Translating DIN standards DE-EN
Thread poster: Rachel E
Rachel E
Rachel E
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:11
Feb 1, 2013

Hi,

I am translating a document from German to English that refers to DIN standards throughout the whole thing. Then at the end there is a list of documents that are referred to. Should I leave all of these documents and standards in German or translate them into English?

Any help greatly appreciated

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 02:11
German to English
+ ...
Translations already exist Feb 1, 2013

for some.

Try this site:
http://www.beuth.de/en/article/download2008?gclid=COWrvpb1lbUCFYVb3godYxoAwA

Trouble is, they cost. But you migth be able to find out the official translated titles at least.

[Edited at 2013-02-01 20:11 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
ask your client. Feb 1, 2013

I suggest to ask your client. It depends on him whether you should translate the titles of those DINs and documents into English or leave them in German.

In case you should translate, follow David's advice.

By the way: I do not understand why the idea of translating the entire text of any document referenced to.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't Feb 1, 2013

Don't ask your client. Enter the reference numbers into www.beuth.de/de, where you will find the existing English titles.

[Bearbeitet am 2013-02-01 21:38 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2013-02-01 21:38 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2013-02-01 21:40 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2013-02-01 21:41 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Why not? Feb 2, 2013

Rolf Kern wrote:
Don't ask your client.]

Why do you think Rachel should NOT ask?

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 20:11
Member (2011)
English to German
Search for the appropriate document titles and numbers. Feb 2, 2013

Rachel E wrote:

Should I leave all of these documents and standards in German or translate them into English?

I wouldn't "translate" the titles of the DIN standards.

If an official English title exits, then use it together with the appropriate document number. Otherwise, stick to the German titles.

This link might also be helpful: http://www.dibt.de/de/Service/Dokumente-Listen-eu-harmonisierte-Normen.html

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:11
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Rolf Feb 3, 2013

Definitely don't ask! There are usually English translations, at least of the titles and your job as a translator is to find what they are and use them! The German title won't be any use of all to your client and you will make yourself look less professional if you ask. If the client needs to refer to the actual standard he will need to access the English version, not the German one anyway. The number will remain the same anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating DIN standards DE-EN

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »