Copy pasting content sent to the cloud in Windows 11 (clipboard privacy policies)
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:51
English to French
+ ...
Dec 28, 2023

Hi,
I just thought it would be useful to put this information out there. If you are a Windows 11 user, when you select and copy some text, the default behaviour will be that Windows will store several items and sync them with the cloud.
For those that translate very sensitive material, this is something that you’ll have to consider. I generally have good confidence in the security for Microsoft servers, but the syncing means that all devices on which you are using the same Microsof
... See more
Hi,
I just thought it would be useful to put this information out there. If you are a Windows 11 user, when you select and copy some text, the default behaviour will be that Windows will store several items and sync them with the cloud.
For those that translate very sensitive material, this is something that you’ll have to consider. I generally have good confidence in the security for Microsoft servers, but the syncing means that all devices on which you are using the same Microsoft account will also get the same contents made available, so if you’re in this situation and have different levels of security depending on your device use, this is then important to look at.
This is fixed in Windows 11 by going to your Settings/System/Clipboard and turning off “Clipboard history across devices”. You can also turn off Clipboard history if you need to. After each Windows 11 update, you’ll have to come back to this to check if the update did not revert this setting back to active.

Note for the tech savvy: If you go down the Registry Editor route to block this permanently, Windows will refuse to grant third party app access to your clipboard’s contents. Copy pasting manually will work but tools that grab text and place it in the clipboard automatically will not be able to do it.
That’s it
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Silvia Pellacani
Vest

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy pasting content sent to the cloud in Windows 11 (clipboard privacy policies)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »