Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:18
Spanish
+ ...
Mar 15, 2023

Hello everyone. I recently switched to a new PC and I'm trying to set-up a digital signature certificate but I can't find any free Windows options. The only one I found are paid, cloud-based options.

My digital signature certificate is still on my old system but I can't find instructions on how to move it to my new PC. Any idea how to do this?

I am trying to avoid any using Adobe or similar products. I use mainly FineReader and Word to sign documents, so I would like to
... See more
Hello everyone. I recently switched to a new PC and I'm trying to set-up a digital signature certificate but I can't find any free Windows options. The only one I found are paid, cloud-based options.

My digital signature certificate is still on my old system but I can't find instructions on how to move it to my new PC. Any idea how to do this?

I am trying to avoid any using Adobe or similar products. I use mainly FineReader and Word to sign documents, so I would like to add the certificate to my computer rather than using a third party altogether.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Collapse

Simon Robinson
Simon Robinson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:18
Member (Jan 2024)
Spanish to English
Does this help.....? Mar 15, 2023

https://www.acarte.com/2021/02/04/transferring-adobe-digital-signature-to-a-new-computer/

I did a Bing search for "move digital certificate to another computer" and quite a few URLs werelisted.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 18:18
English to German
Use Windows' Certificate Manager Mar 15, 2023

Claudia Alvis wrote:

My digital signature certificate is still on my old system but I can't find instructions on how to move it to my new PC.

For handling standard certificates Windows provides the CertMgr tool:
Windows-Key + r, then enter certmgr.msc or certlm.msc.
certmgr.msc displays your certificates, certlm displays the certificates of the PC (lm = local machine). In one of these locations on the old PC you should find the certificate you are looking for.

Then just use the "export task" (don't know how it is called on your PC) on the old PC and the import task on the new one.

Could be difficult if you forgot your old password and/or private key, though. Windows' certificate is encrypted for good reasons.

I am trying to avoid any using Adobe or similar products. I use mainly FineReader and Word to sign documents, so I would like to add the certificate to my computer rather than using a third party altogether.

Legally binding certificates are only issued by so-called CAs (Certificate Authorities). They are not free of charge because the respective CA must operate computer facilities so that one can check the validity at any time from anywhere in the world.

neilmac

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe Adobe? Mar 15, 2023

My own official Spanish electronic certificate is on my main PC, and I don't know how to move it to my laptop or any other computers (although I've been told it's possible). However, at Christmas I had to issue an invoice while away and found that with Adobe Acrobat you can set up a non-official e-signature. AFAIK it didn't cost me anything, and it only took a few minutes.
However, I am unable to check it out on my main PC now, because the other day a client sent me a locked PDF, and to op
... See more
My own official Spanish electronic certificate is on my main PC, and I don't know how to move it to my laptop or any other computers (although I've been told it's possible). However, at Christmas I had to issue an invoice while away and found that with Adobe Acrobat you can set up a non-official e-signature. AFAIK it didn't cost me anything, and it only took a few minutes.
However, I am unable to check it out on my main PC now, because the other day a client sent me a locked PDF, and to open it I had to subscribe to the full version of Adobe. The client subsequently cancelled the order when he found out how much it would cost to translate it, so I cancelled my subscription to Adobe, and now I only have the free of charge version with most basic functions on this PC.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Peru, you can get an official digital certificate Mar 15, 2023

Thanks everyone for your help. In the end, I found that in Peru, you can get a digital certificate with your ID card. It needs to be set up with an ID reader but it does work. I think Chile offers one as well. Maybe it's the same way in other countries. I hope this can help other people.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Certificates on national ID cards Mar 17, 2023

Claudia Alvis wrote:

in Peru, you can get a digital certificate with your ID card. It needs to be set up with an ID reader but it does work. (...) Maybe it's the same way in other countries.

In Germany and other EU countries, the electronic ID card has - in addition to its main function - a chip memory for optionally purchasable, legally binding certificates. Practically hardly any citizens even know about this feature, and the annual fee is not very low. Just curious: Are such certificates in Peru available free of charge for everyone?

As you need the ID card in every day life, you usually have it in your wallet. If it is lost, stolen or simply becomes defective, the certificate is lost as well - or falls into the wrong hands. So it may be better to buy a separate certificate card to keep at home.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not free but cheap Mar 17, 2023

Rolf Keller wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:

in Peru, you can get a digital certificate with your ID card. It needs to be set up with an ID reader but it does work. (...) Maybe it's the same way in other countries.

In Germany and other EU countries, the electronic ID card has - in addition to its main function - a chip memory for optionally purchasable, legally binding certificates. Practically hardly any citizens even know about this feature, and the annual fee is not very low. Just curious: Are such certificates in Peru available free of charge for everyone?

Hi Rolf.

In Peru, when you get a biometric ID (which is relatively new), you get the digital certificate for free for the first four years. When I got mine, I was given the certificate and I set up the passcode, but it went completely through my mind even though I was aware of digital certificates back then.

I order to renew it for two more years, I paid the equivalent of 1.64 EUR but had to buy the card reader for like 18 EUR. It's still a good deal but, just like in Germany, people aren't aware of this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help setting up a digital signature certificate on Windows 11

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »