Installing Office on two different computers
Thread poster: Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Jul 23, 2006

A simple question that I can't find the answer to... I just acquired a new version of Office and would like to install it on both my desktop and laptop- can I do that? Or can I only install the disk once?

Thanks-
Jennifer

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:31
Italian to English
In memoriam
The licence is for one computer only, at least AFAIK Jul 23, 2006

Hi Jennifer,

During the installation routine, you are asked to "activate" the product over the internet (you can do it by phone but I wouldn't bother as you have to read out and write down long alphanumerical codes).

This operation, which ties the installation to your computer's configuration, is designed to combat piracy. I don't know what would happen if you attempted to install the same product on two computers but I imagine Microsoft might object.

I hav
... See more
Hi Jennifer,

During the installation routine, you are asked to "activate" the product over the internet (you can do it by phone but I wouldn't bother as you have to read out and write down long alphanumerical codes).

This operation, which ties the installation to your computer's configuration, is designed to combat piracy. I don't know what would happen if you attempted to install the same product on two computers but I imagine Microsoft might object.

I have separate licences for Office XP on my desktop and laptop, both of which I have of course written off against tax.

HTH

Giles
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:31
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
It works on two computers Jul 23, 2006

Hi Jennifer,

I purchased the Office 2003 suite and managed to install it successfully on both my pc and my laptop.

Having actually read the Terms and Conditions (you know, that very long text bit one always 'agrees to' without reading it...), it does mention the fact that the licence is for two installations.

So go ahead and install it on the two computers, and enter the activation key for each installation - it should work.

Doron

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Terms and conditions Jul 23, 2006

Doron Greenspan wrote:

Having actually read the Terms and Conditions (you know, that very long text bit one always 'agrees to' without reading it...), it does mention the fact that the licence is for two installations.

Doron

Hi Doron,

In the documentation supplied with my Italian edition of Office 2003, it says:

Per ridurre il rischio di pirateria informatica, nelle edizioni di Office 2003 viene utilizzato l sistema di attivazione dei prodotti, che consente l'installazione della copia di Office 2003 in un solo computer.

Either it was mistranslated or Microsoft are having a laugh ; -)

Cheers,

Giles

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pro versions Jul 23, 2006

may be installed on one main computer and one back-up (or used in networking mode).

The first installation may be registered on-line. The second has to be done by telephone. If changing hard disks, it is necessary to notify your local support office.

Jennifer Baker
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm going to try it- Jul 24, 2006

I'm going to go ahead and install on my laptop in between jobs today- then I'll get to the desktop.
A note for Giles- sounds like the usual "Italianata"- I know they love to talk about "Americanate" over here, but this is one more time that Italians wind up with the short end of the stick! My Office is a US version, and it doesn't have the statement that you said is in the Italian one! Must be same mysterious force that causes so many things (an international driving permit, for example) t
... See more
I'm going to go ahead and install on my laptop in between jobs today- then I'll get to the desktop.
A note for Giles- sounds like the usual "Italianata"- I know they love to talk about "Americanate" over here, but this is one more time that Italians wind up with the short end of the stick! My Office is a US version, and it doesn't have the statement that you said is in the Italian one! Must be same mysterious force that causes so many things (an international driving permit, for example) to cost many times here what it does in the US... major Italianata!
Jennifer
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:31
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Microsoft are always having the last laugh... Jul 24, 2006

Giles, it seems MS Israel are more liberal in their attitude, perhaps to fight piracy by removing the need for such in the first place...

I believe it's common these days to have software packages which allow for 2 installations, as many professional people (translators, for example) have two computers by default.

Viva MS! Doron

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Working installations and back-up Jul 24, 2006

Doron Greenspan wrote:

Giles, it seems MS Israel are more liberal in their attitude, perhaps to fight piracy by removing the need for such in the first place...

I believe it's common these days to have software packages which allow for 2 installations, as many professional people (translators, for example) have two computers by default.

Viva MS! Doron

Hi again Jennifer and Doron,

Parrot's message makes sense - to permit one installation only without any possibility of back-up would simply be to create unnecessary problems for Microsoft's support facilities - but I don't think that Bill Gates' original intention was to allow two working installations per licence, unlike Trados etc.

I imagine that Jennifer's second installation will be OK (and do tell us whether you have to make a telephone activation, Jennifer!).

That aside, the piracy issue is far from over so we can look forward to further developments in future editions of MS (Open?) Office.

Cheers,

Giles

Jennifer Baker
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Another question- Jul 24, 2006

I have another question before I go forward- Will I lose my info in Outlook (calander and address book) when I install the new version? The manual states, "All of your Outlook 2002 data will work with Outlook 2003". The only problem is that I'm upgrading from Outlook 2000. Hmmm... anyone have any experience with this? I could replace my addresses, but my calander is sacred!
And to think I'll have to re-install Wordfast too! But that looks pretty straightforward. The only problem is time, t
... See more
I have another question before I go forward- Will I lose my info in Outlook (calander and address book) when I install the new version? The manual states, "All of your Outlook 2002 data will work with Outlook 2003". The only problem is that I'm upgrading from Outlook 2000. Hmmm... anyone have any experience with this? I could replace my addresses, but my calander is sacred!
And to think I'll have to re-install Wordfast too! But that looks pretty straightforward. The only problem is time, time, time...
Thanks for everyone's advice-
Jennifer
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Of course... on as many computers as you wish... Jul 24, 2006

JL Baker wrote:
I just acquired a new version of Office and would like to install it on both my desktop and laptop - can I do that? Or can I only install the disk once?

I assume you're referring to OpenOffice.org. You can breathe freely... install it on as many computers as you like.

Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
English to French
+ ...
export outlook files Jul 24, 2006

To be sure you do not loose outlook data you can export it on a cd or usb key and then import it to the computer where you install the new version of office. It's also useful to have the same data on both computers. I did it from a 1997 version of office to the 2003 so it should work from your 2000 to 2003. You have to click on import/export under file. I asked the question on a forum back in april or may.

Jennifer Baker
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Elisabetta! Jul 24, 2006

That's exactly what I will do-
Jennifer

david h
david h
United States
Local time: 06:31
i couldnt put office 2003 on two computers Jun 27, 2009

hi, earlier, someone said that you can put office 2003 on at least two computers. well, i tried to install it on my laptop and desktop, but i put it on the desktop first. And i also initialized it (you remember? the first time you open it, it says to initialize it or you have this many times of use left)
Then, later, i tried intalling it on my laptop. the installation went fine, but it wouldnt let me initialize it a second time. So, i can still use it, but i have a limited number of us
... See more
hi, earlier, someone said that you can put office 2003 on at least two computers. well, i tried to install it on my laptop and desktop, but i put it on the desktop first. And i also initialized it (you remember? the first time you open it, it says to initialize it or you have this many times of use left)
Then, later, i tried intalling it on my laptop. the installation went fine, but it wouldnt let me initialize it a second time. So, i can still use it, but i have a limited number of uses until it starts losing features.
does anyone know how i can initialize it a second time?
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Please check your licence Jun 28, 2009

david h wrote:
does anyone know how i can initialize it a second time?

Please check what does your licence say. Otherwise please contact MS support.

[Edited at 2009-06-28 09:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing Office on two different computers

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »