Is it possible to download a file translated in Memoq web?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 20:42
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 12, 2023

Hi friends,

I am translating some files by using Memoq web. I understand that I may get the similar text from my other clients in future and that is why, I want to download these files but I can't see any button to download the files unlike some other online tools. It is a time-consuming process to copy and paste each and every segment.

Can it be done in a convenient manner?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Hayley Wakenshaw

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rajan Sep 12, 2023

Rajan Chopra wrote:
I am translating some files by using MemoQweb.

As far as I know, this can't be done in MemoQweb. However, your client would be able to send you the files, if you ask them.

A number of years ago I used an AutoIt script to extract content from MemoQweb. You're welcome to try it:
http://www.leuce.com/autoit/memoqweb.zip
However, it's been a while since I used it, and I don't know if it still works (online CAT tool vendors tend to make changes their tools that break scripts). You need to install AutoIt to use the script. You click a segment, then press the shortcut key, then click another segment, then press the shortcut key again, etc.

[Edited at 2023-09-12 09:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-09-12 09:46 GMT]

Hayley Wakenshaw
Rajan Chopra

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
Nope Sep 12, 2023

I fine-tune and perform multiple checks on my translations, which usually involve generating a target file at least twice for every text. I spent literal hours trying to work out how to do this in the web version of MemoQ. Because it seems like an obvious thing that a translator would want to do, doesn’t it? Surely that functionality would be included in the web version, as it is for WordBee? I was sure I was just being dim or that my Google skills were suddenly below par. But I could not work... See more
I fine-tune and perform multiple checks on my translations, which usually involve generating a target file at least twice for every text. I spent literal hours trying to work out how to do this in the web version of MemoQ. Because it seems like an obvious thing that a translator would want to do, doesn’t it? Surely that functionality would be included in the web version, as it is for WordBee? I was sure I was just being dim or that my Google skills were suddenly below par. But I could not work out how to do it.

That’s because it’s not possible. You can only do this yourself if you are using the actual CAT tool rather than the browser version. But, because I only have one client who works with MQxliff, I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on a licence.

If you want a target file, you should be able to ask your PM to generate it for you. It’s less than ideal. There are alternatives, like using your preferred CAT tool and generating a compatible xliff for your client, but sometimes that’s not going to work with their own processes.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to download a file translated in Memoq web?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »