a similar issue when I accidentally edited an AHK script.

[Edited at 2022-12-09 13:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suddenly, Ctrl+Alt+M types µ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »