Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 4, 2023

Sorry if this is not the right forum, but there is no option anymore to select between fora.
Microsoft has repeatedly offered to update from 10 to 11, but I'm not sure would I need to install all software from scratch after the switch. I looked at information about Win11 but found no answer to my concern. Anyone done the switch already?

Baran Keki

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Clean install Feb 4, 2023

Wouldn't it be a better idea to do a clean install anyway?

I have installed Windows 11 in a virtual machine and I'm impressed by its responsiveness. But this may be caused by the fact that I currently have only 3 or 4 apps installed.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:03
Italian to English
+ ...
It's OK Feb 4, 2023

Hi Heinrich
You don't need to install all your software from scratch. You might have to update some old programs.

Some info on my initial trial with Windows 11 last year (wasn't impressed) and latest (more positive) experience, here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/354050-windows_11_works_but.html
... See more
Hi Heinrich
You don't need to install all your software from scratch. You might have to update some old programs.

Some info on my initial trial with Windows 11 last year (wasn't impressed) and latest (more positive) experience, here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/354050-windows_11_works_but.html

Currently using it every day and it's OK.

[Edited at 2023-02-04 09:25 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 00:03
German to French
+ ...
No worries at all! Feb 4, 2023

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

... but I'm not sure would I need to install all software from scratch after the switch. I looked at information about Win11 but found no answer to my concern. Anyone done the switch already?

Hello Heinrich,

I migrated from Win 10 to 11 as soon as the version was released. Everything that worked with Win 10 works without any problem with 11. Just take the time to understand the new interface and make the adaptations that will be useful to you (for me, the presentation of the new contextual menu did not suit me for example and it is perfectly possible via the Registry to return to the clearer version 10). There is now a lot of literature on the changes that can be made to this version.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:03
Danish to English
+ ...
Why? Feb 4, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Wouldn't it be a better idea to do a clean install anyway?

I have installed Windows 11 in a virtual machine and I'm impressed by its responsiveness. But this may be caused by the fact that I currently have only 3 or 4 apps installed.

Why should that be a better idea if the existing installation is not corrupted? Windows 11 itself installs a clean version in separate folders. There is no problem with upgrading to Windows 11 from a normal Windows 10 system if the hardware meets the requirements. It works just like any other Windows Update.

I don't see how it should be better to destroy your entire installation and reinstall and reconfigure all your applications from scratch. It took me over a week the last time I bought a new laptop.

As for Windows 11, the best thing about it is voice typing. The Start Menu and File Explorer have some annoying 'feechurs', but they can be fixed. I don't like the very soft system sounds, which all sound the same to me. In fact, I no longer noticed when emails arrived in Outlook because the new email sound is subdued and cannot easily be distinguished from the other sounds, so I installed the Windows 10 sound and changed some of the other sounds.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Because Feb 4, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Why should that be a better idea if the existing installation is not corrupted?

There was no way to upgrade the virtual machine with Windows 10 to Windows 11 ...

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:03
Danish to English
+ ...
Special setup Feb 4, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Why should that be a better idea if the existing installation is not corrupted?

There was no way to upgrade the virtual machine with Windows 10 to Windows 11 ...

I don't know about the restrictions in a virtual machine, but it's not because of such restrictions in a special setup that it's a good idea for others to do a new installation from scratch if they just have a normal native system. There is nothing fundamentally different in Windows 11 in relation to Windows 10, so it doesn't require any more effort than any other Windows Update in a normal setup.

Platary (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happens after change from 10 to 11 Windows version

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »